Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helping me find the perfect bike!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 09:18 PM
Misspmatzke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello friends!
My name is Paige, I live in Wisconsin and really want to get back into biking. I use to bike all the time in the summer months a few years back and would really love to start again to get back into shape. Because it's been a LONG time since I have biked Im interested in finding a new perfect bike for my needs. I mainly bike on roads but every so often will venture off onto trails and explore the unknown I really want something that will help me get fit but also enjoy biking for fun. The other bike I have is the brand Specialized and I really enjoy their product. Is there anything you all can recommend for me?!
Thanks SO much!!!
Old 05-17-17, 10:04 PM
Robert P

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Misspmatzke
The other bike I have is the brand Specialized and I really enjoy their product.
Is there anything you want to do that your Specialized won't do? I'm not acquainted with Specialized bikes.
Old 05-17-17, 10:13 PM
Barabaika

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First, find the size of bicycles that you should be looking for https://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer
You can try different sizes at a bigger store.

Then, look on Craigslist for a used bike: https://madison.craigslist.org/search/bia
The cheaper a bike, the more you will ride it without worrying about theft. Don't look for a Walmart bike. Look for a nice old bicycle with "outdated" components.

If your size is 52cm, this can be a very nice bike.
Nishiki Riviera GT Grand Touring

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/6101565881.html

It's a little bit expensive, but it's almost in mint condition. You can try to negotiate.
This bike accepts fenders and racks. It can be a perfect commuter or a touring bike.

Last edited by Barabaika; 05-17-17 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 10:54 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Price range you are interested in, and a picture of your current bike would be a great help to everyone who wants to assist you.

A "needs" and "wants" list would also help.

For example do you want disc brakes? Or is it a deal breaker?
Old 05-18-17, 07:38 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
1) Toss out the notion of finding something PERFECT, because it likely doesn't exist. Focusing on perfect can lead to you missing very good bikes sitting right in front of you.

2) Make a list of what you want your bike to do. Saying you are riding on road is very generic, define it a bit more. Are you talking about a few miles on lazy park paved paths, or 100 mile rides at a fast pace? When you say trails, do you mean unpaved park paths, or do you mean a single track at a MTB park, or maybe two track forest roads?

3) You say you currently have a Specialized. What model is it specifically, and what about it don't you like? You are at an advantage of already having a bike you don't like, much in the same manner as #2, list those dislikes so you can exclude new bikes with those same issues.
Old 05-18-17, 07:58 AM
Crawdaddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably best to visit a few bike shops and look at different models first. They will be glad to help you narrow down what type of bike that fits your style and that fits you. Test ride many. Then if torn between a couple models I'd ask here at BF for people that might own or know about those bikes.
Old 05-18-17, 08:16 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Misspmatzke
Hello friends!
My name is Paige, I live in Wisconsin and really want to get back into biking. I use to bike all the time in the summer months a few years back and would really love to start again to get back into shape. Because it's been a LONG time since I have biked Im interested in finding a new perfect bike for my needs. I mainly bike on roads but every so often will venture off onto trails and explore the unknown I really want something that will help me get fit but also enjoy biking for fun. The other bike I have is the brand Specialized and I really enjoy their product. Is there anything you all can recommend for me?!
Thanks SO much!!!
Get a light 29" mountain bike, fit it with Thickslick flat guard city tires. Nothing more to do.