Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repair Stand: Bench or Free standing?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 10:00 AM
Guanto Hilario

Bikes: Jamis Satellite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm trying to decide between two types of Repair Stand. The cost difference is considerable, about $50. I can't post URLs yet, so bear with me.

The bench mounted stand is the Conquer Bench Mount Bicycle Repair Stand Bike Rack runs about $28.

The free standing stand is Bikehand Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Rack Stand and is $89.

I would love to hear any experiences anyone has had with either of these types of repair stands. Or if anyone has a preference either way, why?
Old 05-19-17, 10:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The bad thing about a bench mounted work stand is that it positions the bike between you and the work bench. That limits your ability to use the work bench. Also, you can only access one side of the bike at a time. Unless you have serious space limitations, that's going to be much less convenient.
Old 05-19-17, 11:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Freestanding any and every day. One can move it around, put it in your car, loan it out to a friend and much more easily sell it when you want to. Andy
Old 05-19-17, 11:26 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I have one of the early Park single-arm stands that mounts on the square base. I prefer to use it freestanding but current space considerations required me to make adjustments so I now have it mounted to my rolling bench. Not ideal but it gets the job done and I can convert back if I choose to do so.
bench Park stand.JPG

Shop policy for a crowded garage: Everything is off the floor or mounted on wheels so it can be moved easily. We moved from a house that had a basement and an attic but no garage to a house with a garage but no attic or basement, so everything (plus a lot of what we acquired since the move) is in the garage. Trust me, things do expand to fill the available space.

Last edited by thumpism; 05-19-17 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-19-17, 11:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Race stand supports under the BB, and by the dropouts of either wheel ..

Park (etc) Shop Stands have a pole with the Jaws mounted out one side of the top.

those are easy to walk around, a Bench mount obviously one side only.

Old 05-19-17, 11:44 AM
skimaxpower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scour your local classifieds for a used repair stand. You can probably get a high quality used stand for less than a medium quality new stand. (And skip the shipping costs.)
Old 05-19-17, 12:21 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Aldi (if you had one near you) has a decent looking stand on sale this month for about $30. Supplies are limited to a few/store, but if you life in a region with little cycling like I do, there might still be one - there was one at mine last Sunday and I almost bought it even though I don't need another stand.
Old 05-19-17, 12:21 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
If it is an option, freestanding is the only way to go. Hard mounted stands belong in shops, and even then, you'd be hard pressed to find one that wasn't mounted mid-floor.

That said, if you have space constraints, and are unconcerned about flipping the bike when you need to access the other side (read: not working for money), a bench/wall mount is both perfectly permissible, and desirable. The wall mount can also be used to store the bike, if that matters to you...
Old 05-19-17, 03:29 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
get the free-standing one.
Old 05-19-17, 04:38 PM
Robert P

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Guanto Hilario
The free standing stand is Bikehand Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Rack Stand and is $89.
The bike shops I've seen use a floor-mounted stand with plenty of room to move around the entire stand.

I have a Bikehand stand and it's great. The one thing about it is the two-leg configuration can make the balance less than solid. I can see if you were to accidentally bump it hard at the right angle with a bike on it, it could go over. Hasn't happened to me yet. You definitely want to have it on a level surface or if on a slight incline like on a driveway that you have it angled so it's the most stable. What you might do is have a couple of sandbags to put on the ends of the legs to add stability.

With this familiarity, I would think about looking at something with a four-leg base - maybe something like this. It folds up about as compact as the Bikehand and has four legs. Looking at it, my question is how strong the head junction piece at the upright tube is, if it will hold up over time. Also, the Bikehand has a flip-lever for tightening, this one uses a large turn-screw type.

https://www.amazon.com/RAD-Cycle-Pro.../dp/B0065PHDZE

Here's a video of the same stand.

I see it's on sale at this vendor.

https://bestchoiceproducts.com/produ...FYQkhgodoVsEvA

Last edited by Robert P; 05-19-17 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 04:46 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you work on a lot of bikes you'll find you need more than one type.

I'm not a fan of Park tools in general, most Park stuff is low rent and closer to Harbor Freight quality, than being professional Snap-On shop quality. I don't like Park shop stands and really don't like Park consumer stands.

I've got a two-headed Pedro's Rockstand which I love. However you can't get them anymore. I still end up using an Ultimate portable stand a lot when a lot of projects are being worked on at once.

Classic Cinelli or Campagnolo stands are awesome.

The best stands hands down are made by EVT but expensive, but they lift the bike with a counterweight.

Last edited by mtnbke; 05-19-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 06:48 PM
Robert P

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
The best stands hands down are made by EVT but expensive, but they lift the bike with a counterweight.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FhVOrRaB0Fg
Fantastic. Clearly the winner in overall functionality if you have a large area to dedicate to it.

I'm guessing the price is going to be around the $1000 mark?

If you have fabricating skills it doesn't seem like it would be a big trick to make something similar and mate a high-end Park bench clamp to it. Some wheels welded to the base to give it some degree of portability so you could at least move it off to the side would be a good idea.

Last edited by Robert P; 05-19-17 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 07:37 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert P
Fantastic. Clearly the winner in overall functionality if you have a large area to dedicate to it.

I'm guessing the price is going to be around the $1000 mark?

If you have fabricating skills it doesn't seem like it would be a big trick to make something similar and mate a high-end Park bench clamp to it. Some wheels welded to the base to give it some degree of portability so you could at least move it off to the side would be a good idea.

Minoura made a much less expensive lift-assist stand, no longer in production. You may be able to find one in a warehouse, somewhere. It work(ed) quite nicely, if a bit wiggly in the pivots.
Old 05-20-17, 07:50 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by skimaxpower
Scour your local classifieds for a used repair stand. You can probably get a high quality used stand for less than a medium quality new stand. (And skip the shipping costs.)
Do this and you can get a better stand for your $ which even if you are a weekend occasional mechanic you will come to appreciate. I have three stands in my hanger, one is fixed and despite the good advise above to go free standing I use the bench stand as often as the others. Admittedly I have to turn the bike around to the ND side from time to time, but that is rare. It is easy to reach around the bike and grab lots of stuff off the bench.
Old 06-16-17, 04:00 PM
Guanto Hilario

Bikes: Jamis Satellite

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by himespau
Aldi (if you had one near you) has a decent looking stand on sale this month for about $30. Supplies are limited to a few/store, but if you life in a region with little cycling like I do, there might still be one - there was one at mine last Sunday and I almost bought it even though I don't need another stand.
I ended up getting the Aldi Bikehand repair Stand. It was the last of two on the shelf. Easy setup. Takes up a bit of space when setup, but it's sturdy and folds up nicely.

Thanks for all the input here.
Old 06-16-17, 07:48 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Free standing
Old 06-16-17, 08:49 PM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Guanto Hilario
I ended up getting the Aldi Bikehand repair Stand. It was the last of two on the shelf. Easy setup. Takes up a bit of space when setup, but it's sturdy and folds up nicely.

Thanks for all the input here.
You'll be happy with that freestanding one. I've a makeshift work-horse type of stand and also a freestanding one. I love the portability.