Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra 8000 front derailleur rub; is it me or the cranksets

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-19, 10:59 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts

Working with 4 bikes each with ultegra front derailleurs but only on the bikes with ultegra cranksets can I easily eliminate chain rub in all gears.

Bike 1: Custom titanium Road bike with 6800 FD and ultegra cranks, chain passes the cage in all directions after minor adjustments of limit screws and cable tension using in line barrel adjuster

Bike 2: Salsa gravel bike with R8000 and ultegra cranks, rub eliminated following set up directions, adjusting combinations of L, H, and cable tensions screws on the derailleur

Bike 3: CAAD10 road bike with R8000 FD and SRAM Red cranks. Chain rub in big/big combo eliminated, but after much tinkering and smaller cap between chain and cage when in highest gear so much less room for error

Bike 4: Salsa Gravel bike with r8000 and praxis cranks.Could not eliminate chain rub in big big combo without creating rub in highest gear.
Old 12-01-19, 01:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I think you are doing OK. Shimano doesn't expect us to be able to consistently use big/big w/o rubbing.

Old 12-01-19, 01:11 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Right. The "Big/Big" and "Small / Small" combinations are the extremes of chain tension and slack, as well as chain angle. This is particularly true of bikes with short chainstays.

Other gear combinations can approximate the ratios in those combinations. So, don't use them.

For best shifting the outer piece of the front derailleur cage should be parallel (in plane with) with the large chainring.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 12-01-19, 02:00 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Do your 2 Salsa gravel bikes have the same length chainstays? If one is shorter than the other that might furnish a clue