Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite vintage mountain bikes?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What are your favorite vintage mountain bikes?

Old 07-19-19, 09:41 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Sounds nice! Any pictures? I think yours might be a little newer than my '85 (?); mine has the metal cable guides. Also, unless you already did, check the rear dropouts for "initials". Mine has "TC" in a circle stamped on the outside of the non-drive side dropout. These are supposedly the initials of the person who built the frame. I understand that many, but not all Cannondales from this general era have this. Enjoy the bike!
Hmm! Interesting info about the builders initials. I'll have to look now. I think I did a thread on this bike sometime but I'll have to check that too. This picture is the only one I have of it just after purchase; in this picture it's as original as it ever will be because the grips and pink cable housing are gone. Note the cable guide near the seatpost had already let go, even with light use. You are fortunate you have the one with integrated metal ones. The paint quality is nice on this frame but aluminum will indeed oxidize and in some spots the paint just let go. Uses a standard 27.2 seatpost.

Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 07-21-19, 06:51 PM
bicybike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Wow I somehow missed all the replies in this thread originally but these are some amazing bikes y'all have
Old 07-21-19, 06:54 PM
bicybike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BFisher
This is magnificent.
agreeeeeed
Old 12-03-19, 08:41 AM
Jsnaggle

Bikes: 1991 Bridgestone MB-1, 2022 BMC Monstercross, 1990 Bianchi Axis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mb-1
Old 12-03-19, 09:02 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Mine

Tomac's

The only MTB's , new or old - I ride anymore are from the snowmen -- not intentional - just how it worked out

Old 12-03-19, 09:40 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
I have been giving this a lot of thought and honestly when it comes to vintage MTB's you don't always get what you paid for, and sometimes you get a lot more than. I coveted the early lugged Stumpjumper(s) at least until I actually purchased mine . Granted mine was a Stumpjumper Sport model which admittedly is not as cool as a ,Team model which reportedly makes a difference in the weight department . Unfortunately for me the Stumpjumper was a tad too large so I ended up parting ways with it...

Fast forward 2 years , I end up getting a 1991 Rock Hopper for what amounts to free,. Very nice paint no real damage to speak of 19 inch frame size give or take a tad... and the icing on the cake so to speak is that this frame is fully double butted Tange tubing (this frame is actually lighter than that lugged Stumpy was) with a unicrown fork / no lugs . Another virtue is the 135mm in the rear drop outs, So I am currently building this bike out as we speak using a very nice set of wheels with XT hubs / Mavic rims which are very light compared to the original 7 speed wheels and a 1x10 drive train in an effort to make a lightweight vintage gravelish / cruiser bike.

The original specs from Specialized said that the 1991 Rock Hopper said the weight was 27 pounds , when I weighed the fully built bike before stripping was actually 30 pounds. My goal with my build is to get below the stated 27 pounds .

Now that I have went tangential in my thoughts which are this, I hope people do not realize what a great deal those early 90's Rock Hopper bikes are because they are almost free or literally free in some cases.

Last edited by SamSpade1941; 12-03-19 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 11:01 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,190 Posts
You just looking for tire clearance or off road performance? The old bikes were all good until you got into the mud. Bigger tires makes that tolerance go away.

Pretty close to max, but they sure soften the ride. Dry condition tires...
Old 12-03-19, 09:06 PM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Late 80s and early 90s blue Schwinn's for me 😀
Old 12-03-19, 11:28 PM
snowball123

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I have a fillet brazed Ritchey Timberwolf but any of the other higher end models will do too! Also been looking for a Cannondale SM600, with 26/24 inch wheels.
Likes For snowball123:
Old 12-03-19, 11:28 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
You just looking for tire clearance or off road performance? The old bikes were all good until you got into the mud. Bigger tires makes that tolerance go away.

Pretty close to max, but they sure soften the ride. Dry condition tires...
Is that an Orient Express? I bombed around on a Peugeot Orient Express for years and loved it. The thing had slack enough geometry giving enough trail to keep the fork pointed down the path in spite of my worst decisions. Probably saved my stupid young skull a few times. You could steer a little even with the front wheel locked up, and it handled high speeds over rock gardens surprisingly well. What a tank!

But what I'd really like to try is an old Merlin titanium 26er.

Last edited by scarlson; 12-03-19 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-04-19, 12:02 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Is that an Orient Express? I bombed around on a Peugeot Orient Express for years and loved it. The thing had slack enough geometry giving enough trail to keep the fork pointed down the path in spite of my worst decisions. Probably saved my stupid young skull a few times. You could steer a little even with the front wheel locked up, and it handled high speeds over rock gardens surprisingly well. What a tank!

It is. Working on a Canyon Express that's in a lot of need.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 12-04-19, 12:22 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
The first brand new bike I ever bought myself in 1989. It was stolen a year later.
I have a soft spot for specialized bikes. Especially the cool colors of the late 80s.
Id like to find another someday.
Google pic for reference.
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 12-04-19, 02:23 AM
mikemikes

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
This is magnificent.
true
Old 12-04-19, 02:23 AM
mikemikes

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson

i klove this one
Old 12-04-19, 07:08 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
I bought this Schwinn Sierra in 1986 after reading a review in Bicycling magazine. It was my introduction to off-road biking, although the vast majority of it's miles have been on pavement or bike trails with the kids in tow. More recently, I built it into a drop-bar gravel bike. The geometry was well suited for that sort of riding, but all the roads near me are paved.
I had intended on getting the bike in red, but the shop only had Black Chrome. After having it all these years, I I think the Black Chrome was the better choice. It has some nicks but looks pretty good overall.

1986 Schwinn Sierra in Black Chrome
I put as many of the original parts back on as I could for the picture.
Old 12-04-19, 08:20 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
My favourite all around rider ... 88 Miele Aries... pretty much all original (ex tires/cables/seat) and I just love riding it.
Likes For markk900:
Old 12-04-19, 08:40 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 122 Posts
Here is my late 80s I believe, Nishiki Colorado Cunningham Design I picked up last year knowing nothing about it. I cleaned it up and installed some new street tires and had fun with it.

Likes For 76SLT:
Old 12-04-19, 03:29 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
My 1992 Stumpjumper Comp with Prestige tubing is a really fun all-rounder.

Likes For due ruote:
Old 12-05-19, 01:03 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 206 Posts

My favorite flat-bar gravel bike, ah... forgive me; vintage mountain bike.
Ritchey Ultra from 1989. Made in Japan, not the USA. I'm the second owner; I bought it used in 1992 and have had it since.
Now upgraded to mostly XT parts. Still running thumbshifters in 8-speeds using the "ghost shift" position.
Here on the fire roads above Santa Barbara, CA.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 12-05-19, 01:48 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 1,180 Posts
^^^^^^^ That is one loooong reach stem, looks like it could reach into the next dimension.
Old 12-05-19, 07:11 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 74 Posts
I'm a late arrival to this type of bike...like the last few months! But I've made a good start with a couple of 80s bikes that my wife and I will be riding next year. And who knows, something even better might come along this winter.

1986 (I think) Stumpjumper Sport, bought from original owner. Kinda rough, rode hard and stored for many years, but should clean up well. PO says that she broke the original frame so Specialized sent her a replacement; she worked in a shop so knows what she's talking about. She also replaced the original stem with a Salsa. Build is a curious mixture: Specialized 'flag' crankset, Shimano LX RD but 'Deerhead' front, D-C brake levers but Shimano canti in front and the rear is a roller-cam I haven't seen a name on yet, but looks like the Suntour one. Also the wheels don't match, both have Saturae rims (different widths!) but rear hub is Specialized and front is Deore. Of course this doesn't mean those parts aren't original!

1988 (I think) Schwinn Cimarron, nice mostly original condition, bought from wrk101! And re-using his picture.

Last edited by Chicago Al; 12-06-19 at 01:06 PM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 12-06-19, 01:41 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
I'm a late arrival to this type of bike...like the last few months! But I've made a good start with a couple of 80s bikes that my wife and I will be riding next year. And who knows, something even better might come along this winter.

1986 (I think) Stumpjumper Sport, bought from original owner. Kinda rough, rode hard and stored for many years, but should clean up well. PO says that she broke the original frame so Specialized sent her a replacement; she worked in a shop so knows what she's talking about. She also replaced the original stem with a Salsa. Build is a curious mixture: Specialized 'flag' crankset, Shimano LX RD but 'Deerhead' front, D-C brake levers but Shimano canti in front and the rear is a roller-cam I haven't seen a name on yet, but looks like the Suntour one. Also the wheels don't match, both have Saturae rims (different widths!) but rear hub is Specialized and front is Deore. Of course this doesn't mean those parts aren't original!

1988 (I think) Schwinn Cimarron, nice mostly original condition, bought from wrk101! And re-using his picture.

You got 2 nice ones. Love that orange Stumpy. If 86, it must be one of the last lugged ones.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 12-06-19, 01:44 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 253 Posts
Bad case of N+1 lately:
Noticed old mt. bike prices were low, so I got a 95 Schwinn Moab Anniversary Edition, added tires, fenders, saddle, lights & scraps of bar tape. Now it's my favorite errand bike.

Same day I found the Moab, I called on this 1991 Gary Fisher Montare and arranged to pick up a few days later. Cheap, with unusual frame geometry! On gravel and local trails, it climbs fast and turns on a dime. I go slow on descents tho, as it's twitchy at speed. I added a N.O.S. front shifter, old fenders, old saddle and tail light.

So I wanted 1 but got 2. then, just recently, I found a Fisher HK-II. Components have mid to late 1988 date codes so I think it's an 89 model. Color is close to Gios Blue. Seller added the fenders, new saddle is by me. Came with a flat Mt. bike bar. I was converting to moustache bars, but some heavy lifting strained my back muscles, so went with VO porteur bars. That's all for now. Don

1995 Schwinn Moab

1991 Gary Fisher Montare

1989 Fisher HK-II
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 12-06-19, 01:51 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 253 Posts
Both of the Fisher bikes have clearance for bigger tires. Those are 2" on the HK-II now, and with fenders off, could go way larger. Don
Old 12-06-19, 05:26 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo

1991 Gary Fisher Montare
I had a 1992 Montare. I really liked that bike. I ended up replacing it with a 93 Paramount.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.