Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kickstand; Yes or No?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kickstand; Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 03:55 PM
Nikon Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Kickstand; Yes or No?

I currently own 4 bikes but only one of them (a cruiser) came with a kickstand. They occupy my already packed garage and rest against boxes.

That got me thinking about purchasing kickstands in order to make them easier to store.

One of my bikes is a Fuji Tahoe mountain bike. I use it for the rare trail rides whenever possible. Another is a Trek FX 7.2 I use for excercise, and the other one is a Fuji Tread 1.3 (gravel bike) I use for longer distance riding. I haven't used the cruiser (Trek Calypso Cruiser) in the last 4 years or so.

I'm debating whether to place a side kickstand on the Trek 7.2, maybe another one on the mountain bike. I definitely would not place one on my Fuji Tread as it has an aluminium frame.

I have been reading different opinions on kickstands; some people swear by them, other people want nothing to do with kickstands. Some folks even consider them an insult to bikes!

What are your thoughts on kickstands? Love them, hate them, indifferent? Are they a great accessory, or an abomination?
Old 03-24-17, 04:12 PM
RunForTheHills

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think there are better options for storage in your garage than a kickstand, including floor stands, wall brackets, and ceiling hooks/pulley systems. One of these just came in the mail for me from Amazon:

MTA:

I also have one of these from Harbor Freight:

Last edited by RunForTheHills; 03-24-17 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 04:17 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I'll leave them on as long as they work. But I don't think I've ever replaced a broken one, only removed them.

I can see the merit in the double ones for (heavily) loaded bikes.
Old 03-24-17, 04:25 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by RunForTheHills
I think there are better options for storage in your garage than a kickstand, including floor stands, wall brackets, and ceiling hooks/pulley systems.

I also have one of these from Harbor Freight:

Agreed on the HF rack. For the money (and upgraded casters) it's hard to beat. I'm actually thinking of buying another one. Look for their 20% off coupon and a sale and get it cheap!
Old 03-24-17, 05:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I like kickstands, and have the same problem with trying to park the entire family fleet bikes in the garage. Not every bike will even accommodate a kickstand. Frame design and material, and your personal tastes, are deciding factors.

For the bikes that don't have kickstands, I made these simple floor stands from scrap plywood. So they were essentially free, and took a few minutes to make. When they're not in use, I can simply kick them out of the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kickstand.jpg (62.0 KB, 478 views)
Old 03-24-17, 05:38 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely, a kickstand is the first thing I put on any new bike that comes into our garage (5 of them there now).

I buy only high quality alloy ones that work great and don't wear out or rattle around.

My favorite is the Giant OEM one that mounts to the factory frame mounts on my Roam:

Cheers
TRJB
Old 03-24-17, 05:39 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
No kickstands for me. In the past I hung the bikes on this (didn't have a garage).

Now I have a garage so I have two of these — one for each bike.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-24-17, 05:46 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Depends on the bike. I have them on my old steel bikes. A Greenfield KS3 only costs about 8 bucks. I like em on the right bike.
Old 03-24-17, 05:50 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I have a few of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Need to buy another one for the Non-Urban-Bike, come to think of it.
Old 03-24-17, 06:05 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I have a few of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Need to buy another one for the Non-Urban-Bike, come to think of it.
I have a couple of these, They work well.
Old 03-24-17, 06:14 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
One other thing, if you have wall space, a "closet rod bracket" is an inexpensive way to hang a bike. I have a couple bikes that are not in use, hanging on those. I put a piece of an innertube over the hook to protect the paint.
Old 03-24-17, 06:37 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
It really depends on how you ride. I commute and run errands and I find my kickstands helpful for when I stop to make clothing adjustments, shopping, etc. That being said, I keep my old roadbike un-fender and kickstand-free. When I ride without a kickstand I lay the bike down, or lean it up against curbs, and when I lock it I use clothes pins in the levers to set the brakes I park my bikes in the shed and my wide's bike plus two of mine have kickstands, and my old roadbike leans up agains the wall. If none had kickstands I'd probably stand them inverted on the seat and bars.
Old 03-24-17, 07:00 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
For me, kickstands are a must for urban and touring bikes. But if you just want them for storage there are lots of alternatives.
Old 03-24-17, 08:19 PM
LiquorLad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it doesn't make your bike faster then don't put it on your bike.
Old 03-24-17, 08:31 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Most have them, one doesn't. I find them practical on my bikes, the one that doesn't won't fit anything but a rear mount, and that bike is only ridden on long road rides I'm not really stopping anyhow.
Old 03-24-17, 08:45 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
All my bikes have quality stands of various types that are more convenient, and reliable than bike racks or leaning it against a fixed object. While there are better options than a kickstand for storage, If I were to choose one with storage as a primary consideration, I would choose a 2 leg center stand as a bike standing vertically will be more stable, and take up the least amount of room.
Old 03-25-17, 08:21 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Keep in mind that a common clamp-type kickstand can not be used on aluminum or carbon fiber frames.
Old 03-25-17, 09:05 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
No bike of mine will ever have a kickstand on it. Ever. For storage options, there are far too many including simple J hooks that you can screw into studs in the ceiling of the garage, or vertical racks as pictured.
Old 03-25-17, 09:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Oooh another Kickstand thread..

Depends on the purpose of the bike..

The one I use most, so a 'Utility bike', is a trekking bike with, 2, a 2nd KS under the front lowrider rack..

C&V road bike does not..

You asked about storage, there are racks to do that.

I have that road bike hanging from hooks in the overhead..

Old 03-25-17, 09:34 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no no no
Old 03-25-17, 10:57 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
No. Not only no but........Well, no.
Old 03-25-17, 03:07 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My feelings about kickstands:

How often do you REALLY need one, and do you REALLY want to carry around the extra weight all the rest of the time? Can't you find a wall or tree to lean it up against?

They make sense for motorcycles (how often would you want to pick up a 300 lb motorbike off the ground?), but unless you have osteoarthritis, how much do you really need one?
Old 03-25-17, 06:48 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
My feelings about kickstands:

How often do you REALLY need one, and do you REALLY want to carry around the extra weight all the rest of the time?
I use mine multiple times a day and the weight is a piffling insignificance.

When I first got my latest bike, my existing kickstands wouldn't fit on it, so I tried making do without a kickstand and all I achieved was multiple instances where my bike would slip and slide against various metal poles or things I had tried to lean it against and I would scrape paint off my bike.

I also often encounter bike racks at shopping centres that are on sloping ground, so a kickstand is a godsend there.

Can't you find a wall or tree to lean it up against?
Sometimes, but often not.

but unless you have osteoarthritis, how much do you really need one?
The few weeks I spent without a kickstand made me realise just how valuable they are to me as a commuter.

If I had another bike that I used for long rides or club rides, then sure, I wouldn't want a kickstand on that, but when your bike is a do it all bike for you, then kickstands are must.
Old 03-25-17, 08:37 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
How often do you REALLY need one,
Every time I get off my bike.
and do you REALLY want to carry around the extra weight all the rest of the time?
Yes, because the weight is inconsequential, and if I didn't have it, I couldn't use it.
Can't you find a wall or tree to lean it up against?
I could, but I rather choose where I park, rather than search for a suitable spot that isn't inappropriate, or likely to fall or be knocked over.

They make sense for motorcycles (how often would you want to pick up a 300 lb motorbike off the ground?), but unless you have osteoarthritis, how much do you really need one?
When one uses a bicycle as a vehicle, it's preferable to have it standing upright on its own when loading and unloading it with whatever one is carrying.
Old 03-25-17, 08:50 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
If I had another bike that I used for long rides or club rides, then sure, I wouldn't want a kickstand on that, but when your bike is a do it all bike for you, then kickstands are must.
To some people a bike is primarily sports equipment that can sometimes be used for limited transportation. Others use bicycles primarily as transportation that can also be used for recreation when desired.

The former pursue intangible accomplishments, the latter embrace practical applications. It's a matter of priorities that often clash with each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.