Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Had a wreck... CF frame scuffs

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-01-19, 08:59 AM
500lbman

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL7 S-Works, BMC Roadmachine 01 Four, Specialized Diverge Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Alloy, SE Bikes Fast Ripper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 6 Posts

So, yes I’m a noob cyclist, and have had a couple of wrecks in the past 6 months haha! Wasn’t paying attention the first time, and was pushing too hard on a slick surface the second time. I’ve also dropped the chain off the front chainring a couple of times. All of these events have chipped the paint in various places on my frame.

My question is: when should I start to worry about my carbon frame? The bike still rides the same, no issues. I just worry about damage to the frame becoming an issue. When do I throw in the towel and replace the frame? Does carbon start to show signs of instability, or is it just a catastrophic failure that comes with no warning?
Old 12-01-19, 09:21 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Epoxy resin absorbs minute amounts of moisture, not enough to make a difference. Still, you can touch up the scuffed areas with some clear coat. Look for it in touch up size at an auto supply shop.
Likes For berner:
Old 12-01-19, 03:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,384 Times in 2,733 Posts
Originally Posted by 500lbman
Does carbon start to show signs of instability, or is it just a catastrophic failure that comes with no warning?
Catastrophic. Are you really 500lb on carbon?
Old 12-01-19, 04:11 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by 500lbman
So, yes I’m a noob cyclist, and have had a couple of wrecks in the past 6 months haha! Wasn’t paying attention the first time, and was pushing too hard on a slick surface the second time. I’ve also dropped the chain off the front chainring a couple of times. All of these events have chipped the paint in various places on my frame.

My question is: when should I start to worry about my carbon frame? The bike still rides the same, no issues. I just worry about damage to the frame becoming an issue. When do I throw in the towel and replace the frame? Does carbon start to show signs of instability, or is it just a catastrophic failure that comes with no warning?
these things happen no doubt. Don’t worry about paint scuffs, if there is truly a gouge in the carbon you may want to include a pic. Most times just put a layer of clear coat and be done
Old 12-01-19, 04:57 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Catastrophic. Are you really 500lb on carbon?
asking the tough questions here....
Old 12-01-19, 05:09 PM
kolovoz

Bikes: Crown Jewel, Superfly, Presidio

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Had a brand new Superfly with less than ten rides on it when the carbon seat stay completely sheered during a ride. Trek warrantied it without question.