Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1987 Raleigh USA 531c Frame and forks

Old 06-17-20, 04:29 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 629 Posts
As I understand it there just wasn't a lot of the pro-race level RBCA contract stuff made likely a few thousand of the lesser UK built road bikes, few hundred or less of the nicer Serrota US built road bikes and several hundred Robinson built BMX bikes. Basically the made just enough bikes for there Teams and some for retail to meet the retail qualification in the various racing associations.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 06-17-20, 04:53 PM
Brian Gunter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's what I was thinking. As a result I wasn't sure if any of these were ever offered for retail sale or not. Clearly the one I have was not as evidenced by its lack of clearcoat finish - even though we did get it at Kmart through some strange mix up. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-17-20, 05:22 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
What is the serial number?

I believe the Workshop bikes have more cachet than the Ilkston frames and might command a bit more from some buyers. But I don't know if the workshop was doing any of these at that time.
Old 06-18-20, 06:11 AM
Brian Gunter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
What is the serial number?

I believe the Workshop bikes have more cachet than the Ilkston frames and might command a bit more from some buyers. But I don't know if the workshop was doing any of these at that time.
The serial number was not struck very well and is incomplete. The only part I can make out are the numerals 710925, so it is missing the letters in front. Another member of the forums has a similar issue with this same frame in that his serial number is struck so that only the beginning of the serial number is legible. His begins with WD7xxxxx. I believe the full serial number should be WD710925 - which is the Worksop designation. My understanding, however, is that Worksop had been closed by this time and manufacture of the Worksop bikes had been moved to Ilkston but still maintained the WD designation in their Serial number.
Old 06-18-20, 07:11 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
You may be able to get the serial number by placing a clean piece of paper on the area and using the side of a pencil and lightly etch the area.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-18-20, 07:46 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Gunter
That's what I was thinking. As a result I wasn't sure if any of these were ever offered for retail sale or not. Clearly the one I have was not as evidenced by its lack of clearcoat finish - even though we did get it at Kmart through some strange mix up. Thanks for the info.
...in its current unbuilt state, clear coating it with some kind of two part urethane clear enamel, (like Spraymax 2K Glamour) would be a relatively simple operation. FWIW.
Likes For 3alarmer: