Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to install Garmin Edge 830?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-05-20, 07:28 AM
bicycle126312

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a White RC Interceptor 19 bicycle. I'd post a link, but I don't have enough votes to do so.

How do I install the Garmin Edge 830?

What kind of bracket do I need to mount the device itself on the stem/handlebars?

I also need the wireless module, to connect to the Di2 system. However, how would I even go about opening up the bicycle? All cabling is routed internally, in the frame. Nothing is visible, even around the handlebars.
Old 09-05-20, 09:18 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You do some looking, you find a Garmin mount you like, then you buy it. When you get it you mount it on the bars and attach your Garmin. Usually the unit will come with some kind of mount in the box, do you not have that?
Considering the nature of your questions I'd recommend that you have a bike shop install the wireless unit.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-05-20, 09:33 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycle126312
How do I install the Garmin Edge 830?
Garmin Edge 830 comes with a bunch of installation accessories and mounts right in the box. Are you having trouble with using them or what? What prompted the question?
Old 09-05-20, 09:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you bought a new one, then it should have come with an out front mount and standard mount. The standard mount fits most any size and profile handle bar, stem or other thing you might want to mount it to.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...07FCB6154.html

So what help specifically do you need?

P.S. You may not be able to use the link tools or image tools yet, but you can just write the URL in the plain text of your message. Possibly you might have to remove the https:// and maybe change "." to "dot" or use some other methods of obfuscation.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-05-20 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 05:47 AM
jt777

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They come in the box and they're pretty good unless you really want something custom.
Old 09-11-20, 12:37 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The advice above has you covered for mounts. The wireless unit you will have to purchase (EW-WU111). Your bike appears to have a bar end junction box, so you can pick up a short 150 mm Di2 wire. Remove the bar end junction box, unclip one wire from the junction and plug that into the wireless unit. At the other end of the wireless plug in the new cable and attach it to the junction box. Reinstall the junction box Last program your Garmin to use the third hidden button on the shifters. Five minute job.
Old 09-11-20, 02:28 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Rtfm

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-11-20, 02:56 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by bbbean
Rtfm
Old 09-11-20, 03:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I've been wondering if the OP was coming back to ask about the second question but I guess they figured it out without us. <so sad>

I also need the wireless module, to connect to the Di2 system. However, how would I even go about opening up the bicycle?
Old 09-12-20, 04:38 AM
bicycle126312

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Rtfm
You know, this type of reply is very unproductive and unhelpful. Everyone knows they can read the manual, in theory.

Beyond that, you should be aware that the whole purpose of having a support forum for bicycles is to provide help. Making a statement like that only serves to alienate and ridicule someone. I don't believe I've asked anything in particular that deserves to be ridiculed.

For someone that doesn't understand how the Di2 system works, like me, it isn't obvious how to do this. Moreover, I don't even own the Garmin Edge 830. I'm considering buying one. I'm curious what I'd need to get regarding how to make it interact with the Di2 system on the bike, should I buy one. Furthermore, it isn't obvious that the kit included would allow it to be mounted on the stem/handlebars. I've had this problem previously with other hardware, such as lights. They provide a bracket that is meant for a perfectly circular handlebar -- which mine isn't. How am I supposed to know, as a beginner, if this will fit or not? I've checked the manual for the Edge 830, on page 2 it provides mounting instructions, and the type of mounting mechanism appears to be a circular one with a screw. I don't know if this will fit or not on my particular bicycle.

I've also later learned that apparently, it is possible to connect the Edge 830 to Di2 over bluetooth. My bike comes with and without Bluetooth, I honestly don't know if mine has that or not. That dictates what the best way to install one is, doesn't it? Why would I need the wireless module, if the bike already has bluetooth built in?

When I called up the store that sold me the bicycle, they couldn't even tell me if it is the model that has bluetooth or not, because it was sold at a borderline between when they started to include bluetooth. I have to take the bike physically to the shop for them to be able to tell me. This bad support from the shop is one of the reasons why I'd reach out to a forum.

You give off a vibe as being elitist when you say "rtfm", as if only those that have time and deeper than superficial interest in bicycles should be allowed to have bicycles as a hobby at all. I like bicycles, I have very little time and unfortunately a poor understanding of how even my own bicycle works. Yes, I admit that. I've never claimed anything else. Why would you feel a need to ridicule me?
Old 09-12-20, 06:11 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts

I'm curious what I'd need to get regarding how to make it interact with the Di2 system on the bike, should I buy one.
This statement is ambiguous. Does this mean that your bike does not currently have DI2? If it doesn't, you cannot possibly have Bluetooth. The fact that your shop wants you to bring the bike in is not that they are ignorant, it is probably that they are maybe getting conflicting information from you and need to verify for themselves what you are dealing with. This does not constitute bad service, rather, it is indicative of a shop that wants to give you good advice. As for the included mounts, Garmin includes stem mounts that will fit your computer on the stem itself. These will fit almost any bike. My 820 had both types so I can use the same computer on different bikes

Last edited by alcjphil; 09-12-20 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 09:29 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
You are only one post away from being able to include pictures. Once to show us what you have, advice about mounting the computer can be given
Old 09-12-20, 10:07 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
At OP

Please understand that your original post implied you already owned an 830 but were unclear as to how to mount the supplied bracket. That’s such a simple process that it begs replies like “RTFM”, or said nicely is “RTM”. Had you stated in the beginning what your follow on post stated, that you were considering an 830 but were unclear as to what mount is provided, that likely would have gotten you some more helpful replies, even though a bit of research on the web, such as the Garmin site, would have informed you what mounts were provided. Asking as per your follow on “circular handlebar”, would also have yielded that the out front mount might not mount on an oval aero type bar, but that the standard mount would as it uses rubber bands to install. All this info is available via about 5 minutes worth of internet research and you’d find that folks will be more helpful when they are aware you’ve done some initial research and just need clarification. That wasn’t present in the OP, thus some snarky replies.
Old 09-23-20, 02:02 PM
bicycle126312

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the "IEWWU111A" ("Shimano Di2 Bluetooth/ANT+") compatible with the Garmin Edge 830?

I have checked the manual, the PDF manual for the Edge 830.

The manual fails to provide a list of Bluetooth/ANT+ compatible devices.
Old 09-23-20, 03:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Is the "IEWWU111A" ("Shimano Di2 Bluetooth/ANT+") compatible with the Garmin Edge 830?

I have checked the manual, the PDF manual for the Edge 830.

The manual fails to provide a list of Bluetooth/ANT+ compatible devices.
Yes.
Old 09-23-20, 03:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well from the product page for the Edge 530 on Garmin's site you click the link that says "specs" and it takes you to the Edge 530's specification page. Then you go down the list and two up from the bottom you see SHIMANO DI2 SYNCHRO SHIFT INTEGRATION . Taking that link you can read some more specific info which has fold up you can expand by clicking Garmin Di2 compatibility list. You'll have to go to that page and click that yourself, it's not a link.

So I think it's a yes that the Edge 530 will handle D-fly or the IEWWU111A. Now whether it will do what you think it does and gives you the info you think it should is a different matter altogether.
Old 09-24-20, 02:39 PM
bicycle126312

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well from the product page for the Edge 530 on Garmin's site you click the link that says "specs" and it takes you to the Edge 530's specification page. Then you go down the list and two up from the bottom you see SHIMANO DI2 SYNCHRO SHIFT INTEGRATION . Taking that link you can read some more specific info which has fold up you can expand by clicking Garmin Di2 compatibility list. You'll have to go to that page and click that yourself, it's not a link.

So I think it's a yes that the Edge 530 will handle D-fly or the IEWWU111A. Now whether it will do what you think it does and gives you the info you think it should is a different matter altogether.
Thanks.

So what info will it be able to give me, with such a setup?

I would like to know the battery status, what gears I'm in, and be able to interact with the Edge 530 using the buttons integrated into the shifters.
Old 09-24-20, 02:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Thanks.

So what info will it be able to give me, with such a setup?

I would like to know the battery status, what gears I'm in, and be able to interact with the Edge 530 using the buttons integrated into the shifters.
Did you not read the page that had the compatible device list? It tells you specifically about two of the three things you are wanting. I suspect it will do all three if you do already have the paging buttons on your STI's. Or you can make the buttons shift for you if you re-configure in E-tube project.
Old 09-24-20, 03:03 PM
cxwrench

Kids these days...rarely willing to do any work on their own.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-26-20, 01:55 PM
bicycle126312

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Did you not read the page that had the compatible device list? It tells you specifically about two of the three things you are wanting. I suspect it will do all three if you do already have the paging buttons on your STI's. Or you can make the buttons shift for you if you re-configure in E-tube project.
Yes. I read it.

And, much like yourself, I'm also unsure if it can give me all the three things I'm wanting.

Curious, isn't it? How you, clearly someone much more experienced and skilled in the technicalities of bicycles, tells me that I should be able to conclude better than yourself about these specifics, from reading the very same page?

And no. I'm not being ironic, you are more skilled in this than I am. I have no knowledge of this. None. How am I supposed to figure this out, before I buy it, if you can't?

Let's face it, this isn't as trivial as you guys try to make it out to be, even if it should be. It isn't sufficient to just "read the manual", you're still not even sure yourself after helping me look it up.

Moreover, this "Compatibility list", I'm sorry to say, is merely a brief overview that raises more questions than it answers. It doesn't even manage to state the firmware version required in order to get this setup working. How hard is that, to write a firmware version number? I'm sorry, but I can't take this sort of documentation seriously.
Old 09-26-20, 01:56 PM
bicycle126312

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Kids these days...rarely willing to do any work on their own.
What is it exactly that you think I should do, that I'm not doing?

I did read the manual.
Old 09-26-20, 03:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I can't specifically tell you what you'll get and see. I don't have D-fly with my Di2. But as for what you ask all I can say is what I provided you links to. Since no one else has answered you here, then I suspect your post hasn't attracted a member that knows the detailed answer you seem to want. Part of the issue is that your thread is titled........... How to install Garmin Edge 830?

So the people that do come to the forum and just scan thread titles that know the answers you want might be just not interested in going into a thread about installing a Garmin Edge.

Maybe they'd know there was a question for them with something like What will my Garmin 820 show me about my Di2 if I have Shimano D-Fly?

But I still think all your main wants are handled.....

Certain Garmin Fitness devices can be connected to a Shimano Di2 system in order to provide information wirelessly about the system. In some cases, Garmin devices can be controlled using the hood buttons embedded into some Dura-Ace Control Levers.

What are the benefits of pairing a Garmin device with a Di2 system?

• View the battery life of the Di2 system using the Di2 Battery Data field
  • View front and rear gear data
  • Export ride data to 3rd party sites that analyze gear shift data
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...LT7g6qMyExVRc9
The above seems to handle all three of your wants. I know the page says Dura-Ace, but it wasn't too long ago that Dura-Ace was the only one with the little buttons under the hoods. I'm sure they'll handle the Ultegra line that just got the buttons in the ST-R8070 recently.

Whether it will do more I don't know. Maybe you can find out some stuff on Garmin's own forums about how the Edge 820 handles Di2...... https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/

Or this is a great site for Di2 info .............. https://bettershifting.com/
You might read and glean some ideas about what D-fly brings to the Edge units.

Don't be so touchy though. You'll get yourself worked up and have a stroke. We wouldn't pick on you if we didn't like you!

Last edited by Iride01; 09-26-20 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-26-20, 06:28 PM
Steve B.

I did read the manual.
I assume the 530 will do the same as a 1030. I have mine setup to display the gear position on the main data screen. This tells me “50/16” or whatever. It’s trivial but actually really useful when approaching a hill and such, to not have to look down and back at the cassette. I have a second screen for other data that displays the Di2 battery level, but I sometimes wonder how accurate. It displays in 10% increments and is at least, better then the A junction LED display. My shifter buttons simply let me scroll thru the screens, but in truth, it’s faster to swipe the screen (on a touchscreen), YMMV.
Old 09-26-20, 07:03 PM
cxwrench

I did read the manual.
Maybe try the Garmin online chat? Ask your questions directly to Garmin? They will no doubt know more about it than most people here, and there's no waiting.
Old 09-26-20, 07:22 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Yes. I read it.

And, much like yourself, I'm also unsure if it can give me all the three things I'm wanting.

Curious, isn't it? How you, clearly someone much more experienced and skilled in the technicalities of bicycles, tells me that I should be able to conclude better than yourself about these specifics, from reading the very same page?

And no. I'm not being ironic, you are more skilled in this than I am. I have no knowledge of this. None. How am I supposed to figure this out, before I buy it, if you can't?

Let's face it, this isn't as trivial as you guys try to make it out to be, even if it should be. It isn't sufficient to just "read the manual", you're still not even sure yourself after helping me look it up.

Moreover, this "Compatibility list", I'm sorry to say, is merely a brief overview that raises more questions than it answers. It doesn't even manage to state the firmware version required in order to get this setup working. How hard is that, to write a firmware version number? I'm sorry, but I can't take this sort of documentation seriously.
Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance 6th ed. has a very detailed and complete section on setting up Di2 Synchro Shift with a Garmin to show your gear and battery level and what shifting mode you're in.