Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

RaceFace Turbine cranks problem (play)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 11:55 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts

Tried google, manufacturer website manuals etc. Didn't help.

An acquaintance got a 2nd hand bicycle that has some noticeable play in the cranks.
Cranks are RaceFace Turbine. Bottom bracket is a press fit one. There is no noticeable problem with the BB bearings, but seems to be too much free space where the axle goes through the right hand side BB bearing.
The axle is 24 mm wide at the part that's near the bearings (both left and right), left hand side bearing is 24 mm wide on the inside, while the right hand side BB bearing is about 25 mm wide on the inside.

Cranks don't have any spacer that seems to fit in the gap to prevent it from having play. So even when properly tightened, they still have play.

Recorded a video showing the problem - if it helps anyone provide any info, or help.

Old 10-28-20, 04:14 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I don't know what is supposed to be there on the Raceface crankset, but a SRAM GXP bottom bracket uses a plastic spacer on the drive side to take up the extra space in the bearing inner diameter. If you have a GXP bottom bracket, try the plastic spacer that is inside the drive side bearing. On the GXP it acts as a spacer for the bearing/spindle interface and as a dust cover for the bearing.
Old 10-28-20, 06:48 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by dsaul
I don't know what is supposed to be there on the Raceface crankset, but a SRAM GXP bottom bracket uses a plastic spacer on the drive side to take up the extra space in the bearing inner diameter. If you have a GXP bottom bracket, try the plastic spacer that is inside the drive side bearing. On the GXP it acts as a spacer for the bearing/spindle interface and as a dust cover for the bearing.
You mean reverse the order of the two... spacers/washers shown on the drive side?
Old 10-28-20, 07:23 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
You mean reverse the order of the two... spacers/washers shown on the drive side?
No. I mean take the plastic bushing/dust cover from a GXP bottom bracket and put it in the drive side bearing of the Raceface bottom bracket. GXP bottom brackets have the same type of drive side bearing that is larger than the spindle and that plastic bushing/dust cover takes up the extra space. I have a bunch of old GXP bottom brackets that I keep around just for taking parts like that.

I can't see the large spacer clearly in your video, but it looks like it may have a stepped down area on one side that might fit into the bearing.
Old 10-28-20, 07:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Did you run through their BB selection tables and find out if that is the correct or compatible BB for that bike and crank?

https://res.cloudinary.com/fox-facto...nes_omaj5n.pdf
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-30-20, 11:17 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

I have eliminated the play. Placing one thin (0.5 mm) spacer from my spare parts bin on the left hand side of the axle (slid it on top of the existing spacer). Not the "original" (RaceFace) part.
Not 100% sure, but looks good (and no play).

The dimensions:

Axle is 116 mm long (from left crank inner face to the end of the axle). Wide 23.5 mm in the mid section, with ends (parts that are aligned with the BB bearings) being 24 mm wide. Like Shimano 24 mm Hollowtech II axles.
Length from the left crank inner face to the end of the right hand side 24 mm wide axle part is 95 mm.

Frame BB shell is 92 mm wide.

Bearings mark says:
X-Type f 41 mm Press Fit for:
BB107 | BB92 | BB89.5 | BB86.5

And the cover of the left hand side bearing says:
X-Type, Outer Race, D30300

Spacers:
Left side of the axle has one rubber seal, then one 1.2 mm wide spacer.

On the right side, there's a cover that goes directly over the bearing. Then a steel part that is 4.5 mm thick at the base, then has a section that gets narrowed down (to the outer diameter of about 24mm). On top of it, a spacer that is 2.3 mm thick is placed - half black, half red. And it is slid so that narrower part with the spacer faces the frame (if I got the instructions correctly).

Is my adding of a 0.5 mm spacer at the left hand side (slightly larger diameter than perfect, but is held in place, doesn't slide over the other left hand side spacer) a good idea? Or do you think I should look for a different solution?

The cranks spin smoothly (tested with the chain off), and there is no longer any noticeable play.