Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Travel by Amtrak

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Travel by Amtrak

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 11:18 PM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Travel by Amtrak

I'm thinking of doing a self-supported tour down the Oregon and California coasts this summer, then heading home on Amtrak from Oakland (or maybe L.A., if I'm ambitious). Has anyone done this? Any suggestions about getting the bike on the train? I've taken my bike on Amtrak, but it was unloaded and it was a short train ride.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-11, 11:48 PM
Carley P.

Bikes: 2013 Niner EMD (29er), 2012 Motobecane New Fantom Cross (Cyclocross), Vintage Schwinn Voyegeur set up in city mode w/ wald basket (Commuting), and a nashbar road frame w/ Shimano 600 components (wife's bike).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing, though I've never found an answer. I wasn't planning on being fully loaded though. That is, my loaded bike shouldn't take up any more room than it would unloaded.

When you took your bike on that "short trip," did you leave your bike in one piece, take it's wheels off to make it compact, or go all of the way and put it in a luggage case? I went to Chicago via train last year, and I was wanting to take my bike with me this year.
Old 01-02-11, 12:11 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Amtrak's policy on carrying bikes varies by specific train. For example, on the commuter Amtrak train from the Bay Area to Sacramento each car has a few bike racks at the end. You just wheel the bike on, guide it into the rack and hook the wheel to secure it - no charge, no extra reservation, and available at every stop. Very convenient and our bike club has used this service a number of times to do one-way trips with the return being by rail. (Depending on the width, panniers might need to be removed to fit the bike in the rack.)

OTOH, when we wanted to use Amtrak to return from a bike rally south of here in Paso Robles we encountered very different rules on that Amtrak train. Bikes had to be boxed and loaded into the baggage car. Boxes were usually available at the station for $10 and quite large so just turning the handlebars and removing pedals was sufficient. There was an extra $5 for carrying the bike and bikes could only be loaded/unloaded at the few stations that provided official baggage service. Since Paso Robles wasn't such a station, we had to bike about 40 miles to San Luis Obispo, board the train there, and ride it back through Paso Robles before continuing back to the bay area.

So you need to determine which trains you'll be taking and the rules and procedure on each of those trains.
Old 01-02-11, 12:13 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
You'll need to box the bike to get it back home on the Coast Starlight.
Old 01-02-11, 12:34 AM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carley P.
I've been wondering the same thing, though I've never found an answer. I wasn't planning on being fully loaded though. That is, my loaded bike shouldn't take up any more room than it would unloaded.

When you took your bike on that "short trip," did you leave your bike in one piece, take it's wheels off to make it compact, or go all of the way and put it in a luggage case? I went to Chicago via train last year, and I was wanting to take my bike with me this year.
On the short trip, I just hung my bike on one of the hooks they provide in the luggage car. No need to disassemble the bike or anything.
Old 01-02-11, 12:37 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Bike racks on the Cascades are awesome!
Old 01-02-11, 12:37 AM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
You'll need to box the bike to get it back home on the Coast Starlight.
That's what I'm starting to think.

I've never boxed my bike. Is it something I can do, or should I have a bike shop do that?

Another question: Should I have my bike shipped home by FedEx (or UPS or?) or box it and take it on the train? Which would be easier, safer, etc?
Old 01-02-11, 12:53 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by msviolin57

I've never boxed my bike. Is it something I can do, or should I have a bike shop do that?

Another question: Should I have my bike shipped home by FedEx (or UPS or?) or box it and take it on the train? Which would be easier, safer, etc?
As I wrote above, the boxes sold by Amtrak are quite large so you just need to turn the handlebars sideways and probably take off the pedals. If you want to ship a box by Fedex or other carrier you'd normally use a much smaller box to stay within their size rules and that requires more disassembly and care in packing to avoid damage. If you take it with you on Amtrak make sure that you'll be getting on and off at stations that support baggage car service.
Old 01-02-11, 08:42 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I've only traveled Amtrak with a folder;
https://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com...in-travel.html.
They have a very specific policy and, for a non-folder, it depends entirely on the equipment on the train. Each train has different equipment for baggage and you have to be certain before you make your reservation, even then, it's best to print out a copy of their policy since most of the personnel don't have a good handle on the bike thing.

Marc
Old 01-02-11, 09:26 AM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
As I wrote above, the boxes sold by Amtrak are quite large so you just need to turn the handlebars sideways and probably take off the pedals. If you want to ship a box by Fedex or other carrier you'd normally use a much smaller box to stay within their size rules and that requires more disassembly and care in packing to avoid damage. If you take it with you on Amtrak make sure that you'll be getting on and off at stations that support baggage car service.
Thanks. It sounds like the Amtrak box is the way to go.

So, does anyone know if Amtrak supplies the tools to take off the pedals and turn the handlebars? Or would I need to bring them along? (I think I'm spoiled living where I do. PDX now has a bike assembly area, tools included.)
Old 01-02-11, 09:49 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will need the tools to take off the pedals and turn the handlebars. You should already be carrying the allen key for your handlebars as normal kit. Sometimes they will have a used bike box that they will give you for free, that is the best. Otherwise it is $15 plus the charge for the bike $10. I took amtrak from oakland to eugene. It's really easy, way easier than preparing your bike for the plane or shipping. Watch them when they take you bike off to make sure they don't do anything stupid. In eugene the guy wasn't paying attention and one side of the bike box hit another cart. Threw my wife's wheel out of true and bent her derailer hanger.
Old 01-02-11, 10:29 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I did the Amtrak thing last summer. I started in San Luis Obispo, took the Coast Starlight to Portland, then headed east on the Lewis and Clark route. I finished in Missoula, rented a car back to Portland, and took Amtrak back to SLO.

I used Amtrak bike boxes both ways, and I think they're great, and pretty cheap ($10?) I have a big bike - a 62cm LHT (the biggest frame they make) with a stem that raises my bars quite high. I took the pedals off, took the bars off and stowed them sideways, and rolled the bike in. The first time my stem stuck up a little too high. It bent the top of the box and tore it a little. I patched it with packing tape and everything was fine. Coming back I took the top piece of the stem off (the semi-circlular piece that goes around the bars) and got enough clearance so that the box didn't tear.

I brought my own packing tape both times, but both times the freight handlers offered me a packing tape "gun" if I wanted it. They were very helpful.

I'd suggest getting to the station early so you have plenty of time to get your bike boxed. Going north I felt a little rushed, and was a bit stressed when the box seemed to be a tiny bit too small. Going south I had lots of time - enough to consider what to do to make it fit.

Of course, with a normal or small frame it probably won't be an issue to fit the bike in the box. Remove the pedals, take off the handlebars and put them sideways, and roll it in.

Here's my rig and the box on the sidewalk outside the Portland Amtrak baggage department.

I've got the stuff off and am about to "dismantle" the bike. (Somebody brings too much stuff!)

Here't the box with my bike in it. It fits! Incidentally, you have to be able to carry all of your luggage with you when you get on. Otherwise you have to check it. I bungied everything together into three bundles, plus a backpack on my back (that I had bought at Fred Meyer that morning.) I held one bundle in each hand with the third under my arm. It wasn't comfortable, but I only had to carry it a short way.

One last thing: I've read that not all Amtrak stations have baggage departments with boxes, and those that do might not have boxes all the time. It's suggested that you first make sure that the station where you'll be boarding can help you, and call ahead and reserve a box.

Last edited by BigBlueToe; 01-04-11 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-02-11, 10:39 AM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here on the West Coast... Amtrak rocks! Way better than an airplane.
Old 01-02-11, 10:47 AM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great information, BigBlueToe. For some reason, though, I can't see your pictures.

I agree, tacomee. Amtrak's starting to look really good.
Old 01-02-11, 12:26 PM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I did the Pacific Coast route in 2008, also starting in Portland, but ending near Sacramento. Took Amtrak from Sacramento to Portland. Had to box the bike but there was nothing to it. Amtrak even gave me a box for free because someone had already used it and left it with them. It was a great way to go. As already mentioned, just get there early so you won't be rushed packing it up.
Old 01-03-11, 12:13 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I have used Amtrak on several trips, the most recent one this summer was from Oakland to Albany, OR. Folks are correct: Boxes on the Coast Starlight, they are big boxes ($15)requiring minimal wrenching, there is also a small charge for the bikes. There is a great Mexican Restaurant right by the train station in Oakland. And, only one bike fits in the elevator by the station.

Waiting for the Amtrak bus in Seattle. The large yellow bag in the forground is my "train bag" We find it easier to use a very light weight duffle to unload our panniers into. The empty panniers go in the bike boxes. That only leavs the full rackpack, the train bag and the handlebar bag to manage on the train and in the stations. It is still a bit of a load, but much easier to handle than four panniers, rack pack and handlebar bag.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-03-11 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-03-11, 03:57 AM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great information, Doug64. Thanks!
Old 01-03-11, 08:13 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park sells a one sided pedal wrench (smaller and lighter than their normal two-ended wrench) for about $6 and it weighs 1.5oz.
Old 01-03-11, 08:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Never had a bike damaged in nearly 10 Amtrak rides, including two X-country trips. The only other thing you may have to do is lower the seat post if you have a large frame. I have fit a 63cm frame into Amtrak boxes with no problem.
Old 01-03-11, 08:51 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great information, BigBlueToe. For some reason, though, I can't see your pictures.

I agree, tacomee. Amtrak's starting to look really good.
Picture Help???

Here's what I've done to include pictures. Can someone tell me why it isn't working?

I've gone to my journal at CrazyGuy.
I've right-clicked on the photo I want to use.
I've copied the URL from "Properties".
I've clicked on the icon here for "Insert Image".
I've pasted in the picture's URL.
It looks good when I select "Go Advanced".
People tell me they can't see the picture. In one instance I went back a few days later to my post and I couldn't see my pictures.

Any ideas?
Old 01-03-11, 09:32 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
paste the URL in between this tag:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-03-11, 09:42 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of pedals are removable with a 6 mm Allen wrench. Most Shimano pedals and all Crank Brother's pedals I've see do - so you need not carry a specific pedal wrench.

I repeat for emphasis, "Make sure the stations you choose have baggage service"
**and**
"Each train has different equipment for baggage and you have to be certain before you make your reservation, even then, it's best to print out a copy of their policy since most of the personnel don't have a good handle on the bike thing."
Old 01-04-11, 09:35 AM
BigBlueToe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The tags are there. Hmmm. Could CrazyGuy have changed the URLs? I'll do more investigating tonight after work.
Old 01-04-11, 11:10 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I'm thinking of doing a self-supported tour down the Oregon and California coasts this summer, then heading home on Amtrak from Oakland (or maybe L.A., if I'm ambitious). Has anyone done this? Any suggestions about getting the bike on the train? I've taken my bike on Amtrak, but it was unloaded and it was a short train ride.

Thanks!
I'm doing a similar ride; train from DC to Montana with the bike. I found an Amtrak forum where train aficionados talk. I joined, asked a slew of questions and had numerous answers w/in an hour. Here's the link
https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/
Old 01-05-11, 12:17 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Well, well, well, msviolin57, how the hell are you dear? I've done the tour from Portland to San Francisco, you'll love it. As far as the train goes, they have boxes at the station in Oakland or Emeryville, then you get on and enjoy the ride home. Wave as you go into Eugene, better yet, let me know when you are coming and I'll be at the station to say hi, the train has a 10 minute stop here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.