Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What are the dangers or challenges of bicycle touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What are the dangers or challenges of bicycle touring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 06:57 PM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm also planning my first tour (partly solo, probably), and I never get tired of reading the posts here for information and advice. I'm going to be the most well-prepared newbie tourer out there . . . .

Wait! I have to worry about spiders??
Old 05-12-11, 07:04 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msviolin57
Yep. I'm pretty sure it was a spider bite, or some sort of tiny insect, unnoticed at the time, that caused a skin abscess on my abdomen while touring in Colorado. Required a visit to the ER.

Might add a tube of antibiotic ointment to your first aid kit.
Old 05-12-11, 07:07 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pathlesspedaled
Thought a lot about dangers and fears while on the road and put it into words in this essay:

https://pathlesspedaled.com/2009/12/the-great-fear/

what we've learned is that it is never going to be as bad as you think. had no problems with dogs. had no problems with thugs or thieves. just be smart. stay calm. feed yourself and keep a level head.

Russ
Great post Russ!
Old 05-12-11, 07:09 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nope. Don't worry about them. Just accept them for what they are.
Old 05-12-11, 09:11 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'm no more worried about the potential of spiders on tour than I am about the reality of spiders at home. I live in Australia, our house is full of spiders. Fortunately, I've only seen a few redbacks and whitetails.

Actually, if you want a really worrying bug ... you want to avoid the Rove Beetle. I'm pretty sure I swallowed one on an evening ride several weeks back. NOT the sort of bug you want to swallow, or touch in any way. I'm still recovering, although things are better now than they were a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Machka; 05-12-11 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 09:30 PM
LarryMelman

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Nancy, you've done it again.

You've lifted several of the comments from this thread to compose a post for your blog.

Did you get permission from everyone? Or did you just take without asking, like you did with my comments about risks? I told you this was unethical. Or maybe just lame.
Old 05-12-11, 10:07 PM
Chuckie J.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryMelman

You've lifted several of the comments from this thread to compose a post for your blog.

Did you get permission from everyone? Or did you just take without asking, like you did with my comments about risks? I told you this was unethical. Or maybe just lame.
Are you joking? You haven't read any Bahktin, have you? We all "lift" ideas. Its called culture. I know I've lifted a LOT of ideas from Sheldon Brown (bless his heart....) Nancy contributes a great deal to this forum; shouldn't she be able to take something as well?
Old 05-12-11, 10:16 PM
LarryMelman

Not without asking, no.

Or at least, not without giving notice that she is doing so. It's just awfully unethical and/or lazy. Especially since her web site is a for-profit enterprise.

If you don't care, fine. But I do, and I suspect others may be surprised to know that this has been going on.

That is all.
Old 05-12-11, 11:48 PM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems like this bothers only you. I suppose you should copyright all your comments before you post them. The rest of us will just keep reading and posting as usual, and if our words are able to inspire someone else, that's even better.

Take care.
Old 05-12-11, 11:54 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Especially since her web site is a for-profit enterprise.
HA! That is the best joke I've heard yet! (I really wish we were making a profit from it - care to give me some tips on how to do that?)
Old 05-13-11, 04:50 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by albertmoreno
Nothing to it but to do it.
I really like this. Is it original?

I read somewhere quite a long time ago, that the average person swallows more than 10 spiders in their lifetime.
There was no qualification on size, but I suspect that cyclists generally and cyclotourists probably up the ante a bit on that one.

--------------

There is risk getting out of bed in the morning. There is risk even in lying in bed (snoring and swallowing spiders!!!).

But it's how we manage risk that is important.

As already discussed, getting out there and experiencing a variety of situations can give us the skills to reduce or minimise risk -- or ignore it.

More so, that experience can help find solutions to get out of a predicament when our risk management goes awry.
Old 05-13-11, 07:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
The cycling part doesn't worry me as much. I've put around 1500 miles on my bike since I bought it last fall. I'm more comfortable riding now than driving. What gets me more is the time off the bike...camping, animals, insects and spiders, strangers, etc.
None of that stuff is all that much of a threat or danger. I see camping, animals, and strangers as some of the pluses of being on tour and insects and spiders are just an annoyance and very minor danger. If there is an increased risk I think it comes from traffic due to the increased number of hours on the road.
Old 05-13-11, 07:24 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Not without asking, no.

Or at least, not without giving notice that she is doing so. It's just awfully unethical and/or lazy. Especially since her web site is a for-profit enterprise.

If you don't care, fine. But I do, and I suspect others may be surprised to know that this has been going on.

That is all.
Larry is actually correct in this. While nancy can use excerpts for critique, academic, or technical use, she must fully attribute the source, in this case, a blanket cite of https://www.bikeforums.net and the thread used for the data or information.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-13-11, 09:12 AM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Larry is actually correct in this. While nancy can use excerpts for critique, academic, or technical use, she must fully attribute the source, in this case, a blanket cite of https://www.bikeforums.net and the thread used for the data or information.
So in this case, I used a few snippets from this thread, and a few ideas from other blogs, and a few from personal experience, and a few that I'm sure I've read over the years but would have absolutely no idea whatsoever where I read them. Is one required to go look up each and every place they got an idea from?
Old 05-13-11, 09:44 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nancy sv
So in this case, I used a few snippets from this thread, and a few ideas from other blogs, and a few from personal experience, and a few that I'm sure I've read over the years but would have absolutely no idea whatsoever where I read them. Is one required to go look up each and every place they got an idea from?
I would say operate from this point forward with a habit of citing any source. Realistically, as you have time and can remember where you found them, go back and insert where possible, but you probably won't be able to get them all. Intellectual Property law is both clear and muddy, if you follow me. It's very clear that it can cost you money, but the limits are subjective, and relative tp the potential damage to the marketability of the content, and other factors.

Now, if you use data from US Government public access servers, that is always in public domain with the request that you cite them. My recent Mother's day Greeting in the announcements used an image from the Department of Defense servers, for example, and I cited "Image courtesy of the Department of Defense".

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-13-11, 11:23 AM
LarryMelman

what do you perceive as dangers to be aware of or challenges that first time bike tourists may not expect?
Some of your worries are the basic annoyances of camping. Bugs and mud and whatnot. Fun for a day or two, tolerable for one or two more. Beyond that, most of us like to get back to having a roof over our heads.

Then you have the basic annoyances of cycling. Many are easy to deal with. But accidents will happen. Bikes will break down. The longer the tour, the more likely it is. That's just common sense.

Originally Posted by Cyclebum
All of the above. Same kind of stuff that could happen when you cross the street or play with the dog. You just won't be at home.
Ah, but that's the concern that gets written off here. "You won't be at home". At home, you know where the doctor is. Where to find water and food. Where the bike shop is. The ATM. Etc. But on vacation and/or tour, everything is an unknown. So things that are minor inconveniences close to home, often become big hassles. And bigger problems can become real emergencies.

My "spirit of adventure" usually exhausts itself after a few days. Fairly quickly, touring stops being "fun". That's why I can't seem to appreciate the mindset of the fans of long-term touring. Life on the road doesn't appear to wear them down. They place no value on the conveniences of "home". Or they actively protest against it, pooh-pooh-ing it as "living inside the box".
Old 05-13-11, 01:19 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
repetitive strain injuries
Old 05-13-11, 02:33 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Don't forget seagulls. They can root around in your panniers and open packets of cookies.
Scorpions can crawl into your shoes
Bears like to eat everything.
Moose dont like you camping in their stomping grounds.
Jagulars can drop on you from high branches.

Part of the fun of cycle camping is gaining confidence in your own abilities. If you start out with small trips you will find out that most of the "dangers" are merely hazards that the wary traveller can cope with.

On my last big trip, my biggest concern beforehand was ticks but in practice they were a minor irritant.
Finding a campsite can be challenging at times so I started looking well before dusk. You learn to stop earlier than you want to if there is a good site, or to make do with a less than good site if you must but would never use a less than good site that had serious potential danger, eg flooding, rockfall, treefall.
Seagulls? That's where my cookies went? And to think I blamed my son.

And what in the heck is a jagular? Do they go for the jugular?
Old 05-13-11, 03:04 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After my first S24O last night, a lot of this advice seems much more relevant now. I made another post for that, but this is a ton of excellent information. I'm sure the other noobs appreciate it, too. I'm gonna have to go back to Chantry Flats...when it's not just about dusk, to do it again. The only way to get over my fear is to do it,again and again, right?

"I find the most fearless guys that can camp anywhere and are not bothered by things that go bump in the night are the guys that do it often. If there were, in fact, really creepy things out there staring at you while you set up camp, the guys that are veterans would be the ones saying not to. Quite the opposite as we all know.

There is a fine line between being excited and nervous. "
Old 05-13-11, 03:05 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
Seagulls? That's where my cookies went? And to think I blamed my son.

And what in the heck is a jagular? Do they go for the jugular?
haha, jagular!
Old 05-13-11, 03:09 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, but that's the concern that gets written off here. "You won't be at home". At home, you know where the doctor is. Where to find water and food. Where the bike shop is. The ATM. Etc. But on vacation and/or tour, everything is an unknown. So things that are minor inconveniences close to home, often become big hassles. And bigger problems can become real emergencies.

yes!...I can see how minor problems, inconveniences, hassles can become a real headache where things are unknown, I think. Thanks for the opposing point of view, even if long term touring isn't your thing. Are you more of a credit card tourer?
Old 05-13-11, 03:11 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I really like this. Is it original?

haha, no...I want to say I heard it some stupid 90s sitcom like the Fresh Prince. It makes sense, though, right?
Old 05-13-11, 03:14 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like this bothers only you. I suppose you should copyright all your comments before you post them. The rest of us will just keep reading and posting as usual, and if our words are able to inspire someone else, that's even better.

Take care.
I'm also totally fine with this. It takes the work out of hours of trolling the forums, although I don't think it takes much to credit bikeforums. Being on the younger side, I've always wondered how did people research niche information like this without forums and blogs. Books?! Anyways. Nancy's blogging ethics don't cause me to lose sleep at night. Spiders do!

Last edited by SurlyLaika; 05-13-11 at 03:22 PM. Reason: read moderator's comment
Old 05-13-11, 03:34 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pathlesspedaled
Thought a lot about dangers and fears while on the road and put it into words in this essay:

https://pathlesspedaled.com/2009/12/the-great-fear/

what we've learned is that it is never going to be as bad as you think. had no problems with dogs. had no problems with thugs or thieves. just be smart. stay calm. feed yourself and keep a level head.

Russ
thanks, Russ. I enjoy your blog.
Old 05-14-11, 10:42 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Loose Bowel Movement.

Watch what you put in your pie hole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.