Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Another new guy (a little long, sorry)

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 09-03-12, 07:22 PM
The_Price_I_Pay

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2 with Campagnolo Super Record EPS and Zipp 404 Firecrest clinchers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me start by saying that I'm full time Military and any until recently I was ashamed of the way I looked in my uniform. I had reached a rank that required me to spend the greatest portion of my time behind a desk I simply let myself go. Now by other peoples standard I would not have been considered obese but I was not happy with myself. I did the absolute minimum I needed to to get by the physical fitness requirements and that was it. I simply had no motivation to do anything about getting into shape.

I have had 2 road bikes in the past that have gone terribly underused mainly because I was fat and lazy (honesty often hurts). I purchased the bikes because I love riding (have ever since I was a kid) and thought that they would be a great way to get into shape. The problem is that I think you have to be motivated to actually want to get into, and stay in shape, for that to actually work. Flash forward a few years and I find myself in Afghanistan. I started getting incredible headaches and decided to go to the Doctor about them. Come to find out that my blood pressure was high (a trait that runs in my family) at 160/105 and the Doctor gave me a choice, he told me that I could go on medication, or I could exercise and change my diet and check back in a month and see how things went (Oh by the way I turned 40 about a week later)... I decided that I didn't have anything to loose by trying to go to the gym, so off I went. At first I simply got on the treadmill and ran, well I sort of ran, you see I could only jog for about 3-5 minutes before I was so winded that I had to walk (I was a 6000+ feet of elevation mind you), but I stuck with it and eventually not only began to really enjoy running I looked forward to it and got really bummed when I couldn't go. Around the same time I made a conscious effort to start eating better and I cut caffein completely out of my diet. After a month my BP was a little better so I decided to keep at it. One good thing happened though, my headaches went completely away.
It wasn't long before my runs dramatically improved and weight started falling off of me. At one point an acquaintance came up to me and asked me if I was sick because I had lost so much weight.

I some point, remembering my love for cycling I started spinning. I got ahold of the Sufferfest video series and went to town I have even done a few mini biathlons (at least that's what I call them) where I spin for an hour then hop straight onto a treadmill and run for a minimum of 5K.

No I'm sure you all didn't want to hear my life story, but if you read this far I thank you (I'm very proud of my accomplishments). After all that, the point... I will be heading home from Afghanistan shortly and as a reward for my work I am getting me my dream bike. I am ordering a Pinarrello Dogma 65.1 Think 2 with Super Record EPS. Now I know I am not a pro (obvious from the above) but I think the bike is awesome and it's what I want... and my wife said I could have it ;-)

I will need some help deciding on some of the components for the bike but I'll start another tread for that.

Thanks to all,

TPIP
Old 09-03-12, 07:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Hey, TPIP,

Welcome to Bike Forums from a Texas road rider.

Old 09-03-12, 07:40 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the forum and thanks for serving our country.

You need to post a photo of that new bike once you get it.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-03-12, 08:50 PM
The_Price_I_Pay

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2 with Campagnolo Super Record EPS and Zipp 404 Firecrest clinchers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh trust me I absolutely will
Old 09-04-12, 03:49 AM
Quillback424

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.2, Trek FX 7.5 and Specialized Secteur 64cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just joined the forum a few days ago. I was 262 pounds and 65 years old when I decided to get into shape and start riding three years ago. I'm now 206 pounds and do a Saturday group ride of 37 miles at 18 mph (in Florida where the land is flat). I'm looking for a new bike as well. Seems like I'm always looking for a new bike, but I promised my wife (again) that this will be the last one. Right now I'm looking at a Rodriguez Competition Series 2 (https://www.rodbikes.com/). I'm 6'4" and have a very limited selection (Trek, Specialized and custom) of 64cm bikes.

Thanks for your service. I was in submarines back in the 1960's. I've already figured out that you are not in submarines since I know of none currently in Afghanistan.

I try to ride 15 to 20 miles every morning on a local bike trail. Hope you find a similar place when you return. I still work a full time job and started by forcing myself to ride daily. Now I force myself to return to work daily as I can't wait for dawn every morning to start my morning ride.
Old 09-04-12, 10:15 AM
nevermore1701

Bikes: giant

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
both excellent stories thank you \m/\m/
Old 09-04-12, 06:28 PM
The_Price_I_Pay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quillback424
I just joined the forum a few days ago. I was 262 pounds and 65 years old when I decided to get into shape and start riding three years ago. I'm now 206 pounds and do a Saturday group ride of 37 miles at 18 mph (in Florida where the land is flat). I'm looking for a new bike as well. Seems like I'm always looking for a new bike, but I promised my wife (again) that this will be the last one. Right now I'm looking at a Rodriguez Competition Series 2 (https://www.rodbikes.com/). I'm 6'4" and have a very limited selection (Trek, Specialized and custom) of 64cm bikes.

Thanks for your service. I was in submarines back in the 1960's. I've already figured out that you are not in submarines since I know of none currently in Afghanistan.

I try to ride 15 to 20 miles every morning on a local bike trail. Hope you find a similar place when you return. I still work a full time job and started by forcing myself to ride daily. Now I force myself to return to work daily as I can't wait for dawn every morning to start my morning ride.
Sir,
Thank you.

You are an inspiration!
Old 09-04-12, 07:15 PM
Box worthy

Bikes: Gary Fisher, Monona,trek 7000 (wife's )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for serving and enjoy your new bike.