Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Pair of Glasses at 80--Not Happy.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 04:58 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Recently the MVD told me I could only drive during the day unless I got glasses.
Yesterday we went and ordered some. What a lot of bother! I had no idea glasses
were so complicated. Dr. suggested bi focals so I could glance down at the dashboard
when needed. Ordered some kind of divided lenses that allow for distance, mid range and closeup.
Also to prevent glare. Dr. said only wear them when driving. Which is what I intend.
As to cycling I have gotten along fine this past season with just sunglasses so we will see.
(I should not complain; my dear grandson has had to wear them since a young boy).
Old 01-09-15, 06:04 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I should not complain
This.
Next you'll be telling us you noticed your first gray hair the other day.
Old 01-09-15, 06:06 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Tri Focals.....yay..

Old 01-09-15, 06:41 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. I'm there at (almost) 56 - Trifocals. I've had 'em for a couple of years in fact (had glasses since my mid/late 30s). I keep thinking progressives would be better, but after two pointless attempts a couple of years apart, I'm doubtful: Waaaaay too much that's generally out of focus and blurry, with only a tiny little (moving) spot that's sharp.
Old 01-09-15, 07:16 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow . first pair of glasses. I guess it would be tough to get use to all that at once. I wore glasses since i was a kid, then the blended lenses a few years ago with the transition for sun. The worst time wearing glasses was when my son started wrestling around the age of 9 through high school, by glasses were aways messed up.
Old 01-09-15, 08:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yeah, I got my first pair at 68. What a bummer, eh? I got the progressive lenses with the photochromic option and of course the anti-glare coating. $700 with the frames. I put those bifocal stick-ons (Hydrotac/Optx) in my non-prescription sunglasses so I can read my cycling instruments and auto dash. .
Old 01-09-15, 08:40 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Family curse -- my father and my brother had severe myopia, needed corrective lenses in by age 6 or 7, and ended up with about a -13 diopter correction.

I was a little better off, getting glasses at age 9 and ending up with a -7 correction.

I wore single-vision glasses until two years ago, when I got a pair of "office" progressives, with the bottom 35% of the vision field for close work, the next 40% for midrange, and only the top 25% for distance. For driving and bicycling I still prefer my old single vision lenses.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-09-15, 09:02 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Glasses make you look smarter and more distinguished, at least that's what I keep telling myself. Sort of like gray hair.
Old 01-10-15, 12:19 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by lphilpot
Yep. I'm there at (almost) 56 - Trifocals. I've had 'em for a couple of years in fact (had glasses since my mid/late 30s). I keep thinking progressives would be better, but after two pointless attempts a couple of years apart, I'm doubtful: Waaaaay too much that's generally out of focus and blurry, with only a tiny little (moving) spot that's sharp.
I have recently found that to be so true. I am forcing myself to adapt, it is a slow go.
Old 01-10-15, 12:55 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Yeah you're lucky. I had to start in my 50s and I had 20-20 at one time. I assumed that I'd never be a "four-eyes". I'm up to +2s for general use and +3s for reading. I'm far sighted though and still can hunt w/o glasses. I use my +2s for driving but don't ride with them......yet. Sometimes I forget I have my glasses on when riding from the house so I stop and stash them by the road somewhere and pick them up on the way back home.

I also forget that I'm wearing my reading glasses sometimes when I start to drive away from the house and used to turn around, go back home, and change out. Now I just keep both extra glasses in the truck. I should probably get some upgraded bifocals (My work glasses needed upgrading before I retired) but I'd probably break them so I haven't yet. Been getting the cheapies at the drugstores or book shops.

What a hassle, lol. But I've had to wear safety glasses at work for decades so it's not that foreign to me.
Old 01-10-15, 01:57 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
[h=2]First Pair of Glasses at 80--Not Happy.[/h]My first glasses at 13. Happy! I could see. Better than I ever had. Now it's trifocals, bifocal sunglasses and computer glasses that are restful for my eyes but that I only see the computer screen well.

Ben
Old 01-10-15, 07:40 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
those 'tri foculs' also called 'progressives' can be challenging to get used to. Give yourself some time. The more you wear them the more your eyes will 'learn' to find that sweet spot where they automatically go to the point on the lens that's correct for the distance you are viewing. Good luck
Old 01-10-15, 08:19 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
those 'tri foculs' also called 'progressives' can be challenging to get used to. Give yourself some time. The more you wear them the more your eyes will 'learn' to find that sweet spot where they automatically go to the point on the lens that's correct for the distance you are viewing. Good luck
Tri focals are NOT PROGRESSIVES. Progressives have an ever changing focal point. Tri focals have 3.
Old 01-10-15, 08:45 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
If night driving is the problem, get the anti-glare coating.

I've been wearing glasses for 42 years now. I even have fancy Rudy Project prescription lenses bifocal sunglasses for riding. My eyesight is so bad that I have to use the inserts. I found out that lined bifocals are much better for my riding glasses than progressive lenses. For the most part I'm looking at the map/bike computer or down the road so it's an either/or situation.
Old 01-10-15, 11:24 AM
bexiesbruv

Bikes: Canondale MTB, Arvon Stacy custom steel road, Quattro Assi Team 2000 road.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I put those bifocal stick-ons (Hydrotac/Optx) in my non-prescription sunglasses so I can read my cycling instruments and auto dash. .
Never knew there was such a thing.
I just ordered two sets for my two pair of Serengetis, driving and running/biking. I occasionally run with a music player but not in recent times as i can't read the screen to change playlists or albums and I dont carry my readers with me. Like you, I will also be able to read the screen on my bike comp.
Thanks for the post.
Old 01-10-15, 11:36 AM
jmiked

Bikes: Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lphilpot
Agreed. I tried the progressive lenses for six months and went back and got regular trifocals (a free swap). Nowadays, at 71 years, I don't need glasses for cycling or driving, but do for reading (cataract surgery).
Old 01-10-15, 11:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Trifocals for me at 50. I tried progressives when I needed help reading at 41. They were okay, but biking and driving they didn't yield as much peripheral distance vision as lenses with bi- and tri-focal insets. It is that top-to-bottom distance vision that really helps when approaching cross-streets. On my first pair of bi-focals (back in college in the early '80s before progressives were available) the reading portion was too high and I had a lot of mis-steps on stairs, etc. After college I found I didn't need them any longer and went 20 years before revisiting them. What I did was buy those stick on reading lenses and positioned them down low where I wanted them. Took it in to the optician and said, "here is where I want the cutoff". He said that is not where they usually put them. I said that's irrelevant. They did it my way and I was happy. When I needed separate help for midrange and reading I went to trifocals using my bifocals as to where to put the splits (down low).
Old 01-10-15, 11:59 AM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glasses since 5th grade, contacts from jr. in high school till 'several' years ago... ...now use progressive with good results. Just take your time and as they say 'get used to it'
Old 01-10-15, 12:11 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
I have recently found that to be so true. I am forcing myself to adapt, it is a slow go.
Maybe I need to shop around some more but I spent more time trying to "find focus" than actually using my progressives, both times. When reading a phone book, if the name was sharp the number was blurry. That's how small the area of clear focus was. I ended up with headaches: Not from the poor vision, but from unconscious tightness in my neck muscles as a result of constantly "pointing my nose" at what I was attempting to see.

Plus, in the versions I tried, the focal length varied not only vertically across the lenses, but horizontally as well. If it had been vertical only with horizontal bands of consistent focus that would have worked (essentially like "continuous bi/trifocals"), but not both ways. I have no idea if those are available.

Oh well - What are a few more lines at this point?
Old 01-10-15, 01:55 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
The more I read about the complexities of glasses the more concerned I become that they will help at all. Have pretty good peripheral vision but they said that would be blurry unless I turned my head. I think I am going to feel like Jerry Seinfeld in that episode where he was using the thick glasses for what reason I can't remember. Also the contradiction between the Doctor's advice to only wear them when I am driving and what has been said here about "getting used to them" is a little scary. I can still just read the newspaper without glasses but prefer my trusty $2.00 pair of 1.50s. At night I think I am mostly concerned about glare from oncoming cars so the anti-glare feature sounds good. From what I can see the whole thing about who can drive and who can't seems a little crazy. I underrstand that people with one eye can drive (where's the depth perception?). Another crazy thing about the law here in Maine is that I can legally drive without glasses during the day now but the way I understand it when I get the glasses I will have to wear them all the time!
Old 01-10-15, 08:29 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I suspect the biggest adjustment, S7, will be keeping track of them. Being a practiced four-eye, I can generally find mine hanging from my nose but as a newb, you'll probably have a harder time of it.
Old 01-10-15, 09:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yes, don't complain. I've had glasses since 2nd grade. My diopter is about -5 (nearsighted.) I have progressives, but for bike riding I use contacts so that I can use any old wraparound sunglasses I want, and I take a pair of reading glasses along for food stops.

My swim goggles have optical inserts, too; otherwise I can't read the lap timer on the wall - and it's big.
Old 01-10-15, 10:24 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
..... What I did was buy those stick on reading lenses and positioned them down low where I wanted them. Took it in to the optician and said, "here is where I want the cutoff". He said that is not where they usually put them. I said that's irrelevant. They did it my way and I was happy. When I needed separate help for midrange and reading I went to trifocals using my bifocals as to where to put the splits (down low).
Good for you. The last few pairs of transitions I got I told the doctor where I wanted the reading area to go to. He doesn't get to decide unless you let him. Your money, your decision.

Rich
Old 01-11-15, 07:43 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Heck, the fact you are riding, and for that fact, all of us, is fantastic. Getting glasses is probably the easiest thing I do for my health issues. They will become an everyday thing to you, Sculptor, if this is the worst you have to add, you will get off quite well. Keep on pedaling, everyone, keep on.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-19-15, 06:12 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
First pair of glasses???
Beats a seeing eye dog (got to feed him!) or a white cane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.