Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm done with Specialized tubes, or I wasn't meant to ride today

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-10-15, 07:56 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts

I've been riding on Specialized tubes since the 80's and I've never had problems, until I started using them a few yrs ago after a 12 yr sabbatical from riding.

As far back as I can remember I've never had a pinch flat/blowout of any kind other than a pinched tire running over a stick back in the late 80's (same bike, same wheels). Now that I've been back for a few yrs, I probably can't count on both hands the number of blowout flats I've had, and they've all been on Specialized tubes.

I guess if I was a noob to riding I could say I needed to learn how to change a tube, but I've been doing this for a few decades without issues until now now.

I had a blowout in the garage a couple of weeks ago, and I've had two in my family room on the front this morning while getting ready. I rode that bike last weekend, and it's been sitting in the garage for a week without any problems, until I topped off the tires.

It's starting to get irritating, and I'm swearing off Specialized tubes.

Now to be fair, I'm using my compressor turned up to 125lbs, and the gauge may not be accurate, so I'm going to invest in a decent presta gauge to measure it's true output, but I suspect if anything, it's under 125lbs.

I guess I wasn't meant to ride the road bike today.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 07-10-15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-10-15, 08:05 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Blowouts aren't usually caused by the tubes, they're usually caused by the tire being incorrectly mounted. After mounting the tire, inflate the tube to 3-4 psi, IOW, just enough for the tube to fill the inside of the tire. Next, push the valve stem all the way in as far as it'll go, or until it goes up against the tread side of the tire. Let go and pressure should push it back out again. That ensures that the reinforced part of the tube isn't caught under the tire's bead. Now go all the way around both sides of the tire, pushing the bead in from the rim and verifying that the tube isn't showing. If it is, work it back into the tire. Once you've verified the tube is where it belongs, then it's safe to inflate the tire.

If you leave any spot where the tube is pinched under the bead, it will blow out again. Tubes aren't designed to withstand 100+psi without the tire supporting them.
Old 07-10-15, 08:28 AM
Wileyrat

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Blowouts aren't usually caused by the tubes, they're usually caused by the tire being incorrectly mounted. After mounting the tire, inflate the tube to 3-4 psi, IOW, just enough for the tube to fill the inside of the tire. Next, push the valve stem all the way in as far as it'll go, or until it goes up against the tread side of the tire. Let go and pressure should push it back out again. That ensures that the reinforced part of the tube isn't caught under the tire's bead. Now go all the way around both sides of the tire, pushing the bead in from the rim and verifying that the tube isn't showing. If it is, work it back into the tire. Once you've verified the tube is where it belongs, then it's safe to inflate the tire.

If you leave any spot where the tube is pinched under the bead, it will blow out again. Tubes aren't designed to withstand 100+psi without the tire supporting them.
Yup, I concur, and I've been doing everything I know how to do to seat the tires properly, just like I've been doing for a long time without problems, until now.

In fact, now that I think about it, it's only been since I started using Vittoria Rubino Pro's with Specialized tubes.

Maybe the Vittorias don't like to seat well on my wheels.
Old 07-10-15, 10:40 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I never had luck from Specialized tubes. Their walls are thinner than generic tubes, I think. After dealing with the 5th flat in a month, I switched to cheapie bell tubes, and have had two flats in the entire time since then (over a year). The price you pay for lower rolling resistance and weight, I guess...

I don't think I'm qualified to give an opinion here though, since I run 700Cx38 tires, and so my tube pressure is much lower than yours. Still, I've learned to make tube changing a fine art by partially inflating the tube I'm installing, so it goes in the tire and stays there while I work the bead back onto the rim, then partially inflating it enough so that I can massage the tire evenly around the rim before fully inflating it.

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 07-10-15 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-10-15, 11:33 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Now to be fair, I'm using my compressor turned up to 125lbs, and the gauge may not be accurate, so I'm going to invest in a decent presta gauge to measure it's true output, but I suspect if anything, it's under 125lbs.
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
In fact, now that I think about it, it's only been since I started using Vittoria Rubino Pro's with Specialized tubes.

Maybe the Vittorias don't like to seat well on my wheels.
Glad you rushed out to trash the manufacturer before considering other reasons for your problems. Frankly, I'm surprised you've not had this happen before using an air compressor and such high pressure. You might consider getting yourself a floor pump so you can properly inflate your tires. Or not.
Old 07-10-15, 04:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Specialized does not make their own stuff.. they have contractors, they change sources to pay less,

without passing the difference on to you.

AZ has had a Goat Head Thorn eradication yet? the local flora

can be a problem product purchases , 1 brand Vs another will not solve.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-11-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-10-15, 04:42 PM
Wileyrat

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Glad you rushed out to trash the manufacturer before considering other reasons for your problems. Frankly, I'm surprised you've not had this happen before using an air compressor and such high pressure. You might consider getting yourself a floor pump so you can properly inflate your tires. Or not.
Hey bud, thanks for the feedback.

I am surprised that on a board full of people with as much life experiences as we have, you would assume I just put an air chuck on my tube stem and let er rip.

I start out with a hand pump, and roll my tire back and forth to see that my tube actually is seated in the tire. I do that until I cant roll it back and forth enough to look. Then I go to the compressor and top it off in stages, giving it a rest and checking to see that it looks properly seated until it's full.

I've been using this procedure on this bike for over 20yrs, and I've never had these issues before, so what assumption would you make if you were me?

As far as the compressor, I have a bit of experience with the tool, and one thing I know is that the compressor gauge is almost always on the high side of real pressure. I have checked my tires with a gauge and they have measured under 125lbs (my compressor setting) and the tires are rated to 145lbs.

Sometimes I think that some people here assume post count equals experience, that may not be a good idea. I've been riding LBS bikes and doing my own wrenching since 73. I come here for entertainment, and I'd be happy not to feel the need to get snippy again.
Old 07-10-15, 05:06 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
125psi is pretty damn high unless you are upward of 200lbs.

Anyway, I've had pretty good luck with the Performance Forte Bike tubes and they're buy 3 get 1 free. I use the standard weight but I have used the Lunar Light version also.

And they're 50+ approved.
Old 07-10-15, 05:24 PM
Wileyrat

Originally Posted by andr0id

Anyway, I've had pretty good luck with the Performance Forte Bike tubes and they're buy 3 get 1 free. I use the standard weight but I have used the Lunar Light version also.

Thanks!

I am a little over 200, and that's with spending 4-5 days in the gym or cycling a week, but I'm getting there. We have a Performance bike or two here in Tucson, I'll give them a try.
Old 07-10-15, 06:48 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I used to always use Spesh tubes on 23 Armadillos, then had a rash of valve stems tearing out. Can't say it was due to Spesh, but gave up on them. Now I'm on a mix of Kenda and Conti. Can't tell a difference between the two performance-wise.

scott s.
Old 07-10-15, 06:48 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well as the guy who started this thread is from Tuscon, AZ. Suggest you visit Performance to buy your next tubes.

Reason is they sell so many tube the stock don't sit in a bin for years and go bad.
Old 07-10-15, 07:16 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I've seen some tire/rim combinations that simply didn't work, even though the labeled size said they did. On club member last year blew 3 tubes on the side of the road because the tire was just a fraction too big to seat well. We finally got him home on tube #4 and 60 psi - with the tire threatening to blow off at any time. Sorry, I don't know what brands were involved.
Old 07-11-15, 12:09 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I used to always use Spesh tubes on 23 Armadillos, then had a rash of valve stems tearing out. Can't say it was due to Spesh, but gave up on them. ...
A few years ago I had a series of stem base failures on various innertubes and was about to conclude "they don't make 'em like they used to" when my luck seemed to change. I have not had a stem base failure for at least three years, despite no change in my own practices. (I use a floor hand pump at home and a frame-mounted Zefal HP-X hand pump on the road, about 80-90 PSI front / 90-100 PSI rear, depending on tire width.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-12-15, 08:12 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Specialized does not make their own stuff.. they have contractors, they change sources to pay less,

without passing the difference on to you.

AZ has had a Goat Head Thorn eradication yet? the local flora

can be a problem product purchases , 1 brand Vs another will not solve.
I was going to ask this question: Aren't all tubes manufactured by one or two factories, who produce them for everyone? And, like it or not,
Specialized is the most common name.

In my area, we don't have the dreaded Goat Head thorns. But, we do have other debris by the side of the road. This includes smashed beer bottles,
and various pieces of bent, twisted metal. My last flat was caused by a rather large box staple.
Old 07-12-15, 09:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Specialized is the most common name.
Not so if there is no 'specialized' brand bike selling dealer in your town, and you shop in another store.

.05 per container deposit and paying out that same .05 when returned does cut down on the broken beer bottle problem

in Oregon..
Old 07-12-15, 01:53 PM
Wileyrat

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've seen some tire/rim combinations that simply didn't work, even though the labeled size said they did. On club member last year blew 3 tubes on the side of the road because the tire was just a fraction too big to seat well. We finally got him home on tube #4 and 60 psi - with the tire threatening to blow off at any time. Sorry, I don't know what brands were involved.
I'm pretty sure my problem is this. In all of these the tire was off the rim where it blew, so I assumed the tube was blowing with enough force to blow the bead off the rim. There has been instances where I realized the tire has lifted off the rim moments before the tube rapidly depressurized, so I'm thinking The tires just don't like to seat well on my old wheels.

There's no rhyme or reason to when it happens, it can be moments, or days after I've changed a tube. If I don't go N+1 this week on a CF Ridley, I'll seriously think about a tire change.
Old 07-12-15, 02:52 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
As mentioned, sometimes tire/rim combos just don't work.

Originally Posted by andr0id

I have Nashbar 23mm tires and Nashbar tubes, am 65 at 5' 8.5" and weigh 136lbs. riding with 120 to 130psi without issues and loving the ride. To each our own. Tried the lower recommended pressure according to the charts, NOT!!!!
Old 07-12-15, 07:42 PM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always had trouble with Specialized tubes as well. I generally have had trouble with their tires as well, although in the last couple of years I've gotten a couple of pairs of Roubaix Pros that have held up well.