Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike Reflectors vs. Reflective Tape

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike Reflectors vs. Reflective Tape

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 06:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by emptym
Interesting Sheldon Brown article. But it doesn't quite say that reflectors are worthless, so much as that they aren't a substitute for lights. I agree w/ those who above who recommend some combo of tape, reflectors, and lights.
Some people use a bunch of lights, but most people only have a couple of lights on their bike, and of course, many with no lights, so a passive reflector is better than nothing.

The advantage of reflectors, and reflectorized tape is that they can cheaply cover a much greater area than just the lights, and perhaps more angles too.

The current generation of LEDs is very high intensity, but with a narrow beam.

Thus, I'd advocate a combination of the two.

I'll try to get a simple camera flash photo of my bike trailer in the next few days... with the trailer dating back to perhaps the start of this thread The old reflective media is still quite effective.
Old 01-24-18, 06:40 PM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Ulp, I too didn't realize I was replying to a very old thread. My first day back after being away from BF for a while. But this is still a very good idea.
Over 14 years later, still a good idea.
Old 01-24-18, 06:43 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I would never rely on reflectors alone, although on occasion while driving I have seen unlit bicycles with the standard reflectors shining in my headlights, and it was enough for me to know that it was a bicycle. So reflectors do work. Not as good as lights, but they do work and will at the very least warn drivers that there is a bicycle ahead. Better than not having reflectors while riding at night, but of course not as good as having lights.
I mentioned it in another thread, one night there was a bicycle several hundred feet ahead of me. He had a rear reflector and reflective bands on his ankles. The rear reflector was far, far more attention getting than the ankle bands were. When he was somewhat off to the side than directly in front of me the reflector still caught part of the light and was noticeable while the ankle bands were not that reflective without light hitting them directly.
Old 01-25-18, 06:35 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
That's what I've done. Each wheel has 8 strips of white reflective tape spaced between every 4 spokes. So not only will they see the wheel reflectors (which I'm too much of a Fred to remove) but they'll also see the diameter of my two wheels and should instantly realize that it's a bike.

*edit* Ulp, I too didn't realize I was replying to a very old thread. My first day back after being away from BF for a while. But this is still a very good idea.
I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Where are you putting them on the sides of the rim that isn't braking surface?
Old 01-25-18, 01:17 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Where are you putting them on the sides of the rim that isn't braking surface?
The rim has a braking surface right next to the edge of the rim, then the center is kind of V-shaped, so there's space between where the spokes connect in the center and the braking surface on the edge.

Here's a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nsdpi5wwh...62003.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 01-25-18 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 01-25-18, 01:47 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Ah, ok, so not box section rims then.