Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Gearing: Derailleur Vs. Internal Hub Gearing

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 07-19-20, 09:59 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

I am getting closer to making my recumbent trike purchase. One of my concerns is that derailleur gearing appears that it would require
considerable maintenance and adjustment, whereas internal hub gearing would be less of a maintenance and adjustment issue. So
I am trying to decide if it's worth it to pay the additional monies for an internal hub gearing.

Would really appreciate your thoughts and input on this issue....thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 07-19-20, 10:24 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I've owned trikes with both. My 2001 Greenspeed GTO is equipped with the Schlumpf Mountain Drive and a 65 tooth chainring in the front. The rear was originally a SACHS S-7 3 speed internal hub and 8 speed rear derailleur. That combination gave it an extraordinary wide gear range for touring. I put a lot of miles on it over 9 years and had just a few problems with the 3 speed hub and with the Schlumpf Mountain Drive. I was able to repair the SMD myself when an internal gear in it broke but had to import the part from Florian Schlumpf in Europe. The SACHS 3-speed hub lasted about 20K miles and then I had to replace it with a newer SRAM Dual-Drive. No bike shop in my area would even consider working on either one. My first trike and my current trike both have standard gearing with a front and rear derailleur. I can buy the parts for the drive online or in any decent sized local bike shop and if I were unable to work on it myself I could find a local bike show that would. It's the prime reason why when I retired the Greenspeed GTO I chose a bike with a standard drive.

I don't find maintaining standard gearing a problem but maybe that is just me.
Old 07-19-20, 10:41 AM
Scubaquarius

Thanks so much for the information and personal experience. Very Helpful!

Scuabquarius
Old 07-27-20, 11:36 AM
Bobcat22

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
Thanks so much for the information and personal experience. Very Helpful!

Scuabquarius
May I add, the internal geared hubs are not as efficient as externally geared systems. However I am not sure in the "real world" if that less efficiency makes that much of a difference. Having access to parts and service is a concern.
Old 07-27-20, 02:11 PM
Scubaquarius

Yes indeed, parts and service are of paramount importance.
Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 07-31-20, 02:17 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
The really good internal hubs such as the Rohloff speed hub are expensive but bullet proof. People who have it, love it. With a 14 speed internal hub you really have 14 speeds. With a front and rear derailleur such as an 3x7 or 3x9 you don't really have 21 or 27 gears because there is a lot over overlap.
A friend of mine just bought a new bike with the new Pinion gear system and loves it. I don't know if there are any trike manufacturer out there already offering that gear system. It basically requires a different bottom bracket since the gearing sits inside the bottom bracket and not in the whee hub. https://pinion.eu/en/
But derailleurs are a lot cheaper. Yes they do require a bit more maintenance but this is easy. And if you are not constantly riding in the dirt the maintenance is low.
I am personally a fan of internal hubs. I have the Sachs 3x7 on a few bikes. It is basically a 3 speed internal hub and a 7 speed derailleur. The 3 speed internal hub is used instead of a front derailleur. What I like about internal hub over a front derailleur:
- You can shift while stopped. A derailleur requires a moving chain to shift. An internal hub does not. In city traffic with lots of stop and go this is an advantage.
- They shift more precise and faster. Some front derailleurs are just horrible.
I had one internal geared hub break after 24 years of usage. It was part of the clutch that broke. And yes as mentioned by Vegastriker above, not many bike stores are wanting to work on internal hubs. I had the same problem and taught myself to fix it. Not rocket science if you can get the parts for these old hubs. So if a bike store is telling me that internal geared hubs are too complicated to work on, they are either lazy or incompetent.
Old 07-31-20, 06:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I had a SRAM 3x7 rear hub on my V-Rex for years, and it worked fine. Along with a triple in front, it gave me 63 gears, but more importantly it gave me a gear range of 17 to 144 inches. My only complaints were that I had three shifters on my handlebars and I couldn't have a quick-release for the rear wheel - I had to carry a 15mm wrench with me everywhere. I finally went back to a standard setup and am much happier that way. On a side note, the internal gears by themselves typically produce less range and have a slightly lower efficiency than a standard derailleur system.
Old 08-01-20, 07:09 AM
Scubaquarius

Thank you for the information and another point of view,
Scubaquarius
Old 08-01-20, 07:48 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Yes, the SACHS 3X7 hub had a sterling reputation especially from people who put a lot of miles on it because it was very rugged. When SRAM bought out SACHS, they redesigned the hub to become the SRAM Dual-Drive which while good was not nearly as long-lived as the SACHS S7. SRAM ceased making the Dual-Drive hub in 2015 and no longer has anything like it. I would have kept the original S7 hub on my Greenspeed GTO but for the fact that SRAM really sucks when it comes to getting spare parts for their products. About the only way to get one these days is to find a used wheel with the DD installed. Utah Trikes calls the Sturmey Archer hub a "dual-drive" but it is not nearly as robust as the original which was actually trade marked by SRAM.
Old 08-01-20, 11:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have a Sram 3 x 8 and a Sram 3 x 9. They are virtually bullet proof. They seldom need adjustment. Once a year I remove the tension pulley and the jockey wheel to clean and grease them.
Old 08-01-20, 03:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
rather than long shift cables consider the Electronic Di2 shifted Alfine 11 ?

Or the Rohloff ...Though the cables are long the shifting is inside the hub,... not separated between lever clicks on the bars and action at the back ..

Schlumpf speed drive also shifts internally ... 34t acts like a 54t in it's overdrive ,
( R'off is fine with bigger go fast gears its the low climbing gears that are hard on it .
Hint: to get a lower gear build around a 20" rear wheel..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-01-20 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 03:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
Internal you can shift while stopped. That IMO is the most significant functional difference. For a trike or even a bent, if you find yourself stopped on a hill in the wrong gear, being able to shift down is more than nice.
Old 08-03-20, 09:40 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Internal you can shift while stopped. That IMO is the most significant functional difference. For a trike or even a bent, if you find yourself stopped on a hill in the wrong gear, being able to shift down is more than nice.
I second that.
Old 08-30-20, 08:35 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I've always loved internal geared hubs and have extensively used Sturmey Archer and Shimano products. The issue becomes ease of maintenance and reliability. I ended up with a Shimano Alfine 11speed hub that I really couldn't maintain. I couldn't find anyone locally that would do maintenance on it. I could send it to Seattle but why not just put on a derailleur setup, let it get dirty. Clean, adjust and let it get dirty again. So simple, cheap and reliable. All I have left is a newer Sturmey Archer 3 speed with drum brake. Excellent hub. Three speeds are easy to take apart and adjust/lubricate. The bicycles I changed over to derailleur setups were all faster than the internal geared version of itself. I find I always beat myself to death with my great ideas. I finally give up and move on to the next great idea. Good luck with internal geared hubs.
Old 08-30-20, 06:55 PM
Bobcat22

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the Next Best Idea?

tallbikeman, you say, "I finally give up and move on to the next great idea." What would that be?
bc

Last edited by Bobcat22; 08-30-20 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 10:12 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Bobcat22 my entire life is littered with the remains of my so many great ideas. As I age I find that I'm more fearful of my next great idea than the blind enthusiasm I used to exhibit when creating the next great idea.