Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Froome fears descents?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 01:02 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Froome fears descents?

On today's Vuelta stage Chris Froome lost considerable time on the last descent. Up to that point he had maintained contact with the lead group, but he let a huge gap open on the descent and finished a minute or so behind them. It appeared that he was timid on the descent. His body language going around the curves looked as if he lost confidence in his descending skill. A bad accident, as he suffered, can do that.
Old 10-20-20, 01:50 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
On today's Vuelta stage Chris Froome lost considerable time on the last descent. Up to that point he had maintained contact with the lead group, but he let a huge gap open on the descent and finished a minute or so behind them. It appeared that he was timid on the descent. His body language going around the curves looked as if he lost confidence in his descending skill. A bad accident, as he suffered, can do that.
I haven't watched, but the press report says he was dropped on a climb?
https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/vu...age-1/results/

Also says that he lost 10-11 minutes to the GC. do you mean that he lost one of those minutes on the descent?
Old 10-20-20, 02:15 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I haven't watched, but the press report says he was dropped on a climb?
https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/vu...age-1/results/

Also says that he lost 10-11 minutes to the GC. do you mean that he lost one of those minutes on the descent?
Yes he was dropped on the climb, but he was within reach of the lead group. It wasn’t until the descent that he fell considerably farther back and no longer was in reach of the lead group. I didn’t know that he lost 10-11 minutes.
Old 10-20-20, 02:23 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Froome is done. I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last race. Perhaps he'll hold out hope for making more progress before next season, but he's won his last race.
Old 10-20-20, 03:16 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
He was struggling on the penultimate climb and didn't look like the Froome of old on the descent but it was on the final cat1 climb that he lost most time. He's going to Israel Start Up Nation next season. Too soon to write the guy off.
Likes For Caretaker:
Old 10-20-20, 05:50 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Caretaker
... He's going to Israel Start Up Nation next season. Too soon to write the guy off.
Not too soon to get worried and position themselves for the eventuality that they took a bet isn't looking like it's going to pay off like they hoped.
Old 10-21-20, 04:35 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
The dude got exploded and went almost full Humpty Dumpty.

Kudos to him for giving the return to prowess a chance. I'm patient and he's driven. Maybe some of the Israeli king's horses and men can help put him together again. I wish him well.
Old 10-21-20, 06:13 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Froome got dropped about 2/3 way up the penultimate climb and tried to jump back on on the descent, but the speed was just too fast. Fast descenders like Alaphilippe, Nibali, Sagan, might have gotten back on, but not Froome. Froome is not a bad descender, and I'm willing to bet he can beat anyone here descending.

By the time they got to final climb, Froome done, so he basically sat up. His Strava showed that he was only putting out 250w on the final climb, so he had already called it a day.

But i wouldn't count him out yet. A broken body and pandemic will inhibit a lot of progress. It's ridiculous for anyone to be expecting Froome to comeback in pre-crash top form. Anyone expecting this has not competed at the highest levels
Old 10-21-20, 06:29 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Once a racer in his position realizes that is is not going to be a GC contender, then why take risks?
Old 10-23-20, 06:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
With Froome and Dan Martin getting older, does anyone think that maybe they are looking to get into being team staff? Maybe since Israel Startup is new, up and coming they see that as a potential place for them when they decide to quit riding competitions. Froome more so than Dan. But only because I've never heard about how well Dan does his own strategizing. Froome supposedly is good with strategy.
Old 10-25-20, 07:09 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Iride01
With Froome and Dan Martin getting older, does anyone think that maybe they are looking to get into being team staff? Maybe since Israel Startup is new, up and coming they see that as a potential place for them when they decide to quit riding competitions. Froome more so than Dan. But only because I've never heard about how well Dan does his own strategizing. Froome supposedly is good with strategy.
I think they're ok with taking team Israel for suckers regarding their remaining riding talent. More power to them.