Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Newb from Kirkland checking in!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 11:31 PM
Summersnake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, all! I'm Nick, from the burbs of Seattle. Back in 1995 I did STP with a friend and it kicked off a few years of obsessive riding, which culminated in RAMROD 2001. By then, I had turned myself into an obsessive hill climber (the Zoo climb was my favorite route to ride and also to lead - if you don't know what that is, you can Google it :-)). I was doing century rides on the weekends. I wasn't fast, but I enjoyed endurance. That all tapered off in 2001 when my wife had our daughter, and I've ridden very little since.

Anybody from the Microsoft bike community circa 2000 in the house? :-)

Anyway, my daughter is 19 and in college now, so I'm looking to get back into cycling, for commuting and for fitness. I came here to get some help maybe finding a second hand bike - I'll post the relevant stuff in the appropriate place :-).

So, hi! I'm introverted but not shy, so reach out :-)

Last edited by Summersnake; 01-02-21 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-01-21, 11:46 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Old 01-02-21, 12:30 AM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Hi Summer,

I've been in the Puget Sound area 5+ years now. Done no centuries here, but the Zoo climb probably 150x. Had a nasty near miss with a deer in September at 40mph on Village Parkway in September, so that's sort of tempered my desire to do the climb recently. The past several weeks I've been looping around to Camano Island--a really fun ride with lots of up and downs and virtually no braking and I think it's very safe. It puzzles me that most rides I don't see another biker as it's a great place to ride and the road seems to be dry enough that i don't even need to detail my bike afterwards...with the pandemic no traffic coming home through Everett or Bellevue so this is sort of unique time to do this.

Have you ever done the Lion's Rock climb out of Ellensburg (to where the road turns to dirt anyway)? That's a really epic half day ride (I'm only good for about a half day now days).
Old 01-02-21, 12:33 AM
notthe1freeman
Bike Bum Extrordinare

Bikes: 1990s specialized hard rock ultra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Welcome from CDA Idaho
Old 01-02-21, 01:27 AM
Summersnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SClaraPokeman
Hi Summer,

I've been in the Puget Sound area 5+ years now. Done no centuries here, but the Zoo climb probably 150x. Had a nasty near miss with a deer in September at 40mph on Village Parkway in September, so that's sort of tempered my desire to do the climb recently. The past several weeks I've been looping around to Camano Island--a really fun ride with lots of up and downs and virtually no braking and I think it's very safe. It puzzles me that most rides I don't see another biker as it's a great place to ride and the road seems to be dry enough that i don't even need to detail my bike afterwards...with the pandemic no traffic coming home through Everett or Bellevue so this is sort of unique time to do this.

Have you ever done the Lion's Rock climb out of Ellensburg (to where the road turns to dirt anyway)? That's a really epic half day ride (I'm only good for about a half day now days).
No, but one of my most memorable rides was from Cle Elum over the pass to Leavenworth and back. Gorgeous, nice climbs, with long swooping downhills. Supposedly there's a turn to take the closed old sauk pass road on that route, but we couldn't find it so we stuck to the highway.
Old 01-02-21, 07:15 AM
Shwuno

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
complete and utter noob here too! Learning to build a bike, using a French donor - not sure it’s the best idea I’ve had!
Originally Posted by Summersnake
Hi, all! I'm Nick, from the burbs of Seattle. Back in 1995 I did STP with a friend and it kicked off a few years of obsessive riding, which culminated in RAMROD 2001. By then, I had turned myself into an obsessive hill climber (the Zoo climb was my favorite route to ride and also to lead - if you don't know what that is, you can Google it :-)). I was doing century rides on the weekends. I wasn't fast, but I enjoyed endurance. That all tapered off in 2001 when my wife had our daughter, and I've ridden very little since.

Anybody from the Microsoft bike community circa 2000 in the house? :-)

Anyway, my daughter is 19 and in college now, so I'm looking to get back into cycling, for commuting and for fitness. I came here to get some help maybe finding a second hand bike - I'll post the relevant stuff in the appropriate place :-).

So, hi! I'm introverted but not shy, so reach out :-)
Old 01-02-21, 03:11 PM
Hproduguidon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 127 Posts
Bonjour et bienvenue