Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Generator or something to power a USB port while on the trainer?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 09:32 AM
British

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So being without power for a few days recently made me think it would be neat to have a generator on my home trainer that would power a USB charger. Surely such a thing exists, right? The only wheel generators I can find power a light, but that's it.

It doesn't need to be "road worthy", I would just use a charged up battery pack for that. This is something that would likely just sit in my emergency box until this happens again.
Old 02-27-21, 12:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Get some rollers and use a hub dyno.

There is one brand of smart trainer that uses the power from the trainer to power the electronics. Tacx? I forget.

Tapping into that would be a project though. Most smart trainers actually are generating electricity and then wasting it. I don't imagine that would be particularly easy to tap into either.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-27-21, 01:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Plan A was mentioned above.

Plan B. Or maybe a solar panel that supplies USB power. Use that to charge up a power bank and then use the power bank to charge your phone. Most power banks can't be charged while also charging a device, but some can.

Plan C. You can get a USB charger that you plug into a 12v socket in your car. A few cars have a socket that is always live, charge up your phone in your car off the 12v socket and USB charger. But do not leave that in the socket when not in use, the battery will go down. Most cars do not have a live socket when your ignition is off. In that case, one of those 12v chargers can be hot wired to the car battery, that is better than leaving the car ignition on which can drain the battery faster. I re-wired one of the 12v sockets in my truck to be live 100 percent of the time so I would have USB power when camping.

Plan D. Live where the power utilities plan for bad weather. This winter was not too bad, the photo is from two years ago on my patio and even in that weather there was no suggestion that we might lose power or natural gas or water pressure.

Old 02-27-21, 10:56 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
There is one brand of smart trainer that uses the power from the trainer to power the electronics. Tacx? I forget.
Yep, the Tacx Neo can work without power. There have been times I forgot to plug it in and never noticed, lol!

But the device that runs the trainer software still needs power - so phone or tablet, in combination with a USB power bank. Or perhaps a laptop with long battery life , should be able to handle maybe 2-3 hours of riding.