Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can bike riding help lose weight?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can bike riding help lose weight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 12:51 PM
sammymann

Bikes: Palomar GT, JAMIS Alegro 1,Retrospect FoldUp, Cyclepro Rendezvous

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Scientific fact. Muscle weighs more than fat.
Old 04-05-21, 01:05 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanO
Calories in, calories out.
I'm not sure I've encountered a bigger generalization than that, having gained three pounds over 3 days with at 12,000+ calorie deficit. lol
Old 04-05-21, 01:42 PM
leadholder

Bikes: Ritchey Road, 72 Windsor Pro, 94 Bridgestone MB1, 98 Kona Explosif, bunch of old Schwinns.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For me cycling mostly helps me maintain my
Old 04-05-21, 01:50 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Any and all physical activity, within limits of your health and abilities, can contribute to weight loss. More important is to understand blood chemistry for indicators and calorie intake and its constituents.

No more sugar in any form.

Limit simple carbohydrates.

Healthy unsaturated fats.

Lean meat proteins and vegetable proteins.

No crappy snacking. No fast foods. No processed foods.

Limit overall calories.

This isn't really that hard. Get your blood work done. Cut out the crap.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 04-05-21, 01:52 PM
Spartacus713

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I lost 60 pounds in a year, with cycling as my only exercise. I rode about an hour a day, averaging probably a bit under 5 days a week.

However, I was also eating healthy at the same time. My focus was not on losing weight, but on being more healthy. For me that means a balanced daily meal plan, including meat every day, vegetables every day, grains every day, dairy every day, eggs every day, fruit every day, and also nuts, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and bread periodically but somewhat regularly. Also, no fast food or junk food, and very little processed food. For me, the #1 enemy is added sugar. I avoid it diligently, as it is everywhere.

I monitored my food with the "MyPlate" app, and targeted my sedentary calorie target of about 2,000 calories a day in, while I was burning an estimated 'moderately active' about 2,600 calories a day out. Here is a free calculator for calculating all of this:

Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator

The nutrition is important and you will not lose weight on any exercise if you ingest more food energy than you burn off. And there is no "diet" that will permanently immunize you from putting the weight back on, if you return to your previous, unhealthy habits. The key is to establish a new, permanent, healthy and smart nutrition and exercise paradigm for yourself, and do NOT just pursue this like a short-term fix. It will only last for the short term if you do it that way.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 04-05-21 at 01:55 PM.
Likes For Spartacus713:
Old 04-05-21, 02:07 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
When I started commuting by bike (26 mile RT) I used it as an excuse to eat whatever the heck I wanted. I refer to the time that followed as my fit and fat period. Gotta manage both sides of the equation.

I've been seeing a lot of ads on Facebook and in web sidebars for "The Cycling Diet" or something like that. I clicked through but it didn't go to anywhere that seemed to have much substance before they pumped you for personal info, so I stopped. Has anyone here run into something solid there?
Old 04-05-21, 03:47 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Bikes: Kona JTS, Norco Sasquatch 07(had), Giant Fastroad SLR 17(had)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
I'm not sure I've encountered a bigger generalization than that, having gained three pounds over 3 days with at 12,000+ calorie deficit. lol
Now how many litres of water is that?
Old 04-05-21, 05:06 PM
schind1324

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EliasGoodman
Hi everybody,
cycling can lose weight or not? My friend cycled daily around the area where she lived but did not seem to notice the weight loss but also tended to increase slowly. Do not know where the problem lies? Can someone point me out the problem?
Thank you very much for your interest in my matter.
Yes cycling can help you loose weight. I took off 15 lbs last spring when I was taken out of the field and had to work from home due to COVID. You need to ride enough to get a good workout in and watch your diet but yes I use cycling to lose weight on a regular basis. You need to mix up your rides do intervals or hills one day and then flats to mix it up and not let you body get use to the same routine.
Old 04-05-21, 05:27 PM
road195 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I am thankful for all the positive thoughts, and inputs. I have been on the yo yo diet, and other fat burners etc. Time to apply a new better self discipline, principles. This article is worth more than the yearly cost of forum, genuine!
Old 04-05-21, 05:35 PM
jpdemers

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, on nicer wheels.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You lose weight when you expend more calories than you take in. Simple as that. No magical diet advice will get you past the unavoidable chemistry and physics of that equation. Cycling is an efficient way of getting from A to B (with fewer calories than walking or running the same distance), so it's obviously not a magic bullet. How hard you work, and for how long, are what matter, as is true of any form of exercise intended to burn calories.

Ignore the "eat this" or "never eat that" garbage advice you get with fad diets (ever wonder why there's always a new one the hucksters want you to try next?) What works is being smart about how much of what goes into your mouth - and, more importantly, STAYING smart, so the weight doesn't creep back. Reading food labels is part of being smart, so you don't gobble down that single serving cup of tomato soup that has 30 grams of sugar in it, or "imitation seafood" that has sugar as the #2 ingredient. (Both of those are real products.)

I've dropped 20 lbs using a pretty decent phone app (Noom) that has me thinking differently about what I eat, and how much of it. (I'm sure there are others - this is what I tried, and it works for me.) A change in thinking and attitude toward eating is essential to permanent weight loss. Anything else can only put you on the yo-yo diet cycle.

Last edited by jpdemers; 04-05-21 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 05:38 PM
Dillon914

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
All about diet and eating clean or clean ish. Small changes go a long way
Hi everybody,
cycling can lose weight or not? My friend cycled daily around the area where she lived but did not seem to notice the weight loss but also tended to increase slowly. Do not know where the problem lies? Can someone point me out the problem?
Thank you very much for your interest in my matter.
Likes For Dillon914:
Old 04-06-21, 03:22 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
It might be an unpopular opinion, but Cardio doesn't burn as many extra calories as people think. Weight-loss is best handled in the kitchen. Strength training has a bigger impact on calories out than Cardio of equivalent time during activity. But, cycling will not hurt weight-loss unless you are consuming to many calories for fuel. Weight-loss is calories in< calories out. There is no exception.
Old 04-06-21, 06:55 AM
road195 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, I have also seen lots of ads for the Cycling diet. When I tried to find out, it seemed to be bogus?
Old 04-06-21, 09:57 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
This is one of the ads I keep seeing, with different smiling faces and different claims of BIG results. I mentioned in post 85 and road195 in 92.

I don't think there's any there there, but if someone can vouch to the contrary, I'm interested.

I'm tired of being a slug. I'm cutting back on chow, upgrading quality, getting going again on my ergometer, and will be mixing in some miles on the bike soon, too. At this point, just showing up is enough. But a sane and well devised program is a bonus.

Old 04-06-21, 11:42 AM
Dillon914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Definitely
Originally Posted by Melvang
It might be an unpopular opinion, but Cardio doesn't burn as many extra calories as people think. Weight-loss is best handled in the kitchen. Strength training has a bigger impact on calories out than Cardio of equivalent time during activity. But, cycling will not hurt weight-loss unless you are consuming to many calories for fuel. Weight-loss is calories in< calories out. There is no exception.
Old 04-07-21, 09:59 AM
okoweq

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Cycling is probably the most effective way to lose weight provided you cycle enough to burn more than you eat AND you eat healthy food. Because:
- It activates big muscle chains (posterior chain, quads) that require lots of calories, meaning you'll burn a lot per hour of work compared to other sports.
- It's relatively soft on the body (muscles and joints) so you can cycle for long periods of time, and recover quickly so you can ride 3-4 times a week. Even daily depending on how much you ride.
- If you're already overweight, you can cycle without worrying about damaging your joints (like you might do when running) and not be penalized by your weight as you get started.
Likes For okoweq:
Old 04-07-21, 10:05 AM
Dillon914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
it helped me recover from injuries and ACL surgery
Originally Posted by okoweq
Cycling is probably the most effective way to lose weight provided you cycle enough to burn more than you eat AND you eat healthy food. Because:
- it’s helped me with injury recovery and ACL surgery It activates big muscle chains (posterior chain, quads) that require lots of calories, meaning you'll burn a lot per hour of work compared to other sports.
- It's relatively soft on the body (muscles and joints) so you can cycle for long periods of time, and recover quickly so you can ride 3-4 times a week. Even daily depending on how much you ride.
- If you're already overweight, you can cycle without worrying about damaging your joints (like you might do when running) and not be penalized by your weight as you get started.
Likes For Dillon914:
Old 04-07-21, 11:49 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
There's a formula for losing weight which is actually quite simple...eat less, move more.
Correct.

Although I think the formula ratio is more like this ... eat less, eat less, eat less, eat less, move more.
Old 04-07-21, 11:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
This is one of the ads I keep seeing, with different smiling faces and different claims of BIG results. I mentioned in post 85 and road195 in 92.

I don't think there's any there there, but if someone can vouch to the contrary, I'm interested.

I'm tired of being a slug. I'm cutting back on chow, upgrading quality, getting going again on my ergometer, and will be mixing in some miles on the bike soon, too. At this point, just showing up is enough. But a sane and well devised program is a bonus.
I think that ad is b.s., probably had surgery to remove an arm or something. Although the first 10 pounds is relatively easy for most folks. Then just a plateau. I figure if I go on a long ride, that's time away from the refrigerator and junk food. When I ride a lot, I lose weight. I think aiming for a half pound a week is a very good goal. If I did that for 2 years, my doctor would start bothering me about gaining weight. It does take some discipline about not eating high calorie foods for no reason.
Old 04-07-21, 12:02 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Rode a NY to LA Tour in 2009. 4200 miles in the Heat of the Summer.
Gained 2 lbs.
Another rider a small guy Gained 18 lbs of muscle.

Hottest Day was 112*F

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 04-07-21 at 12:07 PM.
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-07-21, 12:49 PM
Dillon914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
mans eat better food. You can actually eat a lot if it’s veggies and learn protein.
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Correct.

Although I think the formula ratio is more like this ... eat less, eat less, eat less, eat less, move more.
Likes For Dillon914:
Old 04-07-21, 01:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
...did not seem to notice the weight...
You may not see weight loss, but you should be able to tie your shoes, get out of a chair, or even make it to the refrigerator a little easier. When I am ridding regularly my life is easier even if I don't loose weight.
Old 04-07-21, 03:23 PM
Dillon914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
guess it depends on the person and how much activity they do normally
Originally Posted by zandoval
You may not see weight loss, but you should be able to tie your shoes, get out of a chair, or even make it to the refrigerator a little easier. When I am ridding regularly my life is easier even if I don't loose weight.
Old 04-09-21, 10:36 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 227 Posts
Last year (19-20) I rode all winter in Bangkok. I'd get up around 6:30am and head out on the bike from my house in the eastern suburbs around 7:00am just after it had gotten light. I would ride between 35 and 60 kilometers almost everyday before it got hot. In seven weeks I lost 22lbs. I didn't really change my diet that much but I did cut out ice cream. Maybe that's what did it! I'm 5'10" and was at 206 dropping down to 184lbs.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 06-02-21, 08:00 PM
EliasGoodman

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obrigado pelo seu comentário. Graças a isso minha amiga emagreceu muito e ficou linda
Currently, you are looking to buy a better bike to continue cycling but do not know which is better to choose? can you give an example?

Last edited by EliasGoodman; 06-02-21 at 08:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.