Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Need a cadence logger for 6 year old BMX racer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 09:13 AM
zimmerba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All, I know this is a strange request but I thought I would ask the group. In BMX racing the parents are always trying to find the perfect gear and it’s generally trial and error. There are a hundred schools of thoughts and it is normally kid specific.

what I’m hoping to find is a way to log the pedal cadence for a race. The duration of a race is only around 50 seconds. I would like to be able to log each revolution. Knowing the cadence and the gear ratio will allow me to optimize the power output over the race.

is there a device that will log each revolution of the pedals over time?
Old 04-03-21, 10:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
You could get a GPS/cyclometer with a cadence sensor and get all sorts of data about speed, cadence and whether they were climbing or descending.

I suppose that many versions of Cateye and other non GPS devices that work with cadence sensors will do this too, but I don't know which keep data or which are only for real time use. Every GPS/cyclometer I've ever seen logs data for later review.

You can spend a lot or a little.
Old 04-03-21, 10:51 AM
zimmerba

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

You can spend a lot or a little.
what would you recommend if I wanted to spend a little? 😀
Old 04-03-21, 10:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by zimmerba
what would you recommend if I wanted to spend a little? 😀
Wait for some of the non-GPS recommendations that others might suggest in reply to your OP.

CatEye seems to be the brand most of the non-GPS crowd tend to favor. I think that log data that you can save to your computer and view later, but I don't know for certain. Though if their data is saved in a format that is only useable with their apps and/or their own website, then that will be a negative for me.

In the GPS world you could get a Garmin Edge 130 plus for 150 USD right now. You'd also have to get a compatible cadence sensor that Garmin also sells.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/698436#overview

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12844-00

But there probably are less expensive or better GPS options that that price in other brands. I'm just a Garmin user for a very long time. I have not ever used any other on my bike, boat or road.

Nor is that a recommendation for the 130. It's just what Garmin has at about it's lowest price point.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-03-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-03-21, 11:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I thin the garmin cadence sensors log cadence by themselves for d/l later. Not sure how to d/l them
Old 04-03-21, 10:23 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I thin the garmin cadence sensors log cadence by themselves for d/l later. Not sure how to d/l them
The cadence sensor and the wheel sensor send a signal to the garmin head unit, there's no internal storage.

I've never drilled down enough on mine to look at single pedal strokes.

OP I think you just want to know if the cadence is too high so you can adjust gearing?

If you really love your kid of course you'd buy him a power meter.