Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji Hierarchy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fuji Hierarchy

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 12:57 AM
2bfree

Bikes: '98 Santana S&S Arriva, '71 Fuji Finest, '02 Fuji Finest, '87 Fuji Roubaix (Made in Japan)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
. . .Rode a Fuji Finest for several years; fully chromed frame with a very thin dark blue paintjob (other color choice was white) makng it look almost translucent and the lugs were full chrome. Nice stuff!
Nice stuff, indeed! I'm still riding my '72 Fuji Finest (white: the "other" color)--double-butted chrome-moly.
Recently, I found a vintage Fuji Roubaix on eBay, and I don't know where it fits in the Fuji hierarchy. It has:
  • lugged, quad-butted Ishiwata SI-45 "Feather" tubing,
  • mostly 105 components (FD, RD, down-tube indexed shifters, crankset, pedals, headset, side-pulls with SLR aero levers, 1050 hubs, 6-cog 13-24 indexed cassette),
  • Nitto stem and bars
  • Sakae seat post
  • Selle San Marco Lazer saddle
  • Ukai 700Cx25 rims with bladed spokes
  • internally-routed rear brake housing
  • rounded, one-piece "Italian style" fork crown, not the older lugged crown.
I suspect it's from the late '80s: it's not listed in the 1986 Fuji catalog; it says "Made in Japan" under the seat-tube Ishiwata label, and about that time Fuji production was shifting to Taiwan. I don't know the time-line of the 105 group or Shimano 6-cog indexing, and since Fuji has changed hands several times, the serial number trail is cold. Can anyone help date this? I've read that "triple-" and "quad-butted" in that era were mostly marketing hype, but the Ishiwata tubing is the real steel deal: very sweet ride!
Old 07-06-07, 10:02 PM
J.Knecht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding a Fuji Team right now. It's my "tester" bike (I bought it instead of dropping a bunch of cash on something I might decide I didn't want). I love it, and now I don't feel the need to by something newer. I'm trying to determine it's vintage, but my best guess (from this Suntour timeline) is that it came out around 86. Features Sprint components with the exception of the Superbe Pro derailleurs.

I've posted a picture here
Old 07-07-07, 02:50 AM
mstrpete
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldcrank
I had a Fuji men's S-10-S. It was a great ride. I began upgrading components to DuraAce at the time, but I had it locked to a sign-post . . . I guess you can finish the story from there. I don't see many of the S10S models around, such as Ebay or Craigslist.
Check this one out:

I scored this one from my neighbor. "You want it? Take it!" is what he said. I've got a seat on it, and a working front brake, and it just soars like a falcon! I love it. S/N dates it to Jan. 1977, and it's supposed to be a 12-speed. I'll take care of that soon enough.
Old 07-07-07, 06:55 AM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstrpete
Check this one out:

I scored this one from my neighbor. "You want it? Take it!" is what he said. I've got a seat on it, and a working front brake, and it just soars like a falcon! I love it. S/N dates it to Jan. 1977, and it's supposed to be a 12-speed. I'll take care of that soon enough.
Is this a Fuji? I thought they didn't have 12spd until the early 80's...
Old 07-07-07, 12:14 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I hope this helps answer questions about the Team. I have a 1986 Team. It was purchased from the original owner who said it was purchased it in 1986. The Sprint derailers were manufactured in Sept, 1985, so the dates line up. It has Quad butted tubing, according to the decal on the down tube, but it does not say Valite. The Accushift index shifters were added after I purchased it. The originals were Suntour Sprint. It's a nice bike, but I doubt top of the line. Fuji made no claim that the tubing was special other than quad butted. They did not claim it was seamless or made by Tange. Still, the bike is relatively light for the time period weighing in at 21 lbs and it has a nice ride.
BTW, I also have a 1985 Espree that has quad butted, Valite tubing. Just thought I would add that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuji Team 001.jpg (59.1 KB, 398 views)
Fuji Team 002.jpg (51.9 KB, 353 views)
Fuji Team 003.jpg (56.5 KB, 335 views)
Fuji Team 004.jpg (53.9 KB, 318 views)
Old 07-07-07, 11:48 PM
mstrpete
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
OMG I can't believe my POS laptop just ate my post! I was going to say that Bill from Kansas sent me a spec sheet, based on the s/n, which shows a Suntour "Mighty 6" 14-30 cog as OEM spec. Plus there's a decal above the shifters of a chain link with a "12" in it. So, that's what I'm going on.
Old 07-18-07, 11:31 PM
John Z
Northern Minnesota

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Crosstown, 1984 Raleigh Racing USA Competition, 197? Fuji Cambridge III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 1977 S10-S i just picked up also has the little "12" decal above the shifters. I did not know what that referred to since it is a 10 speed, and i really doubt that anyone has changed it.
Old 07-19-07, 12:51 AM
BlankCrows
Avenir Equipped

Bikes: Chesini X-Uno, etc.....

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This page has a Fuji catalog. Not sure what year it is, but probably mid to late 1980's.
Old 07-19-07, 09:37 AM
dougb
Put some lights on!

Bikes: 1989 Giordana Scorpius, 1992 Trek 930 Singletrack, 1986 Raleigh Super Course, 1988 Tommaso Cromor, 1984 Sekai 2500 Grandtour, 1980 Trek 412

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlankCrows
This page has a Fuji catalog. Not sure what year it is, but probably mid to late 1980's.
I think it's from 1989, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-19-07, 11:03 AM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a mid 80s Espree and was wondering where it sits in the lineup...
Old 07-19-07, 02:06 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I have 3 Fuji's and have never seen a catalog on-line other than that late 80's one. Even my two Supremes, both dated to 1982 by their components, are different. I would love to find some old literature about them but apparently it's unobtainable.
Old 07-20-07, 11:32 AM
fbagatelleblack
Senior Gumby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The team Fuji was quad butted as far back as 1983. While the name implied a high end model, but most years it was really a mid range model. The tubing was decent, but the a lot of the components were just good, entry level stuff.
As far as I remember, the "Team" was always at or near the top of the Fuji line of race bikes.
Old 07-20-07, 11:35 AM
fbagatelleblack
Senior Gumby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
I bought my Fuji Sports 12, my first "real" bike, in the summer of 1980. It had low end Suntour stuff on it, but it was certainly a 12 speed. It replaced the "Sports 10," but I am not sure if 1980 was the first year the low-end model went to 12 speeds. It's likely they had a few higher-end models with 12 speeds in the late 1970s.
Old 07-20-07, 11:46 AM
fbagatelleblack
Senior Gumby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I'm not sure where the Del Rey fits in, but I've recently seen catalogs that the proprietor of my LBS has kept. The order is as you've stated, but at some point in the 80's some of the top models became quad butted framesets.
The quad-butted Valite tubing was a seamed tubeset made for Fuji by Ishiwata. Ishiwata marketed it as EXO-V. It was a manganese-moly steel alloy (similar to R531, if I remember right), and many consider it to be the first "decent" tubeset to come out of Japan at a price sustainable by the mass market.

Here is a link to an old Ishiwata catalog shot showing the tube specs:

https://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/ishiwata/page-02.jpg

Because the tubing was seamed, Ishiwata could (more or less) contour the wall thickness any way they wanted to. They could put it lots of different butts, with nice tapered transitions between the different wall thickness sections to minimize stress risers. Once they tooled up, they could just roll out the steel in sheets with the right thickness profiles, bend the sheet over a mandrel, and weld them together at the seam.

'Course, seamed tubing has its drawbacks relative to seamless tubing, but I've never seen a tube come apart at a seam, even after catastrophic crashes that buckled the top and down tubes. Seamed tubing is a bit heavier, but (I hear) it's a bit stiffer as well.

My Two Cents,
Old 07-20-07, 04:30 PM
Danddd
Boffo Bikin'

Bikes: '04 Litespeed Classic 9sp Dura-ace, '03 Specialized Sequoia(for the gravel trails around DuPage Cty), '75 Fuji Finest (deep navy w/mixed components), '94 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is one of the few Fuji pages I've found from searching in the past.
https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Japan/Fuji.htm
The above page has pic's and a spec sheet from mid 70's

Another has a short history of Fuji from Sheldon Brown
https://sheldonbrown.com/japan.html#fuji

I bought a Fuji Finest in 1976. It was used then and didn't know what year it was or forgot. It had 12 speeds(now 14). It was my only road bike for about 30 years until I picked up a Litespeed Classic last fall.
Old 07-20-07, 08:25 PM
Dural

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bfree
Nice stuff, indeed! I'm still riding my '72 Fuji Finest (white: the "other" color)--double-butted chrome-moly.
Recently, I found a vintage Fuji Roubaix on eBay, and I don't know where it fits in the Fuji hierarchy. It has:
  • mostly 105 components (FD, RD, down-tube indexed shifters, crankset, pedals, headset, side-pulls with SLR aero levers, 1050 hubs, 6-cog 13-24 indexed cassette),
  • Nitto stem and bars
  • Sakae seat post
I suspect it's from the late '80s: it's not listed in the 1986 Fuji catalog; it says "Made in Japan" under the seat-tube Ishiwata label, and about that time Fuji production was shifting to Taiwan. I don't know the time-line of the 105 group or Shimano 6-cog indexing, and since Fuji has changed hands several times, the serial number trail is cold. Can anyone help date this? I've read that "triple-" and "quad-butted" in that era were mostly marketing hype, but the Ishiwata tubing is the real steel deal: very sweet ride!
Sounds like my second-hand 59c Roubaix which has Shimano 105 components dating from june to december 1987, making the bike a likely 1988 model. This is a great bike. Took it out today for a bumpy 38 miles along country streams. My project bike this past winter when I stripped it to the frame then built up with a seven speed Sora STI brifter setup.

The fork crown is internally lugged, which gives the fork a very smooth look. My bike is black with a clear coat, (and a chromed chainstay under the chain). Back in the day this model was one step below their top of the line bike.

The only thing I don't like is that top tube internal cable routing. The brake cable comes out on the side where it hits my leg. Got it held down with a tie-wrap.
Old 07-20-07, 09:59 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
You're one up on me. I don't believe that I've ever seen one with Superbe Pro, though I know they did use Sprint for a year or so in the late 1980s, and there was one year where only the rear derailleur was Superbe.
I just flipped a Fuji S-12 today. It had a 14-30 freewheel, Suntour Superbe Pro RD, and Vx FD. I replaced the derailleurs with Suntour AR. The superbe will go on a Schwinn Prelude that has a Cyclone RD and Accushift downtube levers.
Old 11-24-07, 06:02 PM
matt0ne

Bikes: 90s Gios Compact Pro. 80s Battaglin w/ Dura Ace 7400s. 70s Medici Pro Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this old Fuji, but I don't know what it is. When I got it it had F-Racing Decals all over it. The spec seems older than the mid-seventies/eighties stuff. Any thoughts?
This is it in its fixed mode, but you can still see what's going on.
Old 11-24-07, 06:45 PM
peterbarson
hobby-ist

Bikes: Schwinn WorldSport, Schwinn LeTour, Jamis Crosscountry, Litespeed Saber,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Funny, Fuji is 'resurecting' many of the old model names from 70s and 80s in the latest line-up.
Ukai rims and Sansin hubs were nice. The Fuji Professional came with foam filled Ukai sewup rims and drilled out derailleurs and chainrings and was quite nicely lugged.
Weighed in at 21 lbs in 1975.
Yup, things have changed!
They are also bringing back the BMX names, I have had some reminising oldtimers checking outht enew Quadrange, and PK ripper in my shop window (and catalog)
Old 01-10-08, 12:43 AM
tihara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bfree
  • Nitto stem and bars
  • Sakae seat post
Hi, I just came across this post and I was wondering if you found out anything else about your Fuji. I just bought the same model off a local party who had it listed on Ebay. Seems like a nice bike, but I wonder how hard it will be to find parts for it.
Old 01-10-08, 03:37 AM
dahoss2002

Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tihara
Hi, I just came across this post and I was wondering if you found out anything else about your Fuji. I just bought the same model off a local party who had it listed on Ebay. Seems like a nice bike, but I wonder how hard it will be to find parts for it.
I have a Fuji Roubaix from the late 80's. Very nice bike with shimano 105 components. I modernized my Centurion but I will keep my Fuji stock. I use the Fuji for my daily rides.
Old 01-11-08, 06:54 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I have two Club Fuji's! Identical tubing, paint color, and components. They are a few centimeters different in size, but both in my range. Both are VALite quad butted "1769". Which one should I build? Decisions, decisions......,,,,BD

Old 01-27-08, 11:56 AM
tihara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ukai 700Cx25 rims with bladed spokes

Your Fuji looks like mine except for color, mine is mostly white with a little purple. The bike is in good shape expect for the Ukai front rim. It has a couple of deep cuts in the rim where the brake pads touch. I can't figure out how the cuts were made. Am I going to be able to replace the rim with a new one, or they no longer made?
Old 01-27-08, 01:10 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KLW2
I have a mid 80s Espree and was wondering where it sits in the lineup...
Can't really answer your question, but having one of them, I can say it is a very nice bike. The components on mine were pretty good. But the frame was excellent. One of the few bikes I regret selling.

jim
Old 01-27-08, 04:31 PM
dtipton

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by matt0ne
I have this old Fuji, but I don't know what it is. When I got it it had F-Racing Decals all over it. The spec seems older than the mid-seventies/eighties stuff. Any thoughts?
This is it in its fixed mode, but you can still see what's going on.
Looks liks an early 70's finest to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.