Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can someone ID this Falcon?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 04:59 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts

It’s not a decal I’m used to seeing for Falcon as they typically had bars on either end of the word Falcon. Clearly 70s but that’s as much as I can tell.

Likes For polymorphself:
Old 05-10-20, 05:52 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Looks like a Sugino Maxy crankset and SunTout V rear derailleur with a V-Compe up front. If OEM, this suggests, post boom, circa 1975-1976. The rear dropouts appear to be stamped, so the the tubeset would,at best, be plain gauge Reynolds 531 plain gauge tubes. I'm thinking along the lines of an Olympic 78. Serial number? Seat post diameter?
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-10-20, 06:00 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Here is a BICYCLING! magazine review of the model Olympic 78 from 1975. Your example appears it might be a year or so later...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-10-20, 06:09 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm going to guess the Falcon Super Route. I have a white Falcon with the exact same Falcon decal on the down tube, same wrapover seatstays, same Maxi crank, same Weinmann brakes and same concave rims. The frame would have three main tubes of seamless straight gauge Reynolds 531 tubing. It was their mid level bike and would have cost about $250 in the year 1978. It could have been build between 1973 and 1979. There was also a model "Olympic" with the same frame and similar components around this time as well.

Falcon Super Route

I was watching this bike on ebay years ago and was outbid by someone else. Turned out it was my wife. I still had to pay for it.
Likes For MKahrl:
Old 05-10-20, 08:52 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl
I'm going to guess the Falcon Super Route. I have a white Falcon with the exact same Falcon decal on the down tube, same wrapover seatstays, same Maxi crank, same Weinmann brakes and same concave rims. The frame would have three main tubes of seamless straight gauge Reynolds 531 tubing. It was their mid level bike and would have cost about $250 in the year 1978. It could have been build between 1973 and 1979. There was also a model "Olympic" with the same frame and similar components around this time as well.

Falcon Super Route

I was watching this bike on ebay years ago and was outbid by someone else. Turned out it was my wife. I still had to pay for it.
Haha! That’s the one, cleans up nice! And good story. How was the fender clearance with 27” wheels? The one pictured isn’t mine but I’m considering picking it up for someone else.
Old 05-10-20, 09:20 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The wheels are actually 700c so there was ample room for fenders. I thought a previous owner may have swapped out the wheels as I had never seen concave rims as original equipment and the hubs were Campy where most of the other components were Japanese. But your photo shows the brake blocks all the way down the same as my bike which means it may have 700c rims also.

There was a huge variety of components on Falcon bikes in the 1970's so anything is possible. Bikes didn't always follow the catalogue descriptions. I had one mid-level Falcon that had all Zeus components. Falcon was probably scrambling to source parts to keep up with the bicycle demand of the bike boom of the 1970s.

All of my mid level Falcons seemed to wear out the Titlist rear derailler.