Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-16-20, 03:41 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
[[b]My emphasis]
I don't even understand the bolded part of the quote and why it would have anything to do with drop bars?

Remember the post I responded to? Yeah, that one from you. Warning about drop bars to the extent you were, made it seem like you were saying they were awful and/or dangerous.

Around here, we tour mostly with flat bars etc., not drop bars I.e. the US peopl mostly tour on drop bars), and most bikes you see around do have flat bars - except for vintage and new road bikes, and recently: Gravel bikes, of course. But drop bars have their place. It's a different compromise.
Nah, I just don't like them. And it's hard to find a bike like I want to ride that doesn't have the drop bars. I like gravel bikes because I'm always riding on mixed terrain (asphalt, broken, poorly maintained asphalt, and crushed gravel mostly). Most gravel bikes around here have the drop bars, which I hate.

When I decided I didn't want to ride that bike any more because of the drop bars, I sold it cheap. I'm sure the guy that bought it wouldn't have considered a bike with a flat bar. Cheap worked. I sold it less than 3 hours after I posted it for sale.
Old 11-16-20, 03:42 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kathryn777
When riding alone, I need to drive to rides I enjoy: climbing among Redwoods and creeks, less than 1 car/mile on most sections. Luckily only 20 min drive. I don't enjoy every minute, I find dripping sweat and struggling up hills quite unpleasant, but overall I enjoy the scenery and peace.

I prefer riding with a group to chat with lovely people, I am less picky about the route but expect low cars and natural vistas for 50%.

(I ride so I can eat fried chicken and not gain weight.)
Fried Chicken is always a great motivator!
Old 11-16-20, 03:47 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLizard
Nah, I just don't like them. And it's hard to find a bike like I want to ride that doesn't have the drop bars. I like gravel bikes because I'm always riding on mixed terrain (asphalt, broken, poorly maintained asphalt, and crushed gravel mostly). Most gravel bikes around here have the drop bars, which I hate.

When I decided I didn't want to ride that bike any more because of the drop bars, I sold it cheap. I'm sure the guy that bought it wouldn't have considered a bike with a flat bar. Cheap worked. I sold it less than 3 hours after I posted it for sale.
You can ride other types of bikes on gravel and poor roads. A "Gravel Bike" is a road bike adjusted a little bit to have a more relaxed headtube etc. and the ability to take wider tyres. So it's no wonder you can't find many without drop bars: They are just a more rugged version of a road bike.

Look at other bikes and just choose the tyres correctly, and voila; You will have a bike that can do gravel. It can be a longish MTB, a "trekking" bike, a mixte, or whatever else.

​​​​​​​In other words: It is called a "gravel bike" as opposed to the "road bike" it is derived from. However, those bikes aren't the only ones that can ride perfectly well on gravel. It's for a particular type of gravel riding and for a particular type of rider.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-16-20 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Paragraphs
Old 11-16-20, 04:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
That’s just it, it’s not the central tenet. The vast majority of cyclists ride recreationally. Only a small minority of individuals who choose to pursue racing see suffering as a central tenet of cycling. To the others it’s just an occasional inconvenience of trying to enjoy oneself.
Really enjoy Bob Roll’s description of racing in the mountains during TdF. “Suffering like a dog” and “bone crushing pain” are two of my faves. If Bob ever tours go see him. His stories are absolutely hysterical.

Old 11-16-20, 04:36 PM
layli

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree

Part of it could be a fitment issue. As for you not enjoying being out there, I'm not sure how to respond to that, as I have been cycling most of my life (from 3 years old). Not because of "fitness", but because I enjoy it. Maybe cycling just isn't for you?

But before you give up, go to someone who knows about bike fit (-ment). You probably have at least your saddle too low and too far forward or back, maybe your handlebars are too low/high, too far forward, or whatever. It's difficult to say much of anything without actually seeing you on the bike, and hopefully also to check if something is wrong with the wheel hubs or whatever.

Edit: Elbows hurting can either be because your handlebars are too straight, that they're too wide, that you cycle with straight arms and "locking them". Or all of the above.
I totally agree with the above statement - it sounds like you have a very uncomfortable bike! Cycling should not be torture no matter what kind of bike you are on - I have a race bike, a touring rig and a cyclocross bike and I can easily ride 30 miles on any of them and still finish with a smile on my face. Sounds like you and your bike are not well matched :-( but don’t let that put you off. If your bike is comfortable you will definitely enjoy the scenery because you won’t be thinking about painful body parts!
Old 11-16-20, 07:45 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
The bike does make a difference. I’m a senior and when I restarted riding after more than 50 years I had the same reaction. Wanted to ride but didn’t love the riding. I solved it by getting a Specialized Turbo Levo SL pedal assist ebike. It took at least 20 years off my legs. Riding is so much fun. And I get great exercise. My cardiologist says the bike is my medicine. Blood pressure down, rhythm steady.

The bike cost a lot, but boy was it worth it.
Likes For BEC111:
Old 11-16-20, 08:30 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I ride for fun. If it stops being fun, I'll stop riding. So far it's been 60 years of fun.
Old 11-16-20, 08:31 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BEC111
The bike does make a difference. I’m a senior and when I restarted riding after more than 50 years I had the same reaction. Wanted to ride but didn’t love the riding. I solved it by getting a Specialized Turbo Levo SL pedal assist ebike. It took at least 20 years off my legs. Riding is so much fun. And I get great exercise. My cardiologist says the bike is my medicine. Blood pressure down, rhythm steady.

The bike cost a lot, but boy was it worth it.
Cycling is a tonic for the body and soul. I rode my bike from the train station to the VA less than a week after getting out of the hospital, and after having a heart attack! Cycling (put putting around really,) saved my bacon from said heart attack and the complications that developed.
Old 11-17-20, 06:42 AM
TheLizard

You can ride other types of bikes on gravel and poor roads. A "Gravel Bike" is a road bike adjusted a little bit to have a more relaxed headtube etc. and the ability to take wider tyres. So it's no wonder you can't find many without drop bars: They are just a more rugged version of a road bike.

Look at other bikes and just choose the tyres correctly, and voila; You will have a bike that can do gravel. It can be a longish MTB, a "trekking" bike, a mixte, or whatever else.

​​​​​​​In other words: It is called a "gravel bike" as opposed to the "road bike" it is derived from. However, those bikes aren't the only ones that can ride perfectly well on gravel. It's for a particular type of gravel riding and for a particular type of rider.
I guess I have a weird preference in bikes, at least for commuting and long rides, which is most of my riding. I'm riding a modified MTB now, with, yes, smaller all-terrain tires, modified stem, rack, etc.

What I'd really like to find is a bike with disc brakes, 700c wheels, and a flat bar. I'll find one I like eventually. Might end up buying a new one that I can upgrade components on over time.
Likes For TheLizard:
Old 11-17-20, 06:55 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I guess I have a weird preference in bikes, at least for commuting and long rides, which is most of my riding. I'm riding a modified MTB now, with, yes, smaller all-terrain tires, modified stem, rack, etc.

What I'd really like to find is a bike with disc brakes, 700c wheels, and a flat bar. I'll find one I like eventually. Might end up buying a new one that I can upgrade components on over time.
Hehe, speaking of "weird" choices:
I prefer my cargo bikes, and especially my Omnium cargo. It's great on gravel despite its small front wheel. I think it's great on loose stuff because the length means it is very stable at speed. And even when the front moves a bit, say, after hitting a bump or stone it takes more to make me fall than it would on a shorter bike.
I currently run a 26" Naches Pass 1.8" tyre at the back, and a 20" Billy Bonkers 2.0" tyre on the front. The front will be swapped out to a DTH when they're available again in the width I want.

For handlebars, I have a 0 degree upsweep and 30 degree backsweep riser/flat bar - originally at 800 mm but now cut down to 705mm.
Old 11-17-20, 07:21 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
Also, I should add that I don't think it's a bike fit issue as I have tinkered with the handlebars and seat post and a few other things quite a bit and none it was uncomfortable, but just a constant search for the most comfortable position.
Is the saddle the problem? Would you rather sit in a real seat, or maybe lie down while pedaling? This is not a rhetorical question (see my avatar.)
Old 11-17-20, 08:17 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
We all have things we like and things we don't, I don't enjoy running so I don't do it
Old 11-17-20, 08:27 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Yeah, but hopefully these people understand that they will never get any more fit or faster, just riding with the same exertion level as they would when walking. They won't burn many calories either. To my mind, these people probably ought to be riding ebikes. Or should just stick with walking as an exercise.
I don't ride a bike to get fit, get faster, burn calories or any such thing. I ride a bike because most of the time it's more convenient than driving, I get to see stuff, maybe a little fresh air and de stress.
Old 11-17-20, 08:34 AM
kurtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I adore bicycling, but only because I don't ride for the enjoyment. I ride to do something, to get to work, primarily, also to get groceries or visit. During my commute, in which I used to be a caged animal in a car or train, I've found enjoyment of the details of life between hither and yon, I've gotten my exercise, I've stopped this portion of my environmental destruction of the planet and use of oil. I've found winter is an invigorating season, not a hibernation, that rain and heat can be managed with thought. I've become continuously tangibly engaged in the world. But do I ride for the enjoyment? No, it's a byproduct of the complex interactions. I'll enjoy weekend joy rides sometimes, but they are bit contrived in my world view, as I'm not that fast or visually based, so can't win or be awed easily.
Old 11-17-20, 09:26 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 361 Posts

Did you consider replacing the drop bar with a flat one? If you loved the rest of the bike but not the bars, the bike police won't come and get you for changing it.
There's companies here that provide the same bikes in flat/drop variants.
Old 11-17-20, 09:32 AM
TheLizard

I used to enjoy running, but my knees started to deteriorate and I got so I couldn't run without pain. I'm told it's arthritis. In my hips too.

Then I got into weight lifting and strength training. Did that for a few years, but hurt my back. After the third time doing that (yes, being very careful, working with a trainer, using a weight belt and everything), I had to give up on that as well. Apparently I also suffer from Cervical degenerative disc disease.

I got into kayaking after that, since I live pretty close to the river. That was fun for a while, but I just didn't like being in the water when it's cold, and I found I wasn't going very much because of the time to load-in and load-out and coordinating with other folks if I wanted to put in up river and ride down to another spot.

That was when I got the idea for cycling. Sold my kayak and started looking for a bike. I bought used bikes, tried them out, learned to fix and adjust them, and went through several figuring out what was comfortable. I also found that I REALLY enjoy working on bikes. They are nice little bits of engineering, and you can do a lot of work on a bike without spending tons of money on parts and tools. And I like the whole idea of having transportation that doesn't require a gasoline engine. I commute to work and on trips and sometimes just go riding to ride. I've been to the river a lot more times than I did on the kayak, there are some really nice bike trails there too!

So, yea, I do it for exercise, but also for commuting, entertainment, and general fun. And I've always got a project bike I'm working on.

It did take me quite a while to develop some "biking legs", like months, and I still get that bit of leg strain around miles 2-4, but it goes away after that. Love being out on the bike. I go all over town on it!
Old 11-17-20, 09:34 AM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Penny . Too bad to see what has happened after the Big Bang but maybe..

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
You may Like Pig walking?
Try doing utilitarian chores with the bike for a while. I enjoy riding recumbent. Much more comfortable. I hardly ever ride for "fun". Sounds like you need a better fit on your bicycle.
Old 11-17-20, 09:42 AM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
You may Like Pig walking?
Penny... what's happened to you after the Big Bang? Seriously, recumbent may be for you as it seems you have a fitment problem.
Old 11-17-20, 09:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Sorry, such a bike simply does not exist.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fa...dvanced-1-2021 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-fastroad-sl
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-17-20, 09:47 AM
TheLizard

Originally Posted by Herzlos
Did you consider replacing the drop bar with a flat one? If you loved the rest of the bike but not the bars, the bike police won't come and get you for changing it.
Yes, of course. The problem is, it's not an easy conversion. It's not just the handlebar, you can't use the shifters on the flat bar, so you have to change those out. And most of the time you've got derailleurs that don't work right with flat bar shifters so would also possibly require changing out. It would be great to find a project bike that needed a lot of work anyway and do that conversion, but that's hard to find with a disc brake frame.

I haven't seen anything like that around here. We have a few shops, one that sells Trek and a few others, one that sells Giant, and another that sells Kona and Marin. But I've never seen them offer a model of bike with drop bar / flat bar as variants.

Trek actually does have some models that are close. Most of their hybrids are like that such as the Dual Sport, the FX models and the Verve. I'll probably end up buying one of those at some point and just upgrading components.
Old 11-17-20, 10:05 AM
woodshed

Bikes: Yeti SB95, Specialized Expedition, Schwinn Corvette

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Too bad for all of us who are responding

I feel bad for you. You post as though you are requesting help and assistance in "feeling" better about getting into biking. All of us have happily shared our experiences, shared how we do things to make our riding more enjoyable, offer help to see if we can assist you in adjusting your bike, offering suggestions about riding frequency, ride length, changing up rides to allow for recuperation, etc, but after scrolling through each of your replies, I see that you have no real interest in making your riding experience more enjoyable.

You state that you bought an inexpensive bike, a 3 speed bike (one that most of us would not have purchased). You made your adjustments to fit yourself to the bike with no outside help. You chose a route that you will follow, whether or not it is a good route to build up your stamina, hold your interest, or even be safe on as a novice. When offered advice, which we all thought you were requesting, you reject all the advice immediately, by refuting what we offered as potential ideas.

So I say, endure the pain, endure the route that you don't care for, hope that you don't harm your body by overexerting on a ride that may be too hard to ride each day. Maybe you will get to a point that you might enjoy it, but that will be a mental choice, not necessarily a physical one. But that doesn't seem too likely, as evidenced by your replies. But I wish you well, as biking can be a great lifelong hobby, stress reliever, way to stay in shape. I have enjoyed it for 65+ years.

But don't close this thread. The rest of us are picking up new ideas of how to improve our rides, we are enjoying interacting by offering our own ideas, and enjoying the camaraderie of visiting as a part of the biking community. Great thread!!
Likes For woodshed:
Old 11-17-20, 10:16 AM
TheLizard

Originally Posted by Maelochs
... and a front suspension fork.

Yea, they exist. Never bought a new bike before. It scares me.
Old 11-17-20, 10:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Suspension forks tend to be liabilities on pavement .... or even gravel, unless you ride very rutted fire trails or try mild single-track. Fat tires are much better at absorbing bumps, and don't weigh so much.

Most bikes with front shocks either have cheap forks, or you pay a lot for a little bit of cushion .... pay in weight, lost efficiency, and money.

But they are out there. Every manufacturer makes them.

Nothing wrong with buying a new bike. Just be smart. Take your time, test a lot, make exactly sure what size you need, and what you want to do with the bike. Do all the research on the models you like and the competitors' versions so the salespeople cannot take advantage of you.

Fear is mental. That doesn't mean you can easily think it away, but you can do all the thinking which makes it more manageable.

Best part of a new bike, is free tune-ups (usually for a year, longer if you negotiate) and new parts .... generally everything will work and keep working for many years to come.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-17-20, 10:36 AM
Maelochs

Yes, of course. The problem is, it's not an easy conversion. It's not just the handlebar, you can't use the shifters on the flat bar, so you have to change those out. And most of the time you've got derailleurs that don't work right with flat bar shifters so would also possibly require changing out. It would be great to find a project bike that needed a lot of work anyway and do that conversion, but that's hard to find with a disc brake frame.
One benefit is that flat-bar shifters can be had for not very much money at all, and a lot of them are compatible with road or MTB drivetrains. Depending on what you get, you might need a ew front derailleur, or maybe not. Rear derailleurs, at least Shimano, work well up to nine-speed with road or MTB shifters as far as know (I have an MTB derailleur attached to a Micronew shifter on the vintage Cannondale.)

Also, Microshift and its clones/subsidiaries make a ton of good, inexpensive shifters and derailleurs ....

You seem to want to make this harder than it needs to be. Not the best plan of action ....

Whatever .... this is just bicycling, not performing heart surgery while doing rocket science. You will figure it out.
Old 11-17-20, 10:48 AM
TheLizard

Suspension forks tend to be liabilities on pavement .... or even gravel, unless you ride very rutted fire trails or try mild single-track. Fat tires are much better at absorbing bumps, and don't weigh so much.

Most bikes with front shocks either have cheap forks, or you pay a lot for a little bit of cushion .... pay in weight, lost efficiency, and money.
There's a small single-track on my commute, and several near the river where I ride for entertainment. But importantly, the pavement around here is awful, and the sidewalks are worse. The suspension fork has worked well for me so far. I'm not interested in running fat tires, prefer something around 1.5", with a bit of side traction, is perfect for the routes I'm usually on.

But they are out there. Every manufacturer makes them.

Nothing wrong with buying a new bike. Just be smart. Take your time, test a lot, make exactly sure what size you need, and what you want to do with the bike. Do all the research on the models you like and the competitors' versions so the salespeople cannot take advantage of you.

Fear is mental. That doesn't mean you can easily think it away, but you can do all the thinking which makes it more manageable.

Best part of a new bike, is free tune-ups (usually for a year, longer if you negotiate) and new parts .... generally everything will work and keep working for many years to come.
Yea, no problem taking my time - been doing that for a long time LOL. I keep checking out the Trek Dual Sport and FX models. I like the frame on the FX better, just not sure if it's going to get me through the crappy surfaces I'm on a lot.

Nothing is perfect of course. I'm sure whatever I end up with I'll be tweaking it a lot. Already did that with my current main ride, which is a 2001 Trek 8000. It's a FUN ride. My real fear is I'll buy a new bike, and won't like it as much.
Likes For TheLizard:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.