Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

I finally noticed the effect of a zwift update

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 03-19-21, 11:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts

As a relative newbie, I have wanted them to make it so you could do more than one ride without quitting in order to collect route badges. Well, they finally implemented that. I hate it

The exit dialog has a big, "save" button. I didn't really look for a save and quit button, but now I know that "save" only means "save" and not "save and quit" I will look for it.

I use a PC, so I find updates to be mostly annoying. No choice, have to update before the ride. And there have been times where it wasn't clear they were actually doing an update. I have restarted the game during an update more than once.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-19-21, 07:51 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
As a relative newbie, I have wanted them to make it so you could do more than one ride without quitting in order to collect route badges. Well, they finally implemented that. I hate it

The exit dialog has a big, "save" button. I didn't really look for a save and quit button, but now I know that "save" only means "save" and not "save and quit" I will look for it.

I use a PC, so I find updates to be mostly annoying. No choice, have to update before the ride. And there have been times where it wasn't clear they were actually doing an update. I have restarted the game during an update more than once.
Noticed this yesterday too. Thought I was dreaming. glad they finally figured out how to do it. I only wonder what they broke in the process though. time will tell.
Old 03-20-21, 02:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

They broke the "save and quit" button, there isn't one. I think the save button should be small and off to the side and "save and quit" be where it was.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-20-21, 05:42 PM
spelger

They broke the "save and quit" button, there isn't one. I think the save button should be small and off to the side and "save and quit" be where it was.
Ha! you are right. noticed that today too. funny i didn't notice the otehr day. it wouldn't be zwift if they did not break something fixing something else.
Old 03-20-21, 09:23 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I did a "Save" and the ride never uploaded the screenshots.
Old 03-21-21, 08:38 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Standard procedure for software. Each bug fix creates a minimum of two new bugs.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 03-25-21, 12:01 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I thought it was weird that my Zwift app wasn't closing automatically after hitting "Save". I know realize this is a feature, not a bug.

My Zwift updates automatically while booting, so I don't always notice when an update is happening because I'm usually faffing around with 30 other things getting ready to ride. Where is my HR strap, anyways?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-25-21, 12:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

My hr strap is hanging over my handlebars, like it has been for months now. Probably should change the battery and use it, but connectivity was definitely not improved by going to ANT+

I think this update goes in the category of "be careful what you ask for"

I have had the updater never do anything until I restarted zwift. Just sits there with the splash screen forever. Usually it gets windows to ask permission to change the system right away, which means that it's going to work.
Old 03-25-21, 01:20 PM
spelger

My hr strap is hanging over my handlebars, like it has been for months now. Probably should change the battery and use it, but connectivity was definitely not improved by going to ANT+

I think this update goes in the category of "be careful what you ask for"

I have had the updater never do anything until I restarted zwift. Just sits there with the splash screen forever. Usually it gets windows to ask permission to change the system right away, which means that it's going to work.
That, in my opinion, is one of the problems with zwift. as far as i can tell you do not have a choice and the update comes before you ride. i'd far prefer to update after i ride, not before partly based on time and partly based on "what did they break this time."
Old 03-25-21, 05:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Microsoft used to do that, offer to update when you log off. When zwift does a major update, you'll see people riding around on what appears to be a totally different map. I'm not sure how those people do that, but I have always assumed they didn't update somehow.
Old 03-25-21, 08:21 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
It's standard ops for any multiplayer online game to check and update the client before it attempts to connect to the server. You don't want mismatching clients mingling with each other on the server, otherwise there may be discrepancies depending on the differences between the client version.
Old 04-15-21, 09:22 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Microsoft used to do that, offer to update when you log off. When zwift does a major update, you'll see people riding around on what appears to be a totally different map. I'm not sure how those people do that, but I have always assumed they didn't update somehow.
Apple products (sometimes Android too) usually get the updates later. Sometimes the delay can be as much as a week.