Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Delacing Maillard 700 hubs from Weinmann rims

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 02:39 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts

Couldn't decide if this should go in the appraisals forum or not. I have some Maillard 700 hubs laced to some 27" Weinmann rims. They came off of a Raleigh Competition that got Gugiefied. I never thought anything of them, but I saw a NOS hubset sell recently and I wondered if these were worth delacing and selling.

I'm not really asking for a price, but my question is more whether "once-laced" hubs are what C&V folks are looking for or not. I don't think selling them as wheels would be worth it (I hate shipping wheels, and do people still buy 27"?) and I can't think of a reason to hold onto them unless I wanna lace them to 650b rims someday.

A note on their condition: These looked absolutely unridden. They both still had "Raleigh" branded tubes in the tires!
Old 04-05-21, 03:05 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

there are two generations of the 700

these are the "Mk. I", 1973 launch

in case you have a Paul Bunyan in your circle of acquaintances he may be able to put a set such as this to use -

actual producer was Etablissements Perrin:

-----
Old 04-05-21, 03:34 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Someone else asked a similar question regarding Campy Record hi flange hubs and whether to cut them out or not. If you set the price at or above the price of the hubs and charge shipping, you come out fine on the deal and the buyer can decide what to do. Nice hubs. I have a low flange set on my Peugeot PXN 10. Yes they have a value, even used, to someone building up a French bike for sure.

Delacing is tedious if you plan on backing off the tension slowly so as to save the rim. Cutting the spokes is fast but it will likely damage the rim. Your call.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-05-21 at 03:38 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-05-21, 03:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Whatever you do, remove the freewheel before any delacing. You will hate your self if you do not. I know from painful experience

Old 04-05-21, 03:56 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Whatever you do, remove the freewheel before any delacing. You will hate your self if you do not. I know from painful experience
I've made that mistake before! Luckily I think it was just a Suntour Vx rear hub, but I had to scrap the whole thing once I realized removing the freewheel would be an ordeal without the rim laced up.
Old 04-05-21, 04:20 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I still buy 27" wheel sets.
Old 04-05-21, 05:29 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Yeah I've seen them go for silly money on Evilbay. Like $60-80 for a single high-flange rear hub last time I checked. Of course, that was high summer of 2020, so prices on everything were weird. The one I had, had a bent flange, so I had to trash it
Old 04-05-21, 06:19 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Put them on CL for what you'd hope to get for the hubs on eBay. I just sold some 27" Mavic rims on Mavic hubs to a guy who needed them for his Motobecane.
Old 04-05-21, 08:22 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
There is definitely "added value" with those new-condition rims laced up.

Just today I found myself looking around for a nice 27" wheelset for my Bob Jackson project.

There will always be people looking for nicer 27" wheels like these.

I've shipped wheelsets and used a sturdy box from a car radiator delivery which made things go well. I think that BikeFlights even offers low cost shipping for such a parcel that you deliver to one of the big shipping companies like FedEx or UPS.