Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lightweight Reflective Road Race Tires Needed

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 02:13 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

A damaged metal grate under 3" of water tore through both my Conti 4000 II reflective tires yesterday and I had to walk the bike home having only one spare tube on hand (rough morning, indeed!).

I went to my source, Biketiresdirect and NO MORE...

85-90% of my riding is at night and all my bikes are equipped with reflective tires.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance...

Last edited by michaelm101; 04-07-21 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 02:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Subscribing, because I'm interested to hear if such a thing exists anymore. The only reflective ones I know of are commuter tires like the Michelin Protek and Schwalbe Marathon. I have the Marathons on my commuter wheels and they are dead feeling and heavy AF. But they are reliable, so that's the trade off.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-07-21, 03:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Happy hunting
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tires/c/E419/
Old 04-07-21, 03:31 PM
tedder987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Can't suggest anything for the tires, but what I did was to get a bit of reflective tape and stick it to the side of my rims. I used about a 1" by 1/4" piece of 3m prism tape and then I cut 2 pieces of black reflective tape to match the curve of the wheel about 6" long by 1/4".

The combination works better than reflective tires (IMHO) . The black reflective is not super intense but since the pieces are long, you see the full round wheel shape unger a headlight while moving, but the little piece of white/silver reflective is so much more intense you see it as a bright rolling spot which gives a lot more movement to catch the eye. In daylight there is nothing to see because the black blends into the black rim and the white bit is so small.

Then you can get GP-5000's and not worry about the sidewalls.

p.s. I also put the black reflective on most of the black vertical-ish surfaces of my helmet. Don't see anything in daylight but it shows up really well under headlights
Old 04-07-21, 04:14 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by tedder987
Can't suggest anything for the tires, but what I did was to get a bit of reflective tape and stick it to the side of my rims. I used about a 1" by 1/4" piece of 3m prism tape and then I cut 2 pieces of black reflective tape to match the curve of the wheel about 6" long by 1/4".

The combination works better than reflective tires (IMHO) . The black reflective is not super intense but since the pieces are long, you see the full round wheel shape unger a headlight while moving, but the little piece of white/silver reflective is so much more intense you see it as a bright rolling spot which gives a lot more movement to catch the eye. In daylight there is nothing to see because the black blends into the black rim and the white bit is so small.

Then you can get GP-5000's and not worry about the sidewalls.

p.s. I also put the black reflective on most of the black vertical-ish surfaces of my helmet. Don't see anything in daylight but it shows up really well under headlights
This particular bike has rim brakes and anything on the rims will get messed up in short order. Nevertheless, a research study concluded that the human driver becomes more immediately tuned into the image of two round circles (indicating "a bicycle!!!") than any other reflective image, including side lighting. The rolling spot would represent less of this image. Also, with strips of reflective tape, you'd have to be going at speed to convey "two wheeled bicycle!."

There are many instances when I'm riding slower, like in between traffic or in parking lots where the full strip of reflective material continues to create the image of a bike...The reflective GP 4000 was indeed a wonderful tire, but lackluster sales (as usual) most likely caused the discontinuation of the REFLEX version...

Last edited by michaelm101; 04-07-21 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 04:27 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I have a couple of 4000sII reflex left on the shelf but need to install as current tyres are showing canvas. Hoping the 5000 gets the same option.
Old 04-07-21, 04:52 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by znomit
I have a couple of 4000sII reflex left on the shelf but need to install as current tyres are showing canvas. Hoping the 5000 gets the same option.
The GP5000 reflex is not listed on the Conti site:
​​​​​​​
https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...rand-prix-5000
Old 04-13-21, 04:00 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nice tire. Currently the ONLY reflective lightweight/race tire available. I called JAX and they said the are completely sold out (all stores and warehouse) of this tire in 700c x 28. The reason for this? Because I am the one seeking it...Story of my life!
Old 04-13-21, 06:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I had some but threw them away after blowing two of them off the rim on our tandem. Never had a problem with the same model with the usual rubber sidewalls I think that's the reason they quit making them. Put reflectors on your spokes. That's much better anyway because of the motion.
https://www.amazon.com/Salzmann-Refl.../dp/B00DNG8DSY