Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Does it make sense to buy a bike older than 10 years old?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Does it make sense to buy a bike older than 10 years old?

Old 04-13-21, 12:11 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
You've put a thousand miles into mountain biking so far this year? Do tell. I distinctly remember you saying you didn't mountain bike in the winter.

Fwiw, I have been mtbing throughout the winter on a bike made in 1992. 3-4 times a week. This Sunday was the first time I did a road ride in 2021. Crazy but true. I must be a masochist or having too much fun to be aware of how much my bike sucks.
Between my fat bike, mountain bike and road bike I have over a 1,000 miles in since January 1.

True. However, that does not mean that old high quality is not worth owning, which is the premise of the thread.

I look at mountain biking as an activity and the bikes as tools used for that activity. Depending on where one is on the spectrum of trails an old high quality tool is good enough. Sadly, "good enough" gets a bad rap these days in consumer centric discussions where the solution is always "buy a new one".
I don't ever remember you mentioning that you have a newer mountain bike. With that said...It falls under "You don't know what you don't know" And until the day comes that you get something a little more modern...you will never know what you don’t know...which means there will always be gaps in your knowledge.
Old 04-13-21, 01:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'll take that with a grain of salt coming from a guy who in another thread admits he knows nothing about older mtbs.
You mean the thread where he asked what the functional difference was between the 1999 yeti Ht and other high end HTs of the time and nobody could give him a straight answer because nobody else knew either?
Old 04-13-21, 02:06 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Between my fat bike, mountain bike and road bike I have over a 1,000 miles in since January 1.

I don't ever remember you mentioning that you have a newer mountain bike. With that said...It falls under "You don't know what you don't know" And until the day comes that you get something a little more modern...you will never know what you don’t know...which means there will always be gaps in your knowledge.
I've ridden modern mtbs and older mtbs and have fairly balanced view of their value both ways. Not a gap but rather a well rounded perspective. I see where some excel over others and where others do well enough, depending on the circumstance. What I haven't done is throw the baby out with the bathwater and declare a whole generation of bikes to be junk.

In 10 or 20 years the new great bikes you like so much will be also be considered junk to those who think as you do. Sadly, you will never be able to say today's best was "good enough" because that sort of thinking leaves you open to criticism for not appreciating what could be better; always measuring one against the other like it's a contest with only one possible winner.

Did you ever consider, depending on the trails, that a good older bike and a good modern bike could both be ok? I'm curious because that's the position I keep suggesting. Not that one is "better" than the other.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
You mean the thread where he asked what the functional difference was between the 1999 yeti Ht and other high end HTs of the time and nobody could give him a straight answer because nobody else knew either?
Actually it was "what's so good about a Yeti"? and people responded with a lot of feedback. But the question was mostly used as a rhetorical device to again put down older bikes. It's a predictable pattern in almost every older bike thread.
Old 04-14-21, 07:00 AM
prj71

I've ridden modern mtbs and older mtbs and have fairly balanced view of their value both ways. Not a gap but rather a well rounded perspective. I see where some excel over others and where others do well enough, depending on the circumstance. What I haven't done is throw the baby out with the bathwater and declare a whole generation of bikes to be junk.

So these modern bikes you have ridden...Do you have one in your possession now that you ride a couple days a week or were they just parking lot tests or 1/4 mile out and back trail tests on a friends bike? I still feel "you don't know, what you don't know"

In 10 or 20 years the new great bikes you like so much will be also be considered junk to those who think as you do.

That's quite possible, but I think they've dialed things in with geometry pretty darn good right now for the different types of riding...XC, Trail or Downhill. Any changes moving forward for the next few years will be subtle and not like what's happened in the past 10+ years.

https://www.qbp.com/call_up/mountain-bike-evolution

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/mtb/11-mo...ges-of-decade/

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/revolution...sixteen-years/

Sadly, you will never be able to say today's best was "good enough" because that sort of thinking leaves you open to criticism for not appreciating what could be better; always measuring one against the other like it's a contest with only one possible winner.

No not really. Just being pragmatic.

Did you ever consider, depending on the trails, that a good older bike and a good modern bike could both be ok? I'm curious because that's the position I keep suggesting. Not that one is "better" than the other.

There also comes a time when upgrading or spending money on that good older bike no longer becomes worth the hassle due to cost vs. worth, or parts availability etc.

Actually it was "what's so good about a Yeti"? and people responded with a lot of feedback. But the question was mostly used as a rhetorical device to again put down older bikes. It's a predictable pattern in almost every older bike thread.

Actually it was "What sets this Yeti apart from other bikes in that era?"

Other than some well known people associated with the bike, nobody really gave me a good answer about what made the bike itself stand out from similar bikes of the same era.

Last edited by prj71; 04-14-21 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-14-21, 09:06 AM
Happy Feet

Granted.. it was a pretty big parking lot.

The thing is, I don't really care what you "feel".
I come to the mtb sub forum to share my experiences mountain biking. I have ridden newer and older bikes. Currently its an older bike but, as my weekly photos and videos depict, I am out there, riding.

The only thing that really sucks is that one poster, you, feels the need to crap in every thread relating to the type of bike I am currently riding. I get it that you own a new bike and are very happy with it. That's fantastic! I don't recall people crapping in every thread about how modern bikes suck so your experience here is pleasurable I'm sure. IRL, as here, I try to be inclusive and helpful with my hobbies/pastimes/activities.

What would be nice is if you could extend the same courtesy to others having a similar experience on the forum. I have a pretty thick skin and can argue all day (though it now just bores me) but I feel sorry for those newer or less dominant posters who may ride older, used, or inexpensive bikes, come to this sub forum, be met with the endless mantra of "your bike sucks" in every thread about those bikes and eventually leave the forum as being unfriendly. Already, it is so lopside in regards to being a new bike/component review site (of which there are hundreds within easy google reach) that threads about alternatives are few and far between. And.. predictably, when they occur, you are there to chime in with "they suck".

I don't really come here to talk about buying stuff. My hobby is not reading about what's new to buy. I'm not a spendaholic or suffering from constant upgrade-itis. I come here to talk about mountain biking, which I actually do, every week. As a regular rider and contributor it is boring and pedantic to have what I ride constantly put down on a board I am a part of. Some times I push back, sometimes I can't help but wonder why the constant troll? It's not a contest.

I'm tired of it. It's negative and off putting when done constantly in every thread. If it persists I'll talk to the mods about it and make a decision from there.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-14-21 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-14-21, 09:22 AM
prj71

I come to the mtb sub forum to share my experiences mountain biking. I have ridden newer and older bikes.
Funny thing is...I do the same and so have I. The difference is just that you don't like what I post so you always feel the need to comment on it.

The only thing that really sucks is that one poster, you, feels the need to crap in every thread relating to the type of bike I am currently riding.
No need to single me out. Others here have posted similar responses to mine.

What would be nice is if you could extend the same courtesy to others having a similar experience on the forum. I have a pretty thick skin and can argue all day (though it now just bores me) but I feel sorry for those newer or less dominant posters who may ride older, used, or inexpensive bikes, come to this sub forum, be met with the endless mantra of "your bike sucks" in every thread about those bikes and eventually leave the forum as being unfriendly. Already, it is so lopside in regards to being a new bike/component review site (of which there are hundreds within easy google reach) that threads about alternatives are few and far between. And.. predictably, when they occur, you are there to chime in with "they suck".
Where did I say someone's bike sucks? Just because a recommendation is made that someone may want to look at something newer or better doesn't mean it sucks. It means maybe the recommendation is being made because they aren't aware of the better changes in bikes that have occured in the past 10 years. Unless we are talking about department store bikes (saw a mountain bike at Walmart for $98 yesterday) then yes...those suck.
Old 04-14-21, 10:00 AM
Happy Feet

Maybe people don't know new modern bikes are better than older bikes? Really. Is there any more obvious and safe message than that.

Wonder how you would react if I posted into every modern bike thread to say, with a little more skill and strength of course, one could save a bunch of money by buying used and probably ride the same trails one is riding now. How long until that starts to look trollish.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-14-21 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-17-21, 10:05 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts

Actually it was "What sets this Yeti apart from other bikes in that era?"

Other than some well known people associated with the bike, nobody really gave me a good answer about what made the bike itself stand out from similar bikes of the same era.

what makes the bike you sre riding now better than an equivalent bike from YT, Commencal, Santa Cruz, Yeti or Specialized?

nothing? Then just pick your favoritee color and brand, set brake lever free play the suspension sag , and go riding.. soem of the bikes we ride will still be iconic in 20 years , others wont. A lot of a brands success is due to marketing, not engineering

if we posed a similar query to the old Yeti quandry but relate it to road bikes, the line of questioning woukd be preposterous.

hypotherical:
“Road bikes from the mid to late 90’s seem to be outfitted so similarly and the geometry is so identical.
AACan anyone truthfully tell me how and why this bike labelled a DeRosa is labeled and priced so much morew than this Specialized Allez? I mean, come on - you still have to pedal them right?”
Old 04-17-21, 01:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by DMC707
what makes the bike you sre riding now better than an equivalent bike from YT, Commencal, Santa Cruz, Yeti or Specialized?

nothing? Then just pick your favoritee color and brand, set brake lever free play the suspension sag , and go riding.. soem of the bikes we ride will still be iconic in 20 years , others wont. A lot of a brands success is due to marketing, not engineering

if we posed a similar query to the old Yeti quandry but relate it to road bikes, the line of questioning woukd be preposterous.

hypotherical:
“Road bikes from the mid to late 90’s seem to be outfitted so similarly and the geometry is so identical.
AACan anyone truthfully tell me how and why this bike labelled a DeRosa is labeled and priced so much morew than this Specialized Allez? I mean, come on - you still have to pedal them right?”
If you want to continue this discussion from another thread, how about picking it up in the thread that it started?
Old 04-17-21, 01:46 PM
DMC707

If you want to continue this discussion from another thread, how about picking it up in the thread that it started?
go handle your business anywhere you want and talk about whatever you want to
Old 04-17-21, 01:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

go handle your business anywhere you want and talk about whatever you want to
Well I guess it makes sense for you to make your argument here, since it makes little sense in the context of the discussion/thread it is actually referring to.
Old 04-17-21, 03:16 PM
DMC707

Well I guess it makes sense for you to make your argument here, since it makes little sense in the context of the discussion/thread it is actually referring to.
sorry Kap, i may have lost sight of the actual topic. The banter between a couple of other guys’ on here seems to overflow into different threads

regarding a 10 yo bike, i wouldnt hesitate if it was a hybrid. If it was an mtb, the note about straight vs tapered headtube and wheelsize is valid. Id go for a hardtail 29’er but the straight HT would cause me to pause.

a 10 yo 26” wheeled bike id probably keep exploring my options though.
Old 04-17-21, 03:37 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
sorry Kap, i may have lost sight of the actual topic. The banter between a couple of other guys’ on here seems to overflow into different threads

regarding a 10 yo bike, i wouldnt hesitate if it was a hybrid. If it was an mtb, the note about straight vs tapered headtube and wheelsize is valid. Id go for a hardtail 29’er but the straight HT would cause me to pause.

a 10 yo 26” wheeled bike id probably keep exploring my options though.
Not a lot has changed on hybrids that would make a lot of difference to a beginner. A few years ago I gifted my late 90s era Bianchi hybrid to my cousin. He was riding a girl's bike that was too small for him and the Bianchi was sitting in my garage. I told him it was cleaned up and tuned a few years earlier when son rode it briefly, so everything is pretty much ready to ride. He asked what would be the difference between that and a new hybrid. I said on a $500 hybrid, nothing. But if he wanted to spend more like $750, maybe disc brakes, 8 or 9 speed shifters instead of 7. And maybe a newer bike would be 1 or 2 lbs lighter.
Old 04-18-21, 12:23 AM
Happy Feet

I'd also say, for a lot of people who post here looking for a mountain bike but in reality just want to ride some simple trails with the grandkids etc... a 10 year old mtb will do just fine. Not everyone and every situation requires a new bike.

I can't recall anyone saying to someone who had the budget or the desire to buy a new bike that they should buy an old used one instead.

What does happens here though is people take their unique situation and their specific choice and extrapolate it onto another persons reality as if one size fits all. In a perfect world proly most everyone would ride brand new top o' the line quality bikes. Suggesting that - as if it's news to the world - is stating the obvious IMO. But the world isn't perfect, people have differing priorities, and not everyone is going to buy a new bike for every occasion.

I've been biking for 50 years. I ride road, gravel, FG, SS, touring, fat and mtb bikes. Imagine if I felt it necessary to buy new expensive bikes for each genre I wanted to pursue. Now add multiple hobbies like scuba diving, kayaking, salt water aquariums, photography... Of course one wants better but good enough sometimes is good enough when you have a wife, three kids and a mortgage. I assume some, not all, have similar compromises to make so I am sensitive to budgets and needs.

One can have all the cool tools and look the part but that isn't really mountain biking. Its just the gentrification of it. Mountain biking at its core is the spirit of getting out and riding off road. Resilience.. adventure. Depending on the terrain "new" need not be a barrier.

A couple of videos from the weekend, so far, on an older bike. Hope others are getting out and riding theirs (regardless of age) too.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-18-21 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 10:39 AM
prj71

Since you asked...

Patented Living Link suspension. It's the real deal. Bike climbs like a hard tail.

https://spotbikes.com/pages/living-link

Old 04-19-21, 10:42 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by ccollins3890
I am in the market for a used bike. I was wondering what your thoughts are on buying a well maintained 10+ year old bike versus buying a relatively new used bike? Here is an example of a bike I am looking at, although I wouldn't buy it for the asking price. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...Anull%7D%22%7D
Old 04-24-21, 10:58 PM
DMC707

Since you asked...

Patented Living Link suspension. It's the real deal. Bike climbs like a hard tail.
offthe topic and as an aside
i knew i recognized this bike brand. Their headquarters shares extreme close proximity to the Yeti HQ in Golden CO. Same industrial park. Those guys likely go on the same lunch rides together