Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much air goes from the tire to the pump when you plug it on the valve?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How much air goes from the tire to the pump when you plug it on the valve?

Old 04-19-21, 11:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22505 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Wrong. As someone else ( DaveSSS ) posted earlier as soon as you stop pumping the pressure in the tube forces the valve closed. You don't lose any pressure from a presta valve when removing the pump head. The air you hear is coming from the pump, not the tube. It's no 'theory'...the pump head doesn't depress the valve, air pressure from the pump does. You continue to get a pressure reading when you stop pumping because there is still positive pressure in the pump/hose. Oddly enough it's the same as what the pressure is in the tube.
One confounding issue is that SOME pumps do NOT depress the valve when you put the chuck on. These are the ones you are probably referring to.

However, SOME OTHER pumps DO INDEED depress the valve when you put the chuck on. This is the type the OP has.

Last edited by datlas; 04-19-21 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 11:10 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Here is a pump with an integrated bleed valve on the pump head.
Blackburn Core Pro Floor Pump | The Colorado Cyclist
Old 04-19-21, 11:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by big john
Here is a pump with an integrated bleed valve on the pump head.
Blackburn Core Pro Floor Pump | The Colorado Cyclist
I wonder how much pressure the tire loses when you put the pump on?
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-19-21, 11:18 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I've never seen one that does depress the valve when the head is put on, but I guess that doesn't mean they couldn't exist. But...they still wouldn't release any meaningful amount of air when removed because as soon as you stop putting pressure on the valve it closes...instantaneously.
Old 04-19-21, 11:24 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
I've never seen one that does depress the valve when the head is put on, but I guess that doesn't mean they couldn't exist. But...they still wouldn't release any meaningful amount of air when removed because as soon as you stop putting pressure on the valve it closes...instantaneously.
I have a Silca Tattico mini pump. If I push the head on too far, something stops the valve from closing. I don't know if it's something depressing the lock nut or the rubber gasket grabs the side of the lock nut and holds the valve open, but the valve definitely doesn't close. Because the gasket holds the valve stem so tightly, a lot of air can escape before I can pull the pump off. But that's all user error. If I don't push the head on too far, everything is fine.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 04-19-21, 11:24 AM
big john

I don't recall using one that didn't, if you push it on far enough.

Of course it wouldn't lose air if you got it straight off. I was talking about the times when you have a little trouble pulling it off cleanly.

And I don't say "brifters" either.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-19-21, 11:31 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Here's one that I have, (Pro Team Digital)
Old 04-19-21, 11:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I was just wondering since when people started to give their two cents instead of trying to answer the damn question.
We haven't even gotten to the point of the thread where we blame you for it being possible to lose air in the first place. Give us a few more pages.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-19-21, 12:02 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
So you're saying you get no reading on the gauge when you first install the pump head? I have two floor pumps with different heads and they both show pressure before pumping.
Sometimes when trying to remove the pump head after inflating the tire if it's in an awkward position and I twist it around air will escape from the tire. Sure, if it is removed straight off the only air released is from the hose but if you fumble around with it the tire will lose air.
Yes, that's what we're saying. Silca heads never press the top nut down. Any head that does that defeats the whole purpose of using presta valve stems. I recently bought a hirame pump head. Pricey, but really nice. It's got an easy to push lever to clamp it to the stem. The collar adjusts to difference stem diameter. Some valve stems for tubeless have a no-thread small diameter right at the top.

https://www.amazon.com/KUWAHARA-HIRA...31473976&psc=1
Old 04-19-21, 12:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Yes, that's what we're saying. Silca heads never press the top nut down. Any head that does that defeats the whole purpose of using presta valve stems. I recently bought a hirame pump head. Pricey, but really nice. It's got an easy to push lever to clamp it to the stem. The collar adjusts to difference stem diameter. Some valve stems for tubeless have a no-thread small diameter right at the top.

Not to further derail the thread, but +1 for the Hirame pump head. It's the best, Jerry. THE BEST!!
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-19-21, 12:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Wrong.
Incorrect.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-19-21, 12:12 PM
WhyFi

Any head that does that defeats the whole purpose of using presta valve stems.
"No true Scotsman Presta pump," eh?
Old 04-19-21, 12:16 PM
big john

From Road Bike Rider:"Most production pumps come with proprietary chucks and while there are almost endless designs, the majority work similarly. You press them onto valves before locking them in place with the built-in lever.

Because the Presta valve is open when you do this, pressing the pump head on usually pushes the valve tip down opening the valve and releasing some air. If a person is fumble fingered when putting on this type of chuck, they can lose a lot or almost all the air in the tire meaning more pumping is required. If you were trying to only top of the tire before a ride this can be annoying."

This is what is familiar to me. The last pump head I wore out would lose all the air before I could inflate a tire, it was leaking so bad. Obviously it was holding the valve open. I admit to not having a Silca pump head in my arsenal.
Old 04-19-21, 02:17 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
We haven't even gotten to the point of the thread where we blame you for it being possible to lose air in the first place. Give us a few more pages.
I can't wait to get my arse roasted.

I have the Giant Control Tower Boost (not a cheap one at all) and it does it. As soon as I plug the head, I can hear the nice sound of air inside the tire pressurizing the pump's hose and the needle rising up like the sun every morning! It's like music to my ears.
Old 04-19-21, 02:57 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by eduskator
I have the Giant Control Tower Boost (not a cheap one at all) and it does it. As soon as I plug the head, I can hear the nice sound of air inside the tire pressurizing the pump's hose and the needle rising up like the sun every morning! It's like music to my ears.
Does yours have a universal head on it that'll service Presta and Schrader through the same nozzle? My pump does and it exhibits the same behavior; I'm thinking that it might be common or even necessary for that type of head.
Old 04-19-21, 03:28 PM
DaveSSS 

I also have a couple of old brass silca heads with no lever. They have a thick rubber bushing with a hole size that is controlled by a threaded collar. As the hole gets larger, tighten the collar some more. Only friction holds it in place.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...-presta-chucks
Old 04-19-21, 04:14 PM
jrobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
The forum can now be shut down. Every conceivable question has now been asked.
Old 04-19-21, 04:27 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Does yours have a universal head on it that'll service Presta and Schrader through the same nozzle? My pump does and it exhibits the same behavior; I'm thinking that it might be common or even necessary for that type of head.
Yes! It's called ''Autohead'' if I recall correctly.

It's an interesting theory.
Old 04-19-21, 05:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Agree.
Old 04-19-21, 05:24 PM
DaveSSS 

I think it's hilarious that so many people don't understand the specific purpose of a presta valve. It was invented long ago and pump manufacturers have decided to negate the design with stupid pump heads. I have one silca head that has a thread-on Schrader connection at the top, so both can be used.
Old 04-19-21, 05:31 PM
WhyFi

I think it's hilarious that so many people don't understand the specific purpose of a presta valve. It was invented long ago and pump manufacturers have decided to negate the design with stupid pump heads. I have one silca head that has a thread-on Schrader connection at the top, so both can be used.
I think it's hilarious that you think that people don't understand it and that you think that this type of pump head negates the purpose of the valve; it still snaps shuts with negligible air loss unless you really fumble**** the head removal. Meanwhile, I can pump up the tires on both my bike and my kids' and wife's bikes with no fuss.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-19-21, 05:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
The forum can now be shut down. Every conceivable question has now been asked.
Whatever, stupid people are really creative. Watch this:

I want to recreate that Rapha commercial, is it more important for a floor pump to be light weight or aero?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-19-21, 05:38 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Whatever, stupid people are really creative. Watch this:

I want to recreate that Rapha commercial, is it more important for a floor pump to be light weight or aero?
No, no, no - it's the bidon that needs to be both light *and* aero for the flippy twirl.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-19-21, 06:13 PM
DaveSSS 

Ask the manufacturer of your deep profile carbon rims if it's OK to drill out their rims for a Schrader valve.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 04-19-21, 06:34 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
A presta pump that mechanically depresses the valve is an abomination.

But the answer is clearly 42psi for a high pressure tire, 4.2psi for a low pressure tire, and 0.42bar for the civilized world.
Likes For downtube42:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.