Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacing damaged rim

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Replacing damaged rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 11:46 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Replacing damaged rim

Hey guys -

So my Mavic Krysium Elites recently bit the dust - the hub won't freewheel anymore. I tried re-lubing as per directions but it is super sticky. I told this to my friend and he gave me a set of Williams WS19 wheels which are freaking awesome. Unfortunately the front was damaged in a crash - severely bent rim - so I'm only running the rear with the Mavic front. Would it be possible to take the hub & spokes (assuming no damage on the spokes, still need to check) and swap out the rim? Is there a specific measurement I need for the rim beyond 700c and the hole count? Would something like this work? IRD Rim

I have truing / wheel building tools, I'm just more concerned about the compatibility. I can't seem to find any original Williams rims that would work for this.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-21, 12:18 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Maybe.

It depends on the number of spokes, hub spacing and rim size. The hub spacing and rim will determine the correct spoke length.
Old 04-19-21, 01:07 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Maybe.

It depends on the number of spokes, hub spacing and rim size. The hub spacing and rim will determine the correct spoke length.
So what specific measurements would I want from the old hub/spokes to figure out what I need?
Old 04-19-21, 01:48 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Use this: https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 04-20-21, 04:22 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Effective Rim Diameter is the spec you're after, in addition to size and spoke count. But you've gotta take ERDs with a grain of salt; they can often be out by a mm or three.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 04-20-21, 12:57 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Frankly your best best is to simply buy a new set of wheels. To wear a rim out generally means you have put a lot miles on the wheels. I can build wheels and rebuild them but in the end the cheapest and easiest way to get wheels is t buy a new wheelset then I go and touch them up to make sure they are good to go. Lots of choices and I would possibly reuse the hub if it is a good one and build another rear wheel to have as a spare. if the spokes are good it probably won't matter because the rim you want will require new spoke lengths. Pretty hard t match an old rim unless you have the actual rim you want to use to measure. Then it has to be the same size as the old. That is not a recipe for a lot success.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 04-21-21, 08:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Building my own wheels appeals to me in so many ways. But when I add up the costs after searching hours and days for the best deals, I'm still way over what I can easily find an already built wheelset with the same components in one google search.

Spokes add up quick to the cost.
Old 04-21-21, 02:12 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 870 Posts
That IRD rim is crazy narrow. 13.6mm! Holy smokes.

Maybe I've been hanging around the gravel forum too much lately, but I haven't seen rims that narrow in a long time.
Old 04-22-21, 01:47 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti
Hey guys -

So my Mavic Krysium Elites recently bit the dust - the hub won't freewheel anymore. I tried re-lubing as per directions but it is super sticky. I told this to my friend and he gave me a set of Williams WS19 wheels which are freaking awesome. Unfortunately the front was damaged in a crash - severely bent rim - so I'm only running the rear with the Mavic front. Would it be possible to take the hub & spokes (assuming no damage on the spokes, still need to check) and swap out the rim? Is there a specific measurement I need for the rim beyond 700c and the hole count? Would something like this work? IRD Rim

I have truing / wheel building tools, I'm just more concerned about the compatibility. I can't seem to find any original Williams rims that would work for this.

Thanks!
Post a pic of the rear. Figure out a way to measure the inside diameter of the rim, maybe by cutting up a bit of cardboard. How many holes on the front?

There may not be as many rims out there as back in the day before proprietary wheels were a thing (was Campy Shamal the first?), but there's still a lot of rims to choose from. But if the old rim was destroyed in a crash, some of the spokes might have been given a pretty hard time, and possibly even damaged the hub. Check the spokes for uniform length and examine the holes in the flanges. Elbowed or straight pull? Might be a bit hard to notice damage on a straight pull hub...
Old 04-22-21, 02:39 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
So my Mavic Krysium Elites recently bit the dust - the hub won't freewheel anymore. I tried re-lubing as per directions but it is super sticky. I told this to my friend and he gave me a set of Williams WS19 wheels which are freaking awesome. Unfortunately the front was damaged in a crash - severely bent rim - so I'm only running the rear with the Mavic front. Would it be possible to take the hub & spokes (assuming no damage on the spokes, still need to check) and swap out the rim? Is there a specific measurement I need for the rim beyond 700c and the hole count?
I would be happy running two different rims. Keep the spares so you can use them when something else gets damaged. But you may not think like me.

What if you get half way through rebuilding the wheel, and find out something is wrong?
Old 04-23-21, 12:08 PM
speedyspaghetti

Originally Posted by deacon mark
Frankly your best best is to simply buy a new set of wheels. To wear a rim out generally means you have put a lot miles on the wheels. I can build wheels and rebuild them but in the end the cheapest and easiest way to get wheels is t buy a new wheelset then I go and touch them up to make sure they are good to go. Lots of choices and I would possibly reuse the hub if it is a good one and build another rear wheel to have as a spare. if the spokes are good it probably won't matter because the rim you want will require new spoke lengths. Pretty hard t match an old rim unless you have the actual rim you want to use to measure. Then it has to be the same size as the old. That is not a recipe for a lot success.
Ok, makes sense. Yeah the hubs are nice, so maybe just get a new rim and new spokes? Would I need to take any specific measurements of the hub beyond spoke holes to match it correctly to the spokes?
Old 04-23-21, 12:54 PM
deacon mark

Ok, makes sense. Yeah the hubs are nice, so maybe just get a new rim and new spokes? Would I need to take any specific measurements of the hub beyond spoke holes to match it correctly to the spokes?
If you can build wheels then you can answer the question. It appears you cannot as need to know the ERD, hub specs, and then you could order new spokes and rim to build. Trust me much cheaper to buy a new set of wheels. If the hub is great sell it on eBay. if you want to learn to build wheels go at it is a great skill. If not then really it is time and money.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 04-23-21, 01:50 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
You can measure the ERD if the rim of off using two known spokes. I did it recently but cannot find a rim the same side. Mentioned above spoke costs add up so not really worth it.
Old 04-24-21, 10:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
ERD may easily be different if the OP gets another rim that isn't the exact same model as the current rim.

New wheelset is the cheapest way to go. Not off eBay though.
Old 04-24-21, 12:03 PM
deacon mark

Here is the direct thing to do. Go to Velomine.com they are a shop about 65 miles from me. They sell great wheelsets and a great price. They are not the latest, greatest, or even the lightest, but I bought H and Son wheelsets with Shimano Hubs the 105 hubs are fine that is all they offer anymore. These wheels roll nice and are 23mm wide. Since I can build wheels I did do a minor tweak to get them perfect but they work fine out of the box. The part I like the best is Shimano Hubs are completely silent and no bees buzzing I hate that sound now matter how good the hubs are. I have at least 12-13,000 miles on my Ultegra Hubs that they had when I bought the wheels. They have never required any maintenance and as I say just roll well and work. You could spend a ton more money and not be really any better off. In the event they needs some attention they take normal spokes and nipples so easy to manage.32 hole hoops I like because they stand up well without really a penalty and the wheels look great. To me these really are the best AL wheelsets around for value. Some think higher spoke counts are an enemy but really they are friend unless you race at a high level.
Velocity A23 Silver Shimano 105 7000 32 Hole Hubs Wheelset [741911] - $269.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
Old 04-24-21, 02:50 PM
speedyspaghetti

Originally Posted by deacon mark
If you can build wheels then you can answer the question. It appears you cannot as need to know the ERD, hub specs, and then you could order new spokes and rim to build. Trust me much cheaper to buy a new set of wheels. If the hub is great sell it on eBay. if you want to learn to build wheels go at it is a great skill. If not then really it is time and money.
Yeah I have no experience building wheels - I just wanted to learn and I figured this would be a cheaper / fun way to do it since I already have the hub.
Old 04-24-21, 02:52 PM
speedyspaghetti

Originally Posted by Iride01
ERD may easily be different if the OP gets another rim that isn't the exact same model as the current rim.

New wheelset is the cheapest way to go. Not off eBay though.
Yeah I mean I have other wheelsets - I just wanted to use it as an excuse to learn how to build wheels.