Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Where are your hands on the bar when you ride?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 06:19 AM
Stoeger
Retro Grouch member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the drops, on the hoods or on top? There is a reason I'm asking this question so bear with me
Old 03-16-07, 06:23 AM
Turboem1
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly on the hoods. If I need to catch my breathe I will go on the tops and if I am really really tired I go all the way on the bottom of the bar below the drops and it supports all myweight.
Old 03-16-07, 06:25 AM
BILLB58

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of the above, I constantly shift hand positions.....prevents numbness, even with good riding gloves.
Old 03-16-07, 06:59 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'm not sure what "hoods" are but i usually ride with my hands on the bars just below the brakes. if i get tired my hands go to the top of the bars, and if i'm really tired and trying to hoof it up a hill i put my hands on the bottom of the bars. like the above poster i try to switch it up so my hands don't start hurting.
Old 03-16-07, 06:59 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Ridgeback Voyage (for touring and commuting), unknown beach cruiser (for smiling)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually on the corner of my bar-ends, unless I need to be near the brakes.
When my trekking bars arrive, my hands will be all over the place.
Old 03-16-07, 08:17 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my road bike....mostly on the hoods........mtn bike 2 fingers on the brakes and hand flat on the bar!
Old 03-16-07, 09:59 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Hoods, center, drops, it varies according to how I'm riding.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-16-07, 10:42 AM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hoods always felt weird to me, so I usually end up riding the top curves (not the flats). I guess that's sort of like the "bar-ends" position on a "flatbar" bike, but it's pretty comfortable over a long distance. I end up switching to the drops for aerodynamic purposes/downhills/avoiding headwinds, and use the top flats whenever my hands get tired of riding the top curves.

Maybe I need to get re-sized. In any case, I'm still able to reach the brakes in a moment's notice, even during Panic Stops.
Old 03-16-07, 11:03 AM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fat_bike_nut--

I do that, too. Generally, I ride with my hands lying across those curves though, not in the "bar ends" position that most ride. Otherwise, I'm on the hoods with my palm in the crook of the hood or with a pinky on the lever.
Old 03-16-07, 11:47 AM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoods, sometimes the drops if it's windy or I'm going downhill, top of the bar if I'm cracking a bit uphill, and when it's just relaxed I put them on the curves at the sides of the top (just above the hoods, if that helps explain it.)
Old 03-16-07, 11:57 AM
Stoeger
Retro Grouch member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for thre replies, now here's the reason I was asking: last night when I was getting fitted on the bike, everything was based off where I was while on the hoods. Now, on my old bike, I typically ride on the tops or the curves of the tops going down to the hoods. While I'm very comfortable riding on the hoods now, I am more upright & my bar/stem seems rather high. I'll post some pics tonite and you all can critique my bar & stem placement in relation to the seat and the rest of the bike.
Old 03-16-07, 12:27 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Setting you up based on the hoods makes sense - it's as far out in front of you as your hands will get. If you make that position comfortable, odds are all of the bar positions will be reasonably comfortable, which will allow you to make better use of the multiple positions, which in turn promotes hand comfort.

Sounds to me like your shop got it right, or at least pretty close to it.
Old 03-16-07, 01:22 PM
Stoeger
Retro Grouch member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Setting you up based on the hoods makes sense - it's as far out in front of you as your hands will get. If you make that position comfortable, odds are all of the bar positions will be reasonably comfortable, which will allow you to make better use of the multiple positions, which in turn promotes hand comfort.

Sounds to me like your shop got it right, or at least pretty close to it.
Oh yeah, I'm not knocking the LBS, it is a very comfortable fit, just not as "aero" as I have been in the past. The main thing is the stem seems really high and has a high angle up if that makes sense. Like I said, I'll post pics to show you what I mean.
Old 03-16-07, 05:47 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by funrover
On my road bike....mostly on the hoods........mtn bike 2 fingers on the brakes and hand flat on the bar!
Well after my commute today I use the top a lot when cruzing or gentle uphill climbs...... When I want speed(wheather going up hill, flat or starting off) I have my hands on the hoods..... I rarely use the lower..
Old 03-16-07, 06:25 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of time I'm on the hoods, but sometimes I find myself using the corners of the tops with my hands under the bar, kind of an old school comfort position.
Old 03-16-07, 06:55 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Most of time I'm on the hoods, but sometimes I find myself using the corners of the tops with my hands under the bar, kind of an old school comfort position.
DieselDan, I think oopfoo and I were sort of describing the "comfort position" as well in our posts

It really is a comfortable position, all curvy like that.

oopfoo, I guess I didn't describe it right. I tend to hold onto the curvy part too. It's really comfortable on my hands.
Old 03-16-07, 07:47 PM
latteubetcha

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper, Serotta Colorado III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the time on the hoods.
Old 03-16-07, 10:49 PM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean about the comfort position, but I'm generally just kinda flopping across the top of the bars and the hoods. Its a leftover from my racing days, as it was a good way to loosely steady the bars without really grabbing them on shake-n-bake roads. I do that comfort position, too, however. I also have the heel of the palm in the top of the hoods, light holds toward the stem, and lots of no-hands riding.

Wow. I guess I'm saying I switch up a lot.
Old 03-17-07, 05:03 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fat_bike_nut
DieselDan, I think oopfoo and I were sort of describing the "comfort position" as well in our posts

It really is a comfortable position, all curvy like that.

oopfoo, I guess I didn't describe it right. I tend to hold onto the curvy part too. It's really comfortable on my hands.
Thumbs on top of the bars.
Old 03-17-07, 06:08 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been experimenting with bike fit. On one road bike it is very comfortable to be on the drops for most of a ride. On the other one the hoods are a bit more comfortable. I am experimenting to determine exactly why the difference when measurements I take are nearly identical on both bikes.
Old 03-18-07, 05:38 PM
peterbarson
hobby-ist

Bikes: Schwinn WorldSport, Schwinn LeTour, Jamis Crosscountry, Litespeed Saber,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
in the drops mostly, my WorldSport hoods don't lend themselves to comfort.
Old 03-23-07, 09:19 PM
Archinutt
Enthusiast

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Giant OCR-1, and a 1996 Raleigh M60 MTB

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am mostly on the hoods. As a mountian bike crossover I am have two things I am trying to get used to on the griping. The first is learning that I don't need absolute instant access to the breaks at all times. The second is when do you use the drops/lower positions? I am working getting used to the drop position and it is starting to feel more normal.

So when do you use the lower position?
Old 03-23-07, 09:28 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Archinutt
I am mostly on the hoods. As a mountian bike crossover I am have two things I am trying to get used to on the griping. The first is learning that I don't need absolute instant access to the breaks at all times. The second is when do you use the drops/lower positions? I am working getting used to the drop position and it is starting to feel more normal.

I use the drops for speed or power, or when I am riding against a headwind. Alternatively, I also in the drips when I'm going for speed on a downhill. I have the chin near the stem, elbows tucked in tight, knees tucked against the top tube, slid back in the saddle to get as flay and aero as I can. That way I can top 50mph on a downhill.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-23-07, 11:36 PM
fat_bike_nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archinutt
The second is when do you use the drops/lower positions? I am working getting used to the drop position and it is starting to feel more normal.

On most road bikes, people generally use the drops for headwinds, downhills, and when they're feelin' the need for speed. At least, those are the three main times I use drop part. Otherwise, I'm topside (and yes, "topside" includes the brake hoods), and I imagine everyone else is too.

Yep, yep, I can do panic stops from the tops quite easily. It doesn't take much effort or time to slip down and grab the brakes.

On the other hand, on some of the wackier dropped handlebars, like the On-One Midge, you will end up using the drops the majority of the time if you set them up correctly.
Old 03-24-07, 02:02 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the hoods with some moves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.