Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Train/Bike Travel in Argentina?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 12:01 PM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I am planning a trip to Argentina next year. I recently talked to a native who recommended places in the far south (provence of Santa Cruz) and the far north (provence of Jujuy). With about three weeks to work with, I am trying to see if there is a train system that would allow rolling on and off with a bike. The country is so long, I don't want to spend a week just traversing it's length, but flying the length in-country might be cost prohibitive. Anyone that has experience in that country, especially with ground transportation, I would appreciate hearing from you! Thanks.
Old 12-09-17, 12:09 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
This page has 6 links to information about bike touring in Argentina. Some are travelogues. Some are information sites.

Not all of them will be of use to you but it might be a good place to start your research.
Old 12-09-17, 12:30 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 108 Posts
There's this excellent post that you may want to read.
Old 12-09-17, 02:49 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,473 Times in 1,008 Posts
When I was there in 1998 (not bicycling related) there was no train service to speak of. But as mentioned above the bus service was great; large tour busses with comfy seats and lots of luggage room underneath the passenger cab. Airlines were pretty good too, and would be highly recommended for longer distances. We were in Buenos Aires, Mendoza, Cordoba. ITs about a 2.5 hr flight from Buenos Aires to Mendoza, about 1.5 hr to Cordoba; both of those would be really, long tedious bus rides.

Without turning this into a P&R post: The financial conditions have been pretty dramatic over the last two decades, but with new leadership it should be stabilizing now, which will be good for travel planning and budgeting. The country is gorgeous, see as much of it as you can.
Old 12-09-17, 10:44 PM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions and great resources. This looks like it will be a challenge. I am glad to be starting early on a plan.