Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Weight

Old 12-28-17, 03:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
I rode a fix gear as my primary transportation for years. A rack in back until the early '80s when I started using a LowRider rack up front instead. The LowRider was less versatile for unusual large objects, but as a way to carry real weight in smaller packages, it did and does rule.

The fix gear was the real test. Uphill (and I have always lived in places where I had to go uphill on most rmy rides), a fix gear requires that you ride out of the saddle. Being able to rock the bike on steep/hard hills is a real plus. Going uphill on that fix gear with weight means rocking harder. Putting weight on back of the bike means having use the handlebars as levers to control that weight at the end of a stick. (Like trying to stop the swing of a heavy sledge hammer.) But that weight in LowRider panniers has almost no effect on the bike at all beyond making you pedal harder.

Small weights aren't a big deal I don't mind going up my usual hills with up to 10 pounds in a small backpack. But 20 pounds gets quite old, especially if the day is warm. 30 pounds or more in the panniers up front and low? Not a big deal (unless you ask my legs).

If you go LowRider there is one thing you need to be aware of. When loaded, they are very hard on front rims. You will need a bigger front tire with adequate pressure or you will find potholes and the like destroying the rim. Jumping stuff and riding "light" ain't happening. At 155 pounds, I like to use 28c or bigger tire up front and often put a couple more ponds in it than in back.

Fun memory - coming home from a shopping trip with very heavily loaded panniers on the fix gear. Stopped at an light to make a left turn. Got a good pedal pick up, then sprinted/accelerated through the turn, cars behind me, rocking the bike wildly and coming out of the intersection with real speed, all with the heavy panniers. I put on a very good show for the drivers behind. That same acceleration would have been far less fun with that weight anyplace else.

Ben
Old 12-28-17, 03:57 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast
Would it be better to carry weight on yourself or on the bike?
By carrying weight on yourself, do you mean a backpack? If so, carrying it on the bike on a rack
is better. Carrying weight on your back puts more load on your butt, which gets tiresome quickly.
Old 12-28-17, 04:55 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I'd rather have stuff on the bike than on me...if that is the question.
Old 12-28-17, 05:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by pbekkerh
Are you serious??!!

Standing up for 6-7 hours a day, for several months??

And even if it could be done, you'll only have that extra backpack load on your thighs instead!
Well you obviously don't understand what is meant by "riding light". I'm not standing. But my full weight isn't on the saddle either. And I have done this for 6 to 10 hours per day for several weeks. I ride this way whenever I ride.

Hovering over the saddle is so ingrained in the way that I ride that even with nearly 20,000 miles my highest mileage Brooks saddle has no discernible divots in it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-28-17, 05:35 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by northtexasbiker
Is that the reason why it's called a saddle? I just thought it was bike folks trying to be haughty.
A bicycle saddle is just like a saddle for a horse. It is "a supportive structure for a rider". I'm not much of a horseman...gave it up long ago...but even I knew at a very young age that you didn't want to "sit" on a horse saddle...at least not if you wanted to walk the next morning. You hold yourself above the saddle so that it supports you but you can let the horse move under you.

Same applies to a bicycle. Done properly, the bike will move up and down under you as it rolls over the road and you glide over the top of the bumps. Done improperly and the saddle will pound your nether regions black and blue.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-28-17, 06:01 PM
pbekkerh
Likes special bikes

Bikes: Solio 1910, Colnago Sprint 1986, Nehan TT 1989, Bianchi Mercatone Uno 1999, Boreas Aër Roadbike 2003, Canondale six13 2004, Ghost SE7000 MTB 2009, Bike Friday Tikit Hyperfold 2011, PlanetX Excocet II 2014 White Fatbike 2021,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Hovering over the saddle ..........
That's what I call standing

The only way you can lessen the weight on the saddle is by transferring it to the legs, That's called standing.
Old 12-28-17, 06:31 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
The bike is the donkey, ideally.

But the weight should be sprung - if you're carrying fragile goods, and the only thing dampening the rack is a 1.25in tyre, then you're gonna be handling broken goods on arrival...
Old 12-28-17, 06:34 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm going to say it depends on the situation and it's going to be subject to rider preference.

When I was commuting by bike (30-40min), I preferred to have my pack on my back as opposed to on my bike. Reason being is I don't like the way putting the weight on the bike affects the handling, especially as I was navigating traffic in Downtown Dallas on a normal road geometry bike.

That being said, if I was going long distances on rural roads, I'd probably opt for panniers and put that weight on the bike where I'm not putting strain on my arms and back supporting the pack.
Old 12-28-17, 06:53 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
On the bike, unless it's eggs.
Old 12-28-17, 06:53 PM
Fr4nk

Bikes: Trek Verve 3 , Panasonic DX 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pesty
I'm going to say it depends on the situation and it's going to be subject to rider preference.

When I was commuting by bike (30-40min), I preferred to have my pack on my back as opposed to on my bike. Reason being is I don't like the way putting the weight on the bike affects the handling, especially as I was navigating traffic in Downtown Dallas on a normal road geometry bike.

That being said, if I was going long distances on rural roads, I'd probably opt for panniers and put that weight on the bike where I'm not putting strain on my arms and back supporting the pack.
Pretty much same answer I would give...
Old 12-28-17, 07:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
"Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free
Take a load off Fanny, and you put the load right on me"

Old 12-28-17, 07:32 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My weight is a given, so the weight of the bike is what's variable. Which is better/worse? Bike weight is only there when you're riding, then it goes away. So I guess body weight is worse because you can't just leave it in the washroom with your dirty bike clothes.
Old 12-28-17, 08:40 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by pesty

This. I still think like an XC rider, and ride my commute like one. 3 or 4 lbs. on one end of the bike does things I don't like to the handling, especially when it's time to get the wheels off the ground.

Touring or bike-packing is a whole other animal, and the bike carries the load.
Old 12-28-17, 08:53 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Assuming you are asking about gear weight? Definitely on the bike. Extra gear and weight carried on the body fatigues the whole body. Gear on the bike mainly fatigues the legs. At least that's been my experience.
Old 12-29-17, 04:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
This. I still think like an XC rider, and ride my commute like one. 3 or 4 lbs. on one end of the bike does things I don't like to the handling, especially when it's time to get the wheels off the ground.
If you are getting a lot of air during your "commute" .... well, I guess you don't pack a laptop. (I commuted with 30-50 lbs for years no problem ... but I couldn't bunny-hop curbs.)

I think Ironfish's answer, though, is pretty complete:
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Touring or bike-packing is a whole other animal, and the bike carries the load.
If by "load" you mean lunch and a change of clothes .... whatever. Anything much more than that, I definitely recommend packing on the bike and learning to handle the load.
Old 12-29-17, 06:52 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I'm surprised that some of the backpack advocates on the LCF foum haven't posted here.

As for me, I've used a backpack, panniers on a rear rack, on a front rack, and on low riders. I've used a handlebar bag, suspended from the bar, and also on a front rack. I 've also carried weight in a saddlebag and towed a BoB trailer (the best way to haul beer). They all work, depending on the bike and the amount of weight. I like the Carradice style long flap saddle bag and a front bag on a rack for most moderate loads.

I haven't tried a porter rack, but some people prefer them.
I very rarely use a back pack, and then only for short trips with only a little weight.

The OP will find what works best for him.

Last edited by ironwood; 12-29-17 at 06:52 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-29-17, 08:48 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by pbekkerh
That's what I call standing

The only way you can lessen the weight on the saddle is by transferring it to the legs, That's called standing.
Ever been to a function where you had to stand up a lot and you eventually leaned up against something to ease up the weight on your legs? That's similar to what I'm talking about. You aren't "standing" on the pedals. The saddle supports a lot of your weight but the action of pedaling keeps a significant fraction of your weight off the pedals. Yes, it requires a bit more effort from your core muscles and from your legs but, in the end, it's easier on the rider and the bike.

Standing up on the pedals, on the other hand, is a complete lifting of your weight off the saddle. Ideally you shouldn't even be within about a half a meter of the saddle as you pull up towards the handlebars and hammer away at the pedals.

Another way to think about riding light is to think of how you handle a pothole that you can't go around. Most people lift up off the saddle slightly but they may still be in contact with the saddle as they post over the hole.

Old 12-29-17, 09:10 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Here's my real world experience. Last year 2016 (April) I was diagnosed with diabetes. In the process, of figuring what is going on, I had lost 31 lbs. and feeling real weak. Over the prior years I had weighed 180-188, and had not ridden much. Only bike path and avoided the hills like the plague .

When I retired from the USAF, I was at 165, my ideal weight. I club raced in Europe.

Now onto 2017, After spending the last months of 2016, working out my blood sugar control, on the bike, I hit the hills with a vengeance. I turned 70 this past year, and was out climbing guys and gals in my club that were in their upper 50's and 60's. Folks that the club consider good climbers. I took on a ride, up to a local hill town with 1800 ft. of climbing for 5.8 mi. I'm climbing better than I ever have in the last decade. There is nowhere I can't ride in my area. It has opened up a number of rides, that I would have never attempted.

Yes , I lowered my gear inches from 34 to 28, but the lost of 30 lbs. got me up hills. Nothing else on my bikes had changed.

So, "it's not about the bike", so to speak. KB

Here is that climb.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1219549779

Last edited by kcblair; 12-29-17 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-31-17, 10:08 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Two meanings of "Spare Tire" here, LOL...
Old 12-31-17, 11:41 AM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you ignore the comfort issue of carrying a pack, the weight on the wheels is the same if you assume equal distribution. Although, when you stand on the pedals, forces will become different and very complex to account for. Distribution is critical because it will be affect by hysteresis, which is energy lost through the tire/tube material. Once you account for those factors, wind resistance becomes the most important factor. Especially if you are Mr. Ride Fast!
Old 12-31-17, 12:10 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Even when riding off-road on a suspended bike, the rider's arms and legs provide much more suspension than the bicycle's suspension does. Many people (if not most) don't take advantage of this suspension and become unsprung weight in the saddle. That results in a harsher ride. If you ride lighter in the saddle...i.e. allow your legs and arms to take the impacts by hovering over the saddle and handlebars...your ride will improve since you are "springing" most of the mass of the rider/bicycle system.
I've been riding this way most of my life, and have tried to explain it to novices. I suppose that's why I find B17s to be perfectly comfortable. Although I'll admit to transforming most of my vintage bikes to uprights in more recent years, with my body weight more focused on the sit bones. As a result, I have switched four of mine to B67's for the springs.

With every new build, I proclaim (to myself) that I'm not going to load it down with a rear rack/panniers/U-lock/etc. Yesterday, after a trip to the post office with two packages, U-lock, and cable in my messenger bag, I came home and mounted a rear rack on my latest build. Soooo much better. It seems to be a lesson I have to learn every time.
Old 12-31-17, 12:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It depends.

This.. you getting off the bike a lot , and traveling short distances, between those many stops?
Old 12-31-17, 04:19 PM
1voyager2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having read only the OP and skipping over all the responses:

Carrying weight on the bicycle rather than on your body would be more efficient, center of gravity would be lower, you would not be expending energy to move the weight around as your body moved as you pedaled, steered and other movements. Not sure if I've got the correct terminology, but the "moment of inertia" for side to side movement of the weight would be less on the bike as opposed to it being on yourself, less leverage on then road contact and side to side movement.
Or, so it seems to me.
Old 12-31-17, 07:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Road riding and commuting: on the bike

Mountain biking: on my back (most of it, at least).

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-31-17 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 09:50 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Can anyone explain how a rock-hard seat can be so widely acclaimed..? How soft can a thick, tensioned leather structure be?

I've had some slimline seats and they're no good for me, i don't carry body weight and i don't even have any, but i sit quite upright. I generally aim to have my seat at the same height as the handlebars (or vice versa).

I currently have a Dawes classic style riveted thing on my '96 Merlin, which is a reasonably well padded take on the San Marco Regal. This really is as hard as i can bear.

I've tried all manner of stuff, from gels to foam, and my best seat is actually a foam thing that was probably fitted as standard to my '70s Hercules shopper. It probably put the hole in the ozone layer too, but it was worth it, it's lovely - the only reason i don't use it on my e-bike is because of it's plastic flat-rail fitting, and won't go on my round-rail Velo Orange seat post. Unless i fabricate a custom chassis for it.

So, i look at the Brooks leather saddles, and i just don't get it. Yes i get that they mould to shape, and there's little in the world more comfortable to sit on than a moulded-top stool.
But i don't move much on a stool. My cranks are mostly 170mm. That's well over a foot of vertical knee movement, and that means there's a lot going on with regard to my arse bones.
I just don't see how a saddle can mould to that.

Experiences with saddles such as the Brooks B-series would be welcome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.