Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Smart Phone vs Bike Computer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-16, 04:43 PM
billmc40

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 55 Posts

I just bought a used 2011 Trek 2.1 off craigslist. I need to get a bike computer for it. Since I have a polar heart rate wate watch with speed and cadence ( ordered new seniors) I really didn't want to spend allot. Talking to younger guys at the LBS are recommending good mounts for a smart phone. I have an iPhone 6s. I really just want this for speed, trip and over all distance. Of course a clock. The polar is just to hard to see. I do like the info it gives me on the computer. Any advice?
BillMc
Old 05-27-16, 04:52 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Get one of these for your iPhone. I have one on both of my bikes.
I'm not a data geek so use the Cyclemeter app to track everything. Its free at the App store.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-27-16, 04:57 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
A phone is ok for shorter rides, and you can get all the sensors you might want to work with it. I used mine that way for a while and it was fine, but the need to carry a battery backup on longer rides was what convinced me to switch to a garmin.
Old 05-27-16, 05:32 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
Battery life of a smart phone is a huge issue, as is screen visibility, which can a problem in direct sunlight as the phones aren't really designed for this.

Then there's the question as to how much do you rely on your expensive smart phone for everything else during the day and do you want it hanging on the mount during a ride with the battery going to 10%. Road I could maybe see, but no way I'd do that on a my. bike ride.

I much prefer the dedicated GPS option, but cheaper is to get a basic bike computer to tell you the immediate stuff - speed, distance, avg. etc... Then get the devices and apps to sync to the phone that's safer in a baggie in your back pocket.
Old 05-27-16, 05:44 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
A phone is ok for shorter rides, and you can get all the sensors you might want to work with it. I used mine that way for a while and it was fine, but the need to carry a battery backup on longer rides was what convinced me to switch to a garmin.
My iPhone 5c on a 2 1/2 year old battery uses about 10% battery life per hour. That's having an RFLKT, a HRM and a speed/cadence sensor connected to it via BTLE. The RFLKT, cycling app and sensors cost me less money than any Garmin model and does just as much. I have done century rides with that configuration, never charged it during the ride and still had enough battery power left to make several phone calls.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 05-27-16 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 05:58 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with other posters that the battery life is a significant factor in favor of a separate GPS unit. On the other hand, if battery life isn't a factor for your phone, then I tend to prefer the interface and resolution of a smart phone compared to my Garmin. I don't dare use GPS for an extended period without an external battery, but my phone is about five years old and has its original battery.
Old 05-27-16, 08:40 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
I contemplated a lot also. I finally settled on running Strava on my iPhone but I keep the phone in my pocket. I have a Cateye Velo wirelss computer and really like it. It does the basics and has a big read-out.

I don't like the idea of my cell phone being vibrated on my handlebars. That can't be good for it. Killing it in a wreck is not an option. I also can't bring myself to spend a lot of money for a dedicated GPS-enabled bike computer either.

I did look closely at the Garmin Edge 520, Polar v800 and M450 but just couldn't pull the trigger. The iPhone lasts "long enough" if I leave with a fairly decent charge. Two hour ride on 50% no problem.

What really turned me off on the geek route (hypocritically the iPhone IS a geek route) was myriad of options these devices have. Oh, plus I watched a "How to" video on the Garmin 520. Wow, talk about a total turn-off!!

I mean, who has the concentration to work through all those screens on a ride? I certainly don't. I push Start/Stop on Strava and get all the info I need after that. Couldn't be simpler.

Last edited by drlogik; 05-27-16 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 09:27 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use both, I have a wireless Cateye for speed, heart rate, cadence, distance, average etc, for direct info when riding. I use my iPhone on cyclemeter in my bag for recording everything for review later with the screen shut off. Barely uses 15% battery on a 40 mile ride. Plus keeping the phone in the bag keeps it protected from direct sunlight, and God forbid a crash.
Old 05-27-16, 09:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I genuinely believe you can't beat the Bryton Rider 310 for the money. The file uploading is pretty much fully-manual, and it lacks the bells and whistles of more expensive units, but it will pair to any brand of sensor, and can be used straight out of the box-- literally. Put it on the bike and ride. The screens auto-configure.

Oh, and battery life? 36+ hours.
Old 05-27-16, 10:09 PM
16 Tons

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you just need it for speed and distance, just get a basic computer. That's all I use. I don't even bring my smart phone.
Old 05-28-16, 04:33 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Why not just get the handlebar mount for the Polar watch? Universal Bike mount for fitness and sports watches | Polar USA After watching my expensive smart phone bounce down the road, when it fell out of the Ram mount, I'll never use my phone again.
Old 05-28-16, 04:49 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I use the Quad Lock for my iPhone but keep the screen turned off. If it's a long ride, I bring a battery.
Old 05-28-16, 05:02 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billmc40
I really just want this for speed, trip and over all distance
A cheap wired computer will do that just fine.
Old 05-28-16, 05:40 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
You can also put your phone into airplane mode which will save you a bit of battery life. More helpful if you are riding in an area without signal or spotty signal. Mtn biking drains my battery badly because I don't have a signal for half or more of the rides and I'm not even using it to track my ride. I forget to switch it to airplane mode most of the time.
Old 05-28-16, 06:17 AM
John_V 

For those of you that use your phones, as I do, for bike computers, you may want to look into the Wahoo RFLKT or RFLKT+. It eliminates the need for a second computer and allows you to see all your ride stats without having your phones screen turned on. Where you keep your phone when you ride is totally up to you. if the cycling app you are using is compatible with the RFLKT, you can customize each screen to your liking. It costs no more than a decent wireless bike computer. If you have sensors already paired to your phone, the RFLKT will display that information as well, since it's displaying whatever data your cycling app is collecting and sending to the unit.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-28-16, 07:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
For those of you that use your phones, as I do, for bike computers, you may want to look into the Wahoo RFLKT or RFLKT+. It eliminates the need for a second computer and allows you to see all your ride stats without having your phones screen turned on. Where you keep your phone when you ride is totally up to you. if the cycling app you are using is compatible with the RFLKT, you can customize each screen to your liking. It costs no more than a decent wireless bike computer. If you have sensors already paired to your phone, the RFLKT will display that information as well, since it's displaying whatever data your cycling app is collecting and sending to the unit.
+1. To add to this, you can also get Turn-by-Turn directions on the RFLKT if you use the Ride with GPS app.
Old 05-28-16, 07:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
phones start at $50, bike computers are 2/3 less, & dont have a connection fee billed monthly..
Old 05-28-16, 02:19 PM
John_V 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
phones start at $50, bike computers are 2/3 less, & dont have a connection fee billed monthly..
If you don't have a smartphone and don't intend to get one, a wired cycling computer fits pretty much any bill if you aren't interested in all the bells and whistles. However, if you carry a smartphone with you when you ride, it doesn't make sense to have a bike computer, especially a GPS computer, and duplicate the same service at an addition cost. And now that Garmin is requiring a smartphone and their app to pull data from the computer and upload it to Garmin Connect, it even makes less sense.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-28-16, 03:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Frend has wally world cheap Phone & does CC swipe-payments at the weekend crafts fair with it..

I only put a battery in my Bike Computer for Actual bike tours , Myself.
Old 05-28-16, 08:02 PM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I carry my smart phone on rides, but my 4-yr-old wired bike computer gathers all the info i'm most interested in (same as the OP).

It weighs nothing, the battery lasts a long time, it's rain proof and shock resistant. I have a separate GPS that i can turn on if want to record my actual route, but i've not yet found a reason to do so.