Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any ex dirt bike/motocross riders have advice?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any ex dirt bike/motocross riders have advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-16, 12:13 PM
IbeInNC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
It has been decades since I was on a dirt bike or in a motocross race, but I think the only thing from that world that applies is knowing how to hit the ground.

For road bikes, if you're looking at entry-level bikes neither the brand nor level of components should be that big of a factor. That's meaning basic level bikes of course, not the mass produced sporting goods store type which are a step or two lower quality than you'll want. Most entry level bikes have similar components, or even the same, generally around the Shimano Sora or Tiagra level which are more than adequate.
I ended up finding a 2003 Cannondale CAAD7 with a mix of Ultegra and 105 components. I posted earlier with a picture but now the post is gone.
Old 12-11-16, 12:21 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by IbeInNC
I ended up finding a 2003 Cannondale CAAD7 with a mix of Ultegra and 105 components. I posted earlier with a picture but now the post is gone.
That should definitely work for you! Now for the wind in the face part, getting fit enough to get up to speed. It took me more than a year of work to get to that point (closer to several years to be honest), but you're starting 10 years earlier so hopefully it will be quicker. Ride it like you stole it!
Old 12-11-16, 12:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
EDIT---------You ended up buying a nice bike while I was busy pontificating. Bravo!

Okay.

First off, you didn’t you wanted to race, so people who decide that for you ... whatever.

You didn’t say whether you wanted to race, stay fit, get super-fit, have some fun, commute, have an alternative to taking the car when getting groceries ....

I will make a few assumptions. if I am wring, print out a copy of my avatar and burn it. You will feel better.

Okay.

A lto of posters recommend buying a cheap starter bike so that you can find out if you really want to ride, and what kind of riding you really like.

For most beginning riders with no bike mechanic skill I would recommend spending $500-$700 on a road bike, or maybe a tad less if you buy from BikesDirecct or BikeIsland. if you rode MX, you can do basic mechanics, and YouTube has videos on every single aspect of biker maintenance and repair, so ....

You have a much wider range of options.

You could buy a used bike for a couple or a few hundred dollars, just to see what you think about riding. There are a ton of good used bikes out there in some areas ... not in others. You have to be secure in the knowledge that you can tell if a bike is really screwed up or not. As an MXer, things like loose or sticky bearings and scratchy cables hold no mystery to you. if you feel you can tell a good bike from a torn-up bike, used is a good place to start.

Otherwise ... if you are set on road biking and you know it, spend less than a thousand anyway. In a year or two you will know if that is enough bike for you---and unless you want to race, you should be able to get enough bike for that money.

Fit is super important for a road bike. it might be good to go to a few LBSs and try some bikes. Decency dictates that you not go unless you are willing to buy something if it fits and is a good deal—if you know you are just using them to get some frame size ideas, well ... But fit is really important for a road bike. Most people can adjust the fit with different seat-post set-backs and different stems, but that is parts top buy, and on a test-fit basis.

MTB is a blast, but it is a totally different discipline. if you want to ride off-road (and why not?) you will need to spend a bit more for a bike because of the increased complexity. You will want hydraulic discs and decent suspension—at least a fork—and cheap suspension components both don’t work and don’t last.

You can if you have the patience and live in the right area, find a good used MTB for a grand ... but you might have to wait a while or just get really lucky on Craigslist.

I would avoid any lower-end MTBs from BikesDirect or places like that—they are mostly for people who want to ride slowly on smooth trails. If you ride off-road you will probably end up trying to challenge yourself, which means you won’t want to fight the bike, or break it.

Keep in mind a good MTB is Not a good road bike. If you want to do both you really need to buy both—and a rack for the car, unless you live next to a trail head.

First thing to do is to go online and browse the various manufacturers’ wares. See what they are selling and what they are asking. Then when you go to a bike shop you won’t be so dependent on the salesperson, who might be a loser or a genius or a weasel or whatever.

People here will give you Way more advice than you want or need, so after shopping and test-riding, please come back here and gives us more chances to pontificate.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-16, 12:41 PM
IbeInNC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
That should definitely work for you! Now for the wind in the face part, getting fit enough to get up to speed. It took me more than a year of work to get to that point (closer to several years to be honest), but you're starting 10 years earlier so hopefully it will be quicker. Ride it like you stole it!

Getting fit is definitely going to be the biggest hurdle. Took a spin around the neighborhood this morning (roughly 2 miles). As I walked in from my garage, my four year old became concerned about my heavy breathing... My six year old and my wife, well they were in tears laughing....

Nothing like a little motivation!
Old 12-11-16, 01:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by IbeInNC
My six year old and my wife, well they were in tears laughing....
The wife I can understand ... but I think it is outstanding that your six-year-old understands the concept of life insurance. Quite a sharp kid you have there.