Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Icarus spoke magnets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Icarus spoke magnets

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 02:43 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Icarus spoke magnets

Any suggestions on mounting the flat spoke magnets for the bike computer that are widely sold through ebay? I bought an icarus one, seems like there are two very small flat magnets, not sure if I am supposed to have one on each side of the spoke like a clamp, or bond only one using glue, etc.

Advice always helpful thanks!
Old 03-22-13, 03:19 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ebay ad I just looked at said they are buy one, get one free so-- it seems you got two.

Instructions
Icarus Speed Sensor Magnets are safely attached to the blade spoke by applying a small even dab of glue directly onto one side of the magnet or onto the blade spoke first, then joining the magnet and blade spoke together (as photographed).

Tips
1. Using a Sharpie Permanent Marker, mark on the blade spoke the CORRECT Magnet and Speed Sensor alignment prior to bonding the magnet to the blade spoke as to avoid making a mistake.
2. Same instructions and tip apply to disc wheels.*

Recommended Glues
1. JD Weld Epoxy
2. Tubular tire glues (e.g. Vittoria Mastik or Panaracer)
Old 03-22-13, 03:29 PM
robbyville

ahh thanks so much. didn't realize it was 2 for one so thought maybe I needed both. thanks!
Old 03-22-13, 09:06 PM
robbyville

For anyone who is aesthetically bothered by the "garmin sensor erection" these magnets may be the answer. I didn't have the space for the stock spoke magnet along with the sensor in the down position and so had to extend the arm like many do leading to the revolt on the hot or not thread. These magnets are small an fit on the width of my sapim cx-ray spoke. Was able to lower the arm and the magnet is virtually invisible. I also got the one that goes on the pedal spindle for cadence vs. zip tie, etet so far so good for less than 10 bucks!
Old 03-23-13, 11:39 PM
evan938

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for a spoke? maybe i didnt look around enough, but the one that came with my garmin is plenty fine. just need to make sure its tight on the spoke

now, i did buy a 10pk of neodymium (im probably spelling it wrong. its late and i've been drinking) magnets for my cadence sensor. i hated the zip ties on my crank arm. its worked flawlessly for ~500 miles, and the 10pk only cost me like $9. i've got 2 bikes and gave away 3 or so so far. it makes me a good friend and gets me a free drink in trade at the midway point on long rides

i wouldn't want to glue one onto a spoke. whats wrong with your garmin magnet?
Old 03-24-13, 07:36 AM
robbyville

I also have the one for cadence and yes it is great. The issue for some of us is that there is not enough clearance for the garmin spoke magnet to clear the sensor with the arm in the down position (for those that care and don't want the "garmin erection"). This is a tiny flat magnet that is barely noticeable on an aero spoke, it also gave the clearance to lower the arm which was what I was looking for.