Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's the upgrade you regretted the most?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's the upgrade you regretted the most?

Old 11-28-16, 11:02 PM
HazeT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin 820.

Runner up:
Tubeless
Old 11-29-16, 07:45 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about tubeless. Add that to my list.
Old 11-29-16, 08:30 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Upgraded from a trail-a-bike, to an inexpensive tandem, that we happened to get a good deal on.
The tandem was too big and we could never get it to fit right, no matter what we did.
So me and the kid suffered with it for a couple years, until he started riding solo.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-29-16, 09:38 AM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
gel pad anything...saddle, gloves were horrid.

but worst purchase has been aero bars...

put them on, rode three times, took them off.

hated them.
Old 11-29-16, 10:08 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

I thought this would nicely match some Chris Bling on the bike. It almost killed me. For some reason it requires 2 movements to disengage. I have less than 5 miles on these, and now they sit in a box, waiting to claim their next victim.

(I now have some nice blue-blingy Shimano XTR trail pedals, which are vastly superior (as are the normal black version)).
Old 11-29-16, 10:10 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Upgrades I regret the least:

(1) Steel frame
(2) Hydraulic road brakes
(3) Di2

(4) Athena 3X11 groupo for my 1987 Bianchi.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-29-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-29-16, 10:21 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Tool purchase: Park rear derailleur hanger straightener. What was I thinking? I have never had a bent hanger in nearly 35 years of high-end road bike riding. If I ever do get one, I will go to the LBS with it. I will never use this tool.
That's too bad. It is by far the most valuable tool any mechanic can have. Too many people don't realize that their hanger is most likely already tweaked. They assume there has to be a catastrophic event to cause it to "bend". In reality most frames aren't straight to begin with. Putting a new - "straight" hanger on them doesn't help. Brand new bikes with new hangers still are not in plane with the cassette. Especially with carbon.

As a mechanic that does it all the time 70% (backed by rigid scientific studies that are statistically validated....or not) of the time shifting issues are actually hanger related. the other 28% it's cables, housing or chain. 2% is the shifter or derail.

It's literally the first tool I grab when any bike hits the stand. Especially at race venues. The reaction is always "how the hell did it bend?" "Well - did you put it on your car to get it here?"

Old 11-29-16, 10:25 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
That's too bad. It is by far the most valuable tool any mechanic can have. Too many people don't realize that their hanger is most likely already tweaked. They assume there has to be a catastrophic event to cause it to "bend". In reality most frames aren't straight to begin with. Putting a new - "straight" hanger on them doesn't help. Brand new bikes with new hangers still are not in plane with the cassette. Especially with carbon.

As a mechanic that does it all the time 70% (backed by rigid scientific studies that are statistically validated....or not) of the time shifting issues are actually hanger related. the other 28% it's cables, housing or chain. 2% is the shifter or derail.

It's literally the first tool I grab when any bike hits the stand. Especially at race venues. The reaction is always "how the hell did it bend?" "Well - did you put it on your car to get it here?"
Don't get me wrong. That's why I bought it. But the bikes shift fine, or so it seems to me. So the tool just sits there.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-29-16, 10:41 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I bought a light compact double chain ring, closeout price , but I somehow mistook my BCD so it lives in my closet waiting for an appropriate crank. A forlorn hope.
Old 11-29-16, 12:00 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
That's strange. I've used carbon cages for 10 years now, and never had an issue with black scuffs on my bottles. Which cages did this?
Spesh Carbon Ribcage. Odd because normally their stuff is superb.
Old 11-29-16, 01:07 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Whenever I change out a 5 speed freewheel to a 6 speed I feel like I am cheating. Real men ride 5 speeds.
Old 11-29-16, 01:48 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Too soon to say "disc"?

Old 11-29-16, 04:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by HazeT
Garmin 820.
Elaborate?

-Tim-
Old 11-29-16, 04:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Psimet2001

This is very interesting and informative. Thank you for this.

-Tim-
Old 11-29-16, 04:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Probably my Specialized FSR Comp dualie mt. bike. It replaced a ProFlex that weighed 25 lbs.

The Specialized weighs probably 30 'ish. As well it has a low bottom bracket that makes the pedals hit roots and stumps. Really annoying. Then I made the mistake of replacing the wheels, shifters and brakes with a deal from Jenson for beefier wheels, Shimano mt. bike shifters that function like STI - I.E brake levers that move up and down to shift, which I actually like. It's the disc brakes that came with it that sucks. Never ending squealing. Went to metal pads and a few months and noisy again. Take off the rotors and clean all, no go. PITA.

I hardly ride this bike, even though it has nice handling for tight and twisty ST. I end up riding my 25 year old Steel Fuji most of the time as it's 6 or so lbs lighter.
Old 11-29-16, 05:14 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
My opinions.

Regrets (all my own fault):
- Farsports carbon clinchers: terrible in cross winds, lots of broken spokes, unreliable hubs. Waste of $700. I'm sure more expensive carbon wheels would have been better but I don't want to spend $3K on wheels. I've gone back to aluminum C24s and been very happy.
- Continental GP4000sii tires. I know everyone loves these tires, not me. They rode well but got two "throw the tire away" cuts in three months and punctured several times. I went back to heavier training tires and haven't had an issue since.
- Bontrager RXL shoes. $285 and they just don't fit me quite right. I've stuck with them but honestly my old $90 Shimano shoes were more comfortable. I should be more careful trying stuff on in stores as my feet swell when I ride.
- Giro helmets. Bell seems to fit me better. You'd think I'd learn after buying two Giros I didn't like.

Bonus: upgrades I've been very pleased with:
- Cheap Formula 32sp single speed wheels. $60 on sale at Nashbar FOR THE SET (50% off sale). I bought them after I threw a chain into the spokes of the OEM wheels on a cheap steel SS gravel bike (that I love). Weigh a ton (2kg+) but they have run absolutely true for 5k miles over some pretty harsh gravel. Also have surprisingly nice cup and cone hubs and very smooth braking surfaces. Best $60 I've ever spent on bike stuff.
- Pro Vibe 7s stem, seatpost, and round bar. Immaculately made, not very expensive, very lightweight, durable as hell, very stiff, nice looking and the best bar shape I've ever used. It's not often you can buy something Team Sky uses at a reasonable price, they know how to pick gear.
- Specialized Romin Evo saddles. I have three of various grades. My favorite saddle I've ever used.
- Clement X'Plor MSO Tubeless. The best gravel tires I've ever used, just awesome in every way.
Old 11-29-16, 05:23 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
-tubular carbon race wheels that I never bothered to put on because I was too lazy to change out the brake pads
-carbon clincher training wheels that had terrible braking performance
-carbon bikes in general

what's so bad about tubeless?
Old 11-29-16, 06:48 PM
Ball Bearing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for a Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive. Worked well for about 6 months before the internal one-way valve got stuck, then the chuck needed replacing, the wooden handle came out of the socket, the gauge broke and even after changing the chuck a couple of times it is often a race to pump up fast enough to overcome the steady hiss sound of a leaking Presta valve. Sometimes there is no leak!!! I've tried spit and special o-ring grease and screwing on the chuck with fewer turns all with no luck. I have read that the new design is even worse. The pump has never been abused and I do know how to use it.

Oddly enough, my Lezyne Alloy Dirt Floor Drive has been pretty good - although it is used far less, so I expect it to crap-out in a year or two.

This seriously pissed me off and I am awaiting the arrival of a Silca Ultimate. I never thought I'd spend so much on a pump. Funny that, I spend that much on one set of bibs and a jersey and by contrast a pump that costs the same is somehow an extravagance! I think it has more to do with the fact that a cheap pump works and because it is cheap we think sub-par performance is acceptable.
Old 11-29-16, 06:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I tend to be really analytical with upgrades and can't think of much.

Jagwire probably. $70 worth of over engineered frustration for barely perceptible gain.

I upgraded an old Fuji with a set of Bontrager wheels which literally fell apart.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-29-16 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-29-16, 07:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
My opinions.

- Farsports carbon clinchers: terrible in cross winds, lots of broken spokes, unreliable hubs. Waste of $700. I'm sure more expensive carbon wheels would have been better but I don't want to spend $3K on wheels. I've gone back to aluminum C24s and been very happy.
- Continental GP4000sii tires. I know everyone loves these tires, not me. They rode well but got two "throw the tire away" cuts in three months and punctured several times. I went back to heavier training tires and haven't had an issue since.
- Bontrager RXL shoes. $285 and they just don't fit me quite right. I've stuck with them but honestly my old $90 Shimano shoes were more comfortable. I should be more careful trying stuff on in stores as my feet swell when I ride.
- Giro helmets. Bell seems to fit me better. You'd think I'd learn after buying two Giros I didn't like.

- Cheap Formula 32sp single speed wheels. $60 on sale at Nashbar FOR THE SET (50% off sale). I bought them after I threw a chain into the spokes of the OEM wheels on a cheap steel SS gravel bike (that I love). Weigh a ton (2kg+) but they have run absolutely true for 5k miles over some pretty harsh gravel. Also have surprisingly nice cup and cone hubs and very smooth braking surfaces. Best $60 I've ever spent on bike stuff.
- Pro Vibe 7s stem, seatpost, and round bar. Immaculately made, not very expensive, very lightweight, durable as hell, very stiff, nice looking and the best bar shape I've ever used. It's not often you can buy something Team Sky uses at a reasonable price, they know how to pick gear.
- Specialized Romin Evo saddles. I have three of various grades. My favorite saddle I've ever used.
- Clement X'Plor MSO Tubeless. The best gravel tires I've ever used, just awesome in every way.

I'm with you on the Pro Vibe round bars. Super stiff, very round and deep. And the Romin: I hated it for the first 100 miles and then like magic it just disappeared underneath me.
Old 11-29-16, 07:23 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I tend to be really analytical with upgrades and can't think of much.

Jagwire probably. $70 worth of over engineered frustration for barely perceptible gain.

I upgraded an old Fuji with a set of Bontrager wheels which literally fell apart.

-Tim-
Jagwire Road Pro? It is a lot better for half that price.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-29-16, 07:56 PM
95RPM

Bikes: TST, Anvil, Eisentraut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fizik Aliante saddle. Initially pleasing, as it distributes pressure, then unhealthy, as it distributes pressure.
Old 11-29-16, 08:24 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
- Farsports carbon clinchers: terrible in cross winds, lots of broken spokes, unreliable hubs. Waste of $700.

Thanks for posting this. A reminder that sometimes you don't get what you paid for, or get more than you paid for... or something like that.
Old 11-29-16, 09:06 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,992 Times in 1,849 Posts
My opinions.
-
I'm with you on these. I've given up on them completely. I understand when people say that the roll well, but then I also see people saying that they have good flat protection. Not in my experience. I'd say that half of the GP4000s that I ever put on a bike ended in catastrophic flats (usually sidewall failures or cuts) well before their normal service life. I ride 4 seasons or gatorskins now. Maybe they aren't "fast", but they last.
Old 11-29-16, 09:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,992 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Velocity A23 wheelset. Got them based on hype that they would widen the tread on tires, leading to smoother ride. My tires were virtually the same width on A23s as they were on my existing Mavic Open Pros. However, the main problem was that tires were extremely hard to install and remove on the A23s rims, and I was afraid to ride them for fear that I might get a flat and not be able to fix it. I sold the wheelset after riding it only a couple of times.
Hmmmm. Just bought a pair. Maybe I should try to change a tire in my basement before I ride them much more?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.