Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track bike on smart trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 08:06 AM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
To me, it looks like Lemond trainer with track adapter.
It's really hard to find this adapter in US.
However, my friend in Korea said he can find the adapter in Korea.
https://www.bikerumor.com/2015/11/03...compatibility/
I saw Aussie team pursuit racers using for their training and workup
I may have to just find a Kickr Snap....uggg...I sold one 6 months ago, because all I thought I needed was my main Kickr. It would be really cool to have a drive-train trainer for a track bike. I was experimenting with some 1-4K routes this weekend on Rouvy, based on GPS coordinates of the Jerry Baker velodrome in Seattle, WA, and I couldn't get to high enough wattages without spinning out using my rollers or Omnium trainer. So in order to simulate those distances, I'm basically stuck with my road bike or TT on the Kickr. The Snap or like trainer still isn't ideal, because of the delay in creating the target resistance for short distance. The Kickr will change from 0% to 25% grade on a dime.
Old 02-26-18, 08:20 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
If you are willing to do all of this, why not buy a CycleOps spin bike? That's what I have.

You can order it with a fixed rear hub. I've modified mine to take normal stem and handlebars.

EDIT:

The only downside is that it only comes with 170mm cranks. BUT, it uses an ISIS BB. So, if you are really motivated, you can find a ISIS BB road or track crank with the length you desire and put them on.

This is the only all-in, get it exactly how you want it, fixed gear, track training machine that is currently available and modifiable on the market. It's better than Wattbike, IMHO.

I'm not sure why pro track teams are sleeping on it. I'm also not sure why CycleOps isn't marketing itself to the track market like Wattbike does.

Last edited by carleton; 02-26-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 08:47 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
If you are willing to do all of this, why not buy a CycleOps spin bike? That's what I have.

You can order it with a fixed rear hub. I've modified mine to take normal stem and handlebars.

EDIT:

The only downside is that it only comes with 170mm cranks. BUT, it uses an ISIS BB. So, if you are really motivated, you can find a ISIS BB road or track crank with the length you desire and put them on.

This is the only all-in, get it exactly how you want it, fixed gear, track training machine that is currently available and modifiable on the market. It's better than Wattbike, IMHO.

I'm not sure why pro track teams are sleeping on it. I'm also not sure why CycleOps isn't marketing itself to the track market like Wattbike does.
Very interesting. I will look into this.
Old 02-27-18, 12:42 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by krispenhartung
Very interesting. I will look into this.
I don't know how tall you are. But I have a friend of shorter stature that has one and he says that he can't get the bars low enough on his spin bike to replicate his race position.

But, if you are of average or taller height, this shouldn't be an issue. If you live in a major city, you can probably go find one in a shop to sit on and try out. Most (if not all) are now shipped with a freewheel hub. But, fixed is still an option.

They pop up on craigslist all the time. The one I have now I got for maybe $400 in like-new condition with an older power meter that still worked. The guy said he literally rode it twice. It was pristine.

It's a beast. Heavy as hell. I can pour a 2,000W standing start into it and it won't budge, but I can see the stem and handlebars flexing. It's interresting to see how much they can flex when the rest of the bike isn't moving.

The resistance is friction-based using felt pads. So, it's not progressive like fluid. This is good and bad, I guess. Good in that you can setup standing starts or steady resistance for a target cadence. This is ideal for track prep, IMHO. "bad" because it does't feel natural like a fluid trainer replicates wind resistance. BUT, the 50lb flywheel comes in and makes everything awesome. So, you don't get progressive resistance, but you do get momentum...lots of it. Momentum to start and momentum to keep your legs moving like on a real fixed gear bike.

So, if you want to train at ~400W at 100RPM, you can do that. It's difficult to set parameters up like that on a fluid trainer.

There is no perfect trainer. But, this is what I've chosen for what I need from a trainer...I can even put Scattos on it

Last edited by carleton; 02-27-18 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-27-18, 11:46 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts

There is no perfect trainer. But, this is what I've chosen for what I need from a trainer...I can even put Scattos on it
I can see the show now, "Pimp My Spin-Bike"
Old 02-28-18, 12:21 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by taras0000
I can see the show now, "Pimp My Spin-Bike"
You’d be impressed

I installed a paddle shifter in the bar end to regulate resistance.
Old 02-28-18, 12:46 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Micro-adjustable resistance?
Old 02-28-18, 01:27 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by taras0000
Micro-adjustable resistance?
Yup! Friction shifter.
Old 02-28-18, 11:24 AM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

EDIT:

I am seeing a few different models of the spin bike on the web, used. Which one do you have? I local place her has a used one, that was in a gym, a Comp 200 spin bike, but it's $1200. That seems steep, and it's not even equipped with a power meter.
Old 02-28-18, 11:49 AM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You’d be impressed

I installed a paddle shifter in the bar end to regulate resistance.
I'm assuming the cranks are non-standard...you could put a Stages crank meter on it.
Old 02-28-18, 12:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

I am seeing a few different models of the spin bike on the web, used. Which one do you have? I local place her has a used one, that was in a gym, a Comp 200 spin bike, but it's $1200. That seems steep, and it's not even equipped with a power meter.
Mine is really old. The kind that only had bullhorn bars and a cable to adjust tension. Newer models have a tension knob on the top tube. This is preferred to make swapping bars easier between their drop and bullhorn bar system.

I'm assuming the cranks are non-standard...you could put a Stages crank meter on it.
I wouldn't bother to put a power meter crank on it. Just hunt cragslist until you find one with a PM built in to the rear wheel's hub. Most have them, even the really old ones.
Old 02-28-18, 12:35 PM
carleton
Elitist

A few:

https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d...508038557.html
https://allentown.craigslist.org/spo...432408947.html (like mine before I modded it)
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...457130766.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...509659692.html ($300 with power meter!! probably needs batteries (in the hub)) Even with out PM, it's a steal.
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...506138196.html

I could go on.

Google: site:craigslist.org cycleops

Also, maybe post a "Wanted: CycleOps Indoor Spin Bike" ad to your local craigslist and see if you get some responses. As you well know, 95% of these are sitting in garages or spare rooms unused.
Old 02-28-18, 12:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

The models with the resistance knob on the top tube are the latest and easiest to modify. When you have to deal with the cable to the V-brake resistance unit, it gets tricky. Basic bike mechanic skills are all that are needed, though. Except for modding the part where you will weld your new "steerer tube". Basic welding will work. I got Seth Snyder to weld mine for me.
Old 02-28-18, 01:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Right now, CycleOps is offering the basic no-PM model for $700. MSRP is $1,300.

If you are a pedal power meter person, this may be of interest to you.

https://www.cycleops.com/product/phantom-1-indoor-cycle

It says they are out of stock. Maybe you could ask for a "rain check" (a promise for them to honor this price later when stock replenishes) or see if a local shop will match (provided they have one in stock).

Also, you should call and verify that you can still get the fixed hub as an option. I talked with them last May or June and that was the case.
Old 02-28-18, 02:10 PM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Right now, CycleOps is offering the basic no-PM model for $700. MSRP is $1,300.

If you are a pedal power meter person, this may be of interest to you.

https://www.cycleops.com/product/phantom-1-indoor-cycle

It says they are out of stock. Maybe you could ask for a "rain check" (a promise for them to honor this price later when stock replenishes) or see if a local shop will match (provided they have one in stock).

Also, you should call and verify that you can still get the fixed hub as an option. I talked with them last May or June and that was the case.
I saw those. So what are you doing to make the drive chain fixed? Aren't these all free wheeling?
Old 02-28-18, 03:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

I saw those. So what are you doing to make the drive chain fixed? Aren't these all free wheeling?
At one time, all of them were fixed and freewheel is a newer option. Now all are freewheel. Just call their customer/tech support line and find out.

You can either order it with a fixed hub already installed or they can send you one and you install it yourself.

I'm not sure what's involved with the install.

A buddy of mine owns a few spin studios and he orders these bikes to stock the studios. He always orders them with fixed hubs.
Old 02-28-18, 03:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

So, if you buy a used one. If it's newer (past 2-3 years), there is a good chance that it will have a freehub. If it's older, chances are it will be a fixed hub. If it's really old, then it's guaranteed to be a fixed hub.

If it's really old and has seen lots of use, change out the chain and maybe the crank arm + chainring combo (they are forged together). They get "shark-toothed" like any other chainring, even though they are steel. Make sure to buy 2 single speed chains. One might not be long enough.

You can order all of the parts from CycleOps.
Old 03-01-18, 10:05 AM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So, if you buy a used one. If it's newer (past 2-3 years), there is a good chance that it will have a freehub. If it's older, chances are it will be a fixed hub. If it's really old, then it's guaranteed to be a fixed hub.

If it's really old and has seen lots of use, change out the chain and maybe the crank arm + chainring combo (they are forged together). They get "shark-toothed" like any other chainring, even though they are steel. Make sure to buy 2 single speed chains. One might not be long enough.

You can order all of the parts from CycleOps.
Cool. I'm on the search!

It's a shame they just don't make the bars interchangeable as well. This seems like a major marketing oversight. We have road racers, tracker racer, and time trialists, all with different bar requirements. What would be cool is a sort of heavy duty clamp system that could be used to quickly swap out different bars, so that one day I can use drop bars, and in just a few seconds I could swap out aero bars.
Old 03-01-18, 10:56 AM
carleton
Elitist

Cool. I'm on the search!

It's a shame they just don't make the bars interchangeable as well. This seems like a major marketing oversight. We have road racers, tracker racer, and time trialists, all with different bar requirements. What would be cool is a sort of heavy duty clamp system that could be used to quickly swap out different bars, so that one day I can use drop bars, and in just a few seconds I could swap out aero bars.
You can quickly swap out their proprietary drop and bullhorn bars. The spec for the shaft that they slide on has been the same forever I think.

That's one reason they moved resistance modulation to the top tube, so that bars could swap easily.

I asked an engineer why they didn't make a "steerer tube" attachment so people could use any bars they want. He said there wasn't any interest from the community. IMHO, it's easy money for them to make and would differentiate their product. But, oh well. I made my own.
Old 03-16-18, 07:37 PM
alfa111

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track Elite, 1990-something Steel Fuji Fixie conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got the first lemond revolution fixed gear adapter back from the machine shop!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MoZfFkM2wdD3X7iF2
Old 03-16-18, 07:42 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by alfa111
Finally got the first lemond revolution fixed gear adapter back from the machine shop!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MoZfFkM2wdD3X7iF2
woah, that looks great!
Old 03-17-18, 11:27 AM
carleton
Elitist

Very cool! Let us know how it works out.

FWIW, having a sturdy home machine is great. I've done starts late at night twice this week...while watching people play video games on Twitch.
Old 03-17-18, 12:37 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Very cool! Let us know how it works out.

FWIW, having a sturdy home machine is great. I've done starts late at night twice this week...while watching people play video games on Twitch.
Next step... have people watch you do starts on twitch
Old 03-17-18, 01:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Morelock
Next step... have people watch you do starts on twitch
lol I’ve seen worse on Twitch.
Old 03-17-18, 04:25 PM
JimiMimni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Came across this on WasteBook today:

https://www.facebook.com/TrackHackSolutions/

Another(?) Lemond Revo fixie adaptor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.