Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's the upgrade you regretted the most?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's the upgrade you regretted the most?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 10:32 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Carbon fiber bike with drop bars. Never got truly comfortable on it even though it was the correct size and I tried. Maybe shorter/shallower bars would have helped, but I decided to sell to avoid any risk of catastrophic CF failure while riding.

Thankfully, I bought it used at a good price, and so came out even in the end.
Old 11-28-16, 10:45 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Carbon fiber bike with drop bars. Never got truly comfortable on it even though it was the correct size and I tried. Maybe shorter/shallower bars would have helped, but I decided to sell to avoid any risk of catastrophic CF failure while riding.

Thankfully, I bought it used at a good price, and so came out even in the end.
And you are here?
Old 11-28-16, 10:51 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ReneV
"After a long day in the saddle," ...

I'm not going to come off looking good here but I suspect it's all about context: I'm talking brevet territory, including super brevets (600km+>10,000m), >monthly >200kms, 150km+1,000m in <5hrs, regular +2,000m--+4,000m rides, and similar.
I have no idea what these >'s mean. I've seen other people use it too, am I too dumb?
Old 11-28-16, 11:04 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Several Things.

They were flexy. I would have to open the rear caliper completely so they would not rub when climbing. Maybe Powertap lacing issue?

Powertap would go crazy during winter season. Which meant it had to be sent twice to power tap for recalibration.

They do not brake at all, even compared to my other 3 carbon wheel sets they are by far the worst braking surface. Again, not sure if the brake pads that power tap provided were optimal.

All that makes a $3,200 purchase seem like a fairly crappy deal. But then again I may just have been an unlucky customer. I am going to buy another set in the future but directly from Enve with 180 hubs
Interesting. Good to know, thanks.
Old 11-28-16, 11:22 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
I have no idea what these >'s mean. I've seen other people use it too, am I too dumb?
> means greater than
< means less than.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-28-16, 12:51 PM
asiantrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mercury M35
Chinese Carbon

Both are straight TRASH. Stick with Alloy set & 240 hub and I've been happy ever since.
Old 11-28-16, 01:03 PM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SpeedPlay Zero Stainless pedals. It's not that they were bad pedals, but the float was almost useless for me (I only used about 3°) because I'd dial it in so my heels didn't clip the chainstay, and my ankles didn't clip the crank arms. The cleats never broke in, and I'd get locked into my left pedal quite often, with a significant amount of force to unclip... that may have been due to the cleats themselves, or the fact they rusted like hell in only a few months of use. Also, because of the relatively narrow contact points, I'd get a lot of pronate/supinate rocking.

I sold them to a teammate at a pretty good loss, but picked up a set of Ultegra 6800 pedals at such a good discount that it evened out in the end.
Old 11-28-16, 01:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The number of people who regret expensive carbon wheels is more than I would have thought.
Old 11-28-16, 01:30 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xherion
Actually, the Eggbeaters I have are the worst. For the life of me, I can't clip into those things. Zero problem with SPD, SPD-SL, Look, etc.
Interesting because I love riding the candy c pedals on my MTB but I ride the look keos on the roady. I had a lot easier time clipping into the candy c's than anything else and I have also ridden SPD and SPD SL.

I bought a campy bottom bracket after convincing myself that the bearings were shot. Turned out the crank arms just came un-torqued and I never used it. Now I have the newer ultra torque cranks so it won't ever get used. Need to Craigslist it.

Last edited by jitteringjr; 11-28-16 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-28-16, 01:45 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The number of people who regret expensive carbon wheels is more than I would have thought.
Uh, yeah. Especially since I'm about to pull the trigger on my first-ever set of carbon wheels (never even ridden a set!). I don't race, so it's not like I need the aero benefit. Now I'm second-guessing.
Old 11-28-16, 02:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Only 3, and we're on page 3. The first one was because the hub made the wheel too flexy. One or maybe both the others were that the wheels were bought or built for the wrong reason ("keeping up with the Joneses") and not very satisfying to use. One of them was sold at a profit. Anyway, that's less worrying than:

Originally Posted by Worknomore
Going from girlfriend v3.2 to wife v1.0
Old 11-28-16, 02:03 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Expensive carbon cages.

They are loose on the bottle, the bottle wobbles around and get disgustingly filthy black scruffs ground in which won't wash off.
That's strange. I've used carbon cages for 10 years now, and never had an issue with black scuffs on my bottles. Which cages did this?
Old 11-28-16, 02:12 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
Uh, yeah. Especially since I'm about to pull the trigger on my first-ever set of carbon wheels (never even ridden a set!). I don't race, so it's not like I need the aero benefit. Now I'm second-guessing.
Hey, don't pay any attention to me. Everyone knows my views are bizarre.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-28-16, 02:30 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Hey, don't pay any attention to me. Everyone knows my views are bizarre.
Some of it might have to do with the high cost of the wheels, and the very slight performance gain. Yes the aero benefits are real, but the majority of the recreational cyclists cannot feel a great difference. Add to that the noticeable difference in braking performance, and I can understand why some regret the "upgrade".
Old 11-28-16, 02:46 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Velocity A23 wheelset. Got them based on hype that they would widen the tread on tires, leading to smoother ride. My tires were virtually the same width on A23s as they were on my existing Mavic Open Pros. However, the main problem was that tires were extremely hard to install and remove on the A23s rims, and I was afraid to ride them for fear that I might get a flat and not be able to fix it. I sold the wheelset after riding it only a couple of times.
Old 11-28-16, 03:34 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a set of Mavic Ksysirium tubulars slr carbons and they do flex as well but they are sub 1200g wheels so i would expect that with my 170 pound weight. They also brake better than any aluminum wheel ive ridden

I also have a pair of Roval CLX 64 wheels that are very stiff and no issues.

I think Carbon wheels are good, depends on the use and who are they for. I wouldnt recommend any carbon wheel to anybody weighing more than 225lbs because (unless you are 6,5"+) there are other things keeping you from going faster than your wheels.

Last edited by lsberrios1; 11-28-16 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-28-16, 04:05 PM
noodle soup

I've got a set of Mavic Ksysirium tubulars slr carbons and they do flex as well but they are sub 1200g wheels so i would expect that with my 170 pound weight. They also brake better than any aluminum wheel ive ridden

I also have a pair of Roval CLX 64 wheels that are very stiff and no issues.

I think Carbon wheels are good, depends on the use and who are they for. I wouldnt recommend any carbon wheel to anybody weighing more than 225lbs because (unless you are 6,5"+) there are other things keeping you from going faster than your wheels.
it sounds like the Power Tap hub could be the problem, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-28-16, 04:56 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by asiantrick
Mercury M35
Chinese Carbon

Both are straight TRASH. Stick with Alloy set & 240 hub and I've been happy ever since.
The problem is not carbon per se, but trashy carbon. Those M35 are heavy and not aero
Old 11-28-16, 04:58 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
> means greater than
< means less than.
Thank. Did NOT know that, or more precisely, did not know how to use them in an English sentence.
Old 11-28-16, 04:58 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
Going from girlfriend v3.2 to wife v1.0
Wait till they release the kid#1 and kid#2 add-on

Trust me, I know.
Old 11-28-16, 04:59 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stockae92
Wait till they release the kid#1 and kid#2 add-on

Trust me, I know.
That's because you installed the unwanted plug-ins.
Old 11-28-16, 05:02 PM
asiantrick

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
The problem is not carbon per se, but trashy carbon. Those M35 are heavy and not aero
I have to agree with that! You definitely get what you paid for.
Old 11-28-16, 05:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Most people don't buy wheels to go faster, they buy wheels to make their bike look better.
Old 11-28-16, 07:10 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I regret spending money on ceramic bearing jockey wheels.
Got some a few weeks ago and forgot what they cost already, but still love the fact that they're red. Forget the salesman's pitch, too; I got them purely for bling factor. Speaking of bling, I also got some fancy carbon cages a while back, and they've worked flawlessly so far, and on roads as rough as I've ever ridden. But I will agree; plastic Elite cages work just as well at a fraction of the cost, and look as pro as anything on the race bike.
Old 11-28-16, 07:13 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought they will save 1 - 1.5W

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.