Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Old 11-24-18, 12:02 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Just enjoy riding your ebke and don’t pay attention to the naysayers.You purchased it for your benefit of staying fit.
Old 11-25-18, 10:17 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 7up
Just enjoy riding your ebke and don’t pay attention to the naysayers.You purchased it for your benefit of staying fit.
"Cheating who? How much has it cost them? Random people who don't care and random people I dont know of and don't know of me?"

It allows me to exercise and not drive as an individual, not in a competitive group. I ride in a leisure group. They know I'm fat. Im overweight and wish I could ride a standard bike. I can't, uphill. After I bought a Raleigh hybrid, I discovered ebikes. Zounds! I recently rejuvenated the new hybrid sitting rusting and rotting plastic cable covers and changed tires. It is now saleable.

Last edited by lkoyanagi; 12-03-18 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add a query.
Old 11-26-18, 10:38 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
Been cycling all my life, got into it heavily 8 years ago. Live in the Arkansas Ozarks and there are hills everywhere. I can make it OK, but the last few years I seem to be struggling more and more on the hills. I ride as much as I can with work and other duties I have no more time and never seem to get any better. I am not after speed or ultra endurance, I just want to take on hills without it wiping me out. I am getting to the point where I avoid certain wonderful routes because of hills. I have 8 years of GPS data and the average speed is 10 mph - and dropping.

I just ordered an ebike. The shop is next to a hill that on my normal bike I either have to take in 1st gear front and back or stop midway and walk up, followed by another hill I avoid like the plague. On a test ride I climbed right up them both. With my normal bike on a 55 mile ride on Saturday I had to be picked up 4 miles form home due to stress, heat and quad cramps. So, I made the plunge.

Most of the guys are supportive, a few claim I'm 'cheating'. I look at it in that I would probably be sitting at home instead of biking around if it weren't for an ebike. I've also told them that biking 50 mile son an ebike is like biking 35 miles on a regular bike - and most of them never ride THAT far. But the persist and are now avoiding me because I'm a 'cheater'.

Do you just ignore them? What 'arguments' do you use to justify an ebike? I know I should just grow a thicker hide but it bothers me a bit. Any suggestions?
No need to grow a thick hyde or have sensitive feelings. Just practice saying your response. Timing is everything...say it loud and fast as soon as you are triggered. Let everyone hear you as its meant to embarrass.

This response is universal to suit any situation, right or wrong, against any body of any status. You dont even have wait for a reaction, just walk away. Win.
Old 11-26-18, 10:53 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Truth be told, I hear more derision here on bike forums than I ever hear when out riding. Outside of the forums, no one questions whether it is a bicycle or not.

in the town I work in I do see a small number of e-bikes, mostly bits of back-yard engineering. The people who have them ride them for transportation. It really is only here on "just drive a car" forum that I see e-bikes being put down.
Say, "You cheat by having legs. Youre cheating on everyone without legs." "You dont get satisfaction by having a small gun between your legs." "How long have you been unsatisfied?"
Old 11-26-18, 10:51 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I guess I saw a 'cheater' on my last ride... a peloton went by and a big dude was bringing up the rear on one of those huge, knobby-tired upright ebikes. I don't see the point but... whatever.
Old 12-06-18, 08:14 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just chasing down the easy prey
Old 12-06-18, 10:07 PM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Been cycling all my life, got into it heavily 8 years ago. Live in the Arkansas Ozarks and there are hills everywhere. I can make it OK, but the last few years I seem to be struggling more and more on the hills. I ride as much as I can with work and other duties I have no more time and never seem to get any better. I am not after speed or ultra endurance, I just want to take on hills without it wiping me out. I am getting to the point where I avoid certain wonderful routes because of hills. I have 8 years of GPS data and the average speed is 10 mph - and dropping.

I just ordered an ebike. The shop is next to a hill that on my normal bike I either have to take in 1st gear front and back or stop midway and walk up, followed by another hill I avoid like the plague. On a test ride I climbed right up them both. With my normal bike on a 55 mile ride on Saturday I had to be picked up 4 miles form home due to stress, heat and quad cramps. So, I made the plunge.

Most of the guys are supportive, a few claim I'm 'cheating'. I look at it in that I would probably be sitting at home instead of biking around if it weren't for an ebike. I've also told them that biking 50 mile son an ebike is like biking 35 miles on a regular bike - and most of them never ride THAT far. But the persist and are now avoiding me because I'm a 'cheater'.

Do you just ignore them? What 'arguments' do you use to justify an ebike? I know I should just grow a thicker hide but it bothers me a bit. Any suggestions?
I asked my group leader about my ebike and he said, as long as its not a moped its ok. No other member has said anything and dont expressly ignore me. I hope they dont care about my ebike's performance as they struggle on hills. I just keep up with the leader when they fall back.

The slow ones know they can buy an ebike and not walk their carbon and titanium bikes uphill. I bought mine to keep up with the leader no matter what and ride up long grades and hills as I go shopping or restaurant hopping. Just lucky, I guess.
Old 12-08-18, 04:56 PM
SarahCH

Bikes: Too many!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've had a couple of people tell me that I'm cheating. I was slight confused the first time someone said it to me. Before I brought my ebike (Kalkhoff Sahel) I biked everyday to work, rain or shine. I still bike every day the ebike just lets me go slightly faster and at a steadier pace. I just have fun and don't worry about what other people think :-)
Old 12-08-18, 05:16 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Remind them that they're playing chess and you are playing checkers. Only the board looks the same. It's not cheating, it's a different pastime that shares the similarities of moving on roads with two wheels and at comparatively low speeds.
Old 12-09-18, 01:02 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
IMO, either you're commuting on an ebike, so how could you be cheating and who is being cheated? OR You have a toy that's different than other toys that look similar.
Old 12-09-18, 09:41 PM
ELECYCLES.COM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, everyone chooses whatever they like. don't let the others decide what you do and what you buy. you choose what you think is best for you and you like it, ignore the others and by the way, I am totally support you!
Old 12-31-18, 05:35 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I just tell them that my knees are probably 40 years older than theirs and ride on by.

Last edited by MNebiker; 12-31-18 at 05:36 PM. Reason: ttpe
Old 01-03-19, 08:16 PM
kerk

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Greenway, 2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It hasn't happened yet, but this thread sure is making me think about what I'm going to say. I just got my bike in December and I'm doing a short group ride on Sunday. I figure I'll hear it then. The biggest surprise to me is that the boost doesn't do all the work. For some reason I thought it would do it all when I had it on. To me, the boost seems like I am riding with a stiff wind behind me.
Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .
Old 01-03-19, 11:21 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I swear I've never met that e-bike.
Old 01-04-19, 06:37 PM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Obviously, you have different physical attributes to warrant the "cheater" comment. Do want to know what to say or do about it?

What do you do in case of a bully?
Do that.

I would simply ignore everything he says from now on, avoidance and not responding or looking his way to anything he says, even chiding you. This way you have peace of mind. Theres no fight and no blood.

He will see your commitment and ignoring him is proof of your commitment. Not only that. His own words will reverberate in his head, not your words of defensiveness. You win every day you show up. Just show up. You win already no matter what happens after that. Thats the Silent Treatment! Always wins! Even if the perp is stupid.

But if you have to talk, because youre talkative, say, loudly, "Cheating who?" so everyone can hear you as you walk away.
Old 01-04-19, 08:51 PM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Just in general, I'm not providing 100% of the propulsion so I am 'cheating' in their eyes. The guy that rode me most about it is in his 20's (I'm nearing 60), He is the guy that got the most pissed at me when I fall behind on the hills.

I am not really letting it bother me I just thought someone might have some real world experience I might gain from. Maybe even make some converts.
You cant win with this guy. Hes not many things, but most of all not a friend to anyone. He is the enemy in the group. A pill. A vermin.

Do your thing. There is no where for him to go, but to be a better person. Witness the transition.
Old 01-05-19, 09:55 AM
deronmoped

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always look to it as a chance to educate people on how a E-bike can be a good thing.
Sure it's cheating, but that is the very reason to ride a E-bike. The main reason I cheat, is to cheat the hills and distance out of defeating me on getting exercise. Before E-bike, sometimes I would find myself choosing a car or riding one of my mopeds instead of a bike. Now, with a E-bike in the mix, I find myself using a car or riding a moped less often. So in the end, I get to educate them on how I get more exercise, not less, when I use a E-bike.
Old 01-07-19, 02:29 AM
airgreek

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As long as you enjoy it it's all that matters
Old 01-07-19, 07:14 PM
kerk

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Greenway, 2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a couple of comments from riders on Sunday. I just told them that if not for the ebike, I would be sitting on the couch at home due to the effect of the cold temperature on my arthritis. This year is the first time I have ever been able to ride in January. That seemed to satisfy them.
Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .
Old 01-07-19, 10:42 PM
2old

Good job diffusing the situation amicably, something I need to practice more of.
Old 01-14-19, 12:36 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
Have only heard this on rare occasions. Probably due to my small build and white hair. Generally answer amicably, but I have considered "It upped my cycling, up yours!" Just haven't been in a situation it fits yet Don
Old 03-18-19, 01:29 PM
pakamac

Bikes: '75 Raleigh Professional, '74 Raleigh Pro, w. SA 3 speed fixed, '82 Araya 821 aero w. full Dura Ace group incl. bars, '09 Ridley Damocles, '16 Naked e bike w. Shimano STEPs, 11 sp Alfine and belt drive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry

I'm almost 80 yrs. old and have ridden my custom e bike with a group of friends who are all 10 to 15 years younger. None of them sneers at my e bike and nearly all of them appreciate that they don't have to wait for me any longer and can draft me against the wind. I do ride one of my other bikes when I am out on my own but my e bike is the chosen transport for shopping and group riding. BTW, my fitness level is probably higher than before I bought the e bike. BTW, one of our group, who is nearer my age, doesn't ride with us any longer and is still anguishing about whether to "admit defeat" and get an e bike or to maintain his purist philosophy and stay home while we are out riding.
Old 03-18-19, 02:39 PM
2old

You might remind your friend that he's not getting much exercise riding the couch. "Defeat" in this case means victory.
Old 03-18-19, 06:37 PM
jasnooks

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
You might remind your friend that he's not getting much exercise riding the couch. "Defeat" in this case means victory.
Well put. I agree 100 %
Old 03-20-19, 08:30 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Nothing, No need to respond. Chill and stay mysterious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.