Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

I just bought...

Old 04-08-18, 09:15 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddlfuc
Just in time for the end of the Southern hemisphere season, I picked up a set second hand training wheels.
Duraace Hubs with H+ sons Formation rims, and threw some Veloflex Records on them.

Man I love those tires and hubs..

Seeing as most of my riding is out doors it means I can keep my tubulars for the indoor velo... (when it reopens)
I have a similar set but with Velocity Aerohead rims that came with my first track bike. I love those wheels and they were my one and only for a number of years. These days I use them with Veloflex Records for boards training and outdoors carnival racing. They aren't "aero" wheels, but they sure feel fast, and they're not slowing me down
Old 04-09-18, 09:37 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
caught up in a crash with two other riders at VSC last Tuesday, and I broke five ribs....)

So that means I also just bought a huge medical bill....
Sorry to hear about your crash. Heal quickly!
Old 04-09-18, 10:23 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
Sorry to hear about your crash. Heal quickly!
Thanks, John. And the same to you!!
Old 04-20-18, 08:20 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I just bought a pair of FFWD F6T with Phil Wood hubs, Vittoria Corsa tubies (with tons of life left), and Sapim CX spokes for $900. A bit more than my last wheel score, but still pretty good, I think.

By the way, the Planet X five spoke decals are painted on. Crud...

As for my broken ribs, which is now 16 days ago, I'm going back to work today, and I've been spinning the trainer for the last three days. I'm sore, I have some limited range of motion (but I'm mostly okay), and the awful swelling I had is very much reduced. I don't know how much of a hit my fitness has taken, I do hope it's not "substantial".

Life goes on!
Old 04-20-18, 12:11 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals

As for my broken ribs, which is now 16 days ago, I'm going back to work today, and I've been spinning the trainer for the last three days. I'm sore, I have some limited range of motion (but I'm mostly okay), and the awful swelling I had is very much reduced. I don't know how much of a hit my fitness has taken, I do hope it's not "substantial".

Life goes on!
Some info on broken rib recovery time here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...estimates.html

Perhaps a seated leg press would keep your legs strong with no upper body flexing
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...48&FORM=VDRVRV
When do leg presses I position myself so that my knee lines up with an imaginary pedal spindles under my feet together with my Q distance.

Get well soon.
Old 04-20-18, 12:35 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by 700wheel
Some info on broken rib recovery time here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...estimates.html

Perhaps a seated leg press would keep your legs strong with no upper body flexing
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...48&FORM=VDRVRV
When do leg presses I position myself so that my knee lines up with an imaginary pedal spindles under my feet together with my Q distance.

Get well soon.
@700wheel, that is great info! Much appreciated!

And, thank you!
Old 04-23-18, 07:05 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
^Ouch, just read through some of the thread, heal up quick @sarals!
Old 04-23-18, 08:36 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Morelock
^Ouch, just read through some of the thread, heal up quick @sarals!
@Morelock, thanks! I'm getting there. I'm already back to work and I've been on the (road) bike. So far, so good!
Old 05-08-18, 02:21 PM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
FYI I've been riding the Assioma Duo pedals for a couple months and they are *very* reliable and super suitable for track. I spent a couple days comparing them to my SRM on my road bike and they tracked really well (which didn't surprise me, given the DC Rainmaker review). Highly recommend.

Would have gone with Garmin v3 but they were taking *forever* with production.
Old 05-08-18, 05:17 PM
Higher Class
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
scored a Miche Primato crankset for $50 with chainring. Had an absolute blast trying to figure out what BB I need, as apparently they switched from ISO to JIS at some point.

It's old and beat up, but it'll be a nice upgrade from my Suntour Edge crank . Moving from 3/32 to 1/8 as well.
Old 12-25-18, 05:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Thought I'd revive this, though right now, instead of "I just bought," it might be, "I just received...."

For me, it was a new skinsuit.
Old 12-25-18, 08:58 AM
Morelock

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Thought I'd revive this, though right now, instead of "I just bought," it might be, "I just received...."

For me, it was a new skinsuit.
ooohh what kind?

I wasn't in the market for anything particularly, but there was a 464 LOOK on FB marketplace on the cheap, so now n+1. (My wife is a LOOK fan so she even approved of this one!)
Old 12-25-18, 10:09 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You know the drill Morelock - photos or it didn't happen...

Seriously - looking forward to seeing the pictures!
Old 12-26-18, 06:46 AM
Morelock

@Dalai,

Hah, I know the rules Sadly I've been so busy the last week it's still not together!

Not too bad, one or two scratches and the deeper bb threads needed chased, but all in all good shape.
Old 01-07-19, 08:08 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts

... a Dolan DF4. Never had a single issue with my DF3, but the deal was too sweet (basically cost me $0) and I wanted to gain some reach (going to the 57cm from 55). I was already pretty happy with my position but am hoping to get the full elbows in front of the knees aero sprint position everyone is going for these days. Glamour shots to follow.

Last edited by Baby Puke; 01-08-19 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-08-19, 08:18 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Morelock
ooohh what kind?
Velotec.
Old 01-08-19, 08:53 AM
Morelock

@topflightpro Nice, can attest it's a quick suit (and really high end for the $$)
Old 01-08-19, 02:44 PM
FinkFloyd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These; just waiting for them to be delivered now. Price seemed decent and I think they look pretty cool.

Old 01-08-19, 04:06 PM
Morelock

nice, 3G's are an all time classic wheel. Versatile too if I'm remembering correctly how the hubs work.
Old 01-14-19, 03:12 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Rotor 150 mm crankset, axel and BB. I am only 5'5", so this will be interesting to see what happens once I get used to them. My current set is 165 mm. As it turned out, when I cut my seat mast originally (Fuji Elite, 2011 or 2012 version), for some reason I also cut a 15 mm section so thankfully have a shim to raise my seat. Before anyone questions the wisdom of doing this, I have tried (although not on the track at speed) and the seat is stable and there is plenty of clamp to insure it will securely and safely stay attached to the seat mast without rocking. I will post pictures when I am done with the conversion.

Last edited by rensho3; 01-14-19 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-19, 01:34 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I just bought a Rotor 150 mm crankset, axel and BB. I am only 5'5", so this will be interesting to see what happens once I get used to them. My current set is 165 mm. As it turned out, when I cut my seat mast originally (Fuji Elite, 2011 or 2012 version), for some reason I also cut a 15 mm section so thankfully have a shim to raise my seat. Before anyone questions the wisdom of doing this, I have tried (although not on the track at speed) and the seat is stable and there is plenty of clamp to insure it will securely and safely stay attached to the seat mast without rocking. I will post pictures when I am done with the conversion.
I've done a 1cm shim using my 2nd generation TK1 and the most recent TK FRD with no issues.

I think you'd feel it pretty quickly if it were not gonna work.
Old 01-21-19, 02:11 PM
rensho3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just finished installing, which was very easy (I had my shop do it because I was swamped with things to do)! My favorite mechanic confirms he had no problems at all.

The pictures are not the best, but it was raining when I took them, so I could not have a good backdrop.

The only slight weirdness is the spider, which is designed to work with the Rotor chainrings, forming a very nice closed surface from BB to chainring. However, since I have hundreds invested in my chainrings, I guess I will put up with it. It's no worse than it was before with Dura Ace BB and arms.

The one part of the installation I did was to insert a 15 mm spacer between the top of my seat mast and the saddle cap. It turns out that I cut a perfect 15 mm piece out of the mast when I first got the bike. It even lines up with the "Fuji" on the mast. Sometimes you get lucky.

I have ridden this set up twice, and am very happy with it. I definitely look better on the bike (sorry, there will probably never be any pictures, but I trust what my coach tells me). One interesting collateral effect is that I am way more comfortable when on the bars and trying to make like a turtle for aerodynamics. I was able to hold the position for about 8 x 250 meter laps; in the past my elbows and shoulders would start screaming at 3 laps. Not the most important fact since at most I do 3 laps for a TS, but nice nevertheless.

And yes, the right pedal is significantly ground off; it looks bad, but still works, and since it survived the same crash in 2015 that almost killed me, I am kind of attached (pun sort of intended) to it!

The aero effect appears to be more substantial than I expected also. Full disclosure, I did not change anything on the bike fit other than adding the spacer to the seat mast. My top speed on my 200 seems to have increased an average of 1 MPH (N=8). I like that!

Close up of installation
Old 01-21-19, 02:59 PM
topflightpro

Looks good Rensho.

If you are interested in a Rotor 52, PM me. It fit on my Omnium, but wont fit on my SRM. The hole is just too small.
Old 01-21-19, 04:11 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only slight weirdness is the spider, which is designed to work with the Rotor chainrings, forming a very nice closed surface from BB to chainring. However, since I have hundreds invested in my chainrings, I guess I will put up with it. It's no worse than it was before with Dura Ace BB and arms.
Looks good.

I had trouble with mounting Dura Ace rings on the ALDHU spider. The stack of spider thickness and inside of the chain ring bolt hole thickness was too small and the chain ring bolt wouldn't snug sufficiently to keep the ring on tight. Apparently some chain rings are thicker than others as a friend said FSA rings work well. I solved the problem by getting the Power2Max powermeter spider. But that necessitated getting the ALDHU road axle and BB. It's the rainy season in the PNW so I haven't been able to track test it yet.

If anyone needs the Rotor ALDHU track spider, track axle, and track BB, I have a spare set.
Old 01-21-19, 10:53 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I have ridden this set up twice, and am very happy with it. I definitely look better on the bike (sorry, there will probably never be any pictures, but I trust what my coach tells me). One interesting collateral effect is that I am way more comfortable when on the bars and trying to make like a turtle for aerodynamics. I was able to hold the position for about 8 x 250 meter laps; in the past my elbows and shoulders would start screaming at 3 laps. Not the most important fact since at most I do 3 laps for a TS, but nice nevertheless.

The aero effect appears to be more substantial than I expected also. Full disclosure, I did not change anything on the bike fit other than adding the spacer to the seat mast. My top speed on my 200 seems to have increased an average of 1 MPH (N=8). I like that!
That's awesome!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.