Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Xert, functional or phooey?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 01-18-21, 12:42 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

I was just checking it out. Seems very complicated. The signature fitness concept looks interesting. Smart workouts look kind of phooey. Anyone using it?
Old 01-18-21, 11:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you are self-motivated to get to what ever level you desire, then why bother. On the other hand, if it motivates you then do you care what we think?
Old 01-18-21, 02:49 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are self-motivated to get to what ever level you desire, then why bother. On the other hand, if it motivates you then do you care what we think?
I'm not sure what your post means. It's like a Zen koan. I'll study it some more.

So...anyone using Xert? It looks interesting, but I'd have to buy a power meter for my outdoor rides, since it seems Xert is 100% about power. I have power pedals for the indoor stuff.
Old 01-18-21, 03:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
It means I don't think xert is doing anything for you other than simplifying the process of training and requiring you to know nothing about your own fitness other than you do what they tell you to do. If that is your thing, then go for it. I'd probably opt for an actual coach instead that I could discuss stuff with.

I prefer to read the various sites about sports physiology and blogs from coaches that I've found and and get the ideas of others to tailor my own training plan for myself. I don't train for competitions on amateur or professional levels. I just do what gets me to a goal I set. And I'm not in any desperate desire to achieve any particular goal the day after I set it.

Power meters tend to eliminate a lot of the stuff that gets tossed around and argued in HR training. But the basic of ideas in training with a power meter are still pretty much the same as training with an HR monitor and even the same as the training methods that were used before either. One of which is ride. Ride often and ride long. The other is occasionally do some very intense efforts for certain types of segments of your rides.

I did look briefly at the site you ask, but only briefly. Looks like many others that claim to have a plan.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-18-21 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 09:42 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Iride01
It means I don't think xert is doing anything for you other than simplifying the process of training and requiring you to know nothing about your own fitness other than you do what they tell you to do. If that is your thing, then go for it. I'd probably opt for an actual coach instead that I could discuss stuff with.

I prefer to read the various sites about sports physiology and blogs from coaches that I've found and and get the ideas of others to tailor my own training plan for myself. I don't train for competitions on amateur or professional levels. I just do what gets me to a goal I set. And I'm not in any desperate desire to achieve any particular goal the day after I set it.

Power meters tend to eliminate a lot of the stuff that gets tossed around and argued in HR training. But the basic of ideas in training with a power meter are still pretty much the same as training with an HR monitor and even the same as the training methods that were used before either. One of which is ride. Ride often and ride long. The other is occasionally do some very intense efforts for certain types of segments of your rides.

I did look briefly at the site you ask, but only briefly. Looks like many others that claim to have a plan.
Xert has a few "whiz bang" features that seem to set it apart from much of the competition. I was wondering whether anyone found or thought them useful.
Old 01-27-21, 09:57 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I have not used it. It seems to be like Training Peaks, but interactive, and with some AI mixed in. The idea of a "smart workout" does not seem all that controversial. I don't know exactly how they implement it, but here's my guess: suppose your training plan calls for you to ride 4 x 8 min @ 105%. Each one of those intervals can have a training stress score calculated for it—let's say it's 20 TSS each. If you're sandbagging an interval a little bit, this is probably saying "Wattsup needs to get up to 20 TSS for this interval, but at this rate will only be at 18 TSS after 8 minutes, so let's keep going until we hit 20."
Old 01-31-21, 08:44 PM
Wattsup

I just signed up month to month. The whole system is very intriguing...I actually need to read the help files. I can usually just browse around an interface and figure things out, but Xert has lots of bells and whistles. It's complex.
Old 03-10-21, 12:26 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by adamrice
I have not used it. It seems to be like Training Peaks, but interactive, and with some AI mixed in. The idea of a "smart workout" does not seem all that controversial. I don't know exactly how they implement it, but here's my guess: suppose your training plan calls for you to ride 4 x 8 min @ 105%. Each one of those intervals can have a training stress score calculated for it—let's say it's 20 TSS each. If you're sandbagging an interval a little bit, this is probably saying "Wattsup needs to get up to 20 TSS for this interval, but at this rate will only be at 18 TSS after 8 minutes, so let's keep going until we hit 20."
Revisiting this thread…..

I’ve spent a good deal of time with the program. There’s no Ai involved. They appear to be using an algorithm to essentially do what one would do manually using Trainingpeaks and the PMC chart. One big pitch is “No more FTP tests, ever.” It’s misleading in that one does need to do maximal efforts from time to time. Their FTP predictions for me seemed off. All in all, I didn't see that Xert could do anything that Intervals.icu couldn't do, and Intervals is free, and in some ways, superior to Xert. YMMV

Last edited by Wattsup; 03-10-21 at 12:43 PM.