Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For those with deep pockets

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For those with deep pockets

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 03:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Actually, if I would seriously start selling, CL would be one of my first sales avenues. Free. Local pickup. Seller's dream. Less likely to get top dollar, but you don't know if you don't try.
Possible, A Major Metro market could yield a buyer.
Old 03-10-21, 03:52 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Was there not a tandem project going?

On the Left Coast, so my chance at a Classic Rendezvous event is in the rearview mirror.
I'm working on it, yes! Mine doesn't have the threaded "SKF" ball bearing bottom bracket, but rather an earlier design, known as the "Timken" style with tapered roller bearings. No threads at all in the shell, it's adjusted with a couple of jam nuts threaded on the shaft like an old Shimano adjustable cartridge. Only very early Herse bikes used the Timken style, tandems using it later than single bikes, probably because it was a more proven design. I'm told to use thicker grease in them than normal bike grease - like a moly-containing wheel bearing grease for car trailers or some such.
Old 03-10-21, 05:32 PM
Velikus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
There was a Rene Herse on LA CL a while back. It was listed as 'Rene Horse', had bad pics and was $6000. It was gone in a week.
Old 03-10-21, 07:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I don't think those are VO racks, but I could be wrong. Front rack certainly looks original. It doesn't really seem like a top $ Herse to me, but maybe this is what $10k gets you nowadays.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-10-21, 09:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
CL ad = deleted by author
Old 03-10-21, 09:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Like I said.....
Old 03-10-21, 09:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Curious what it went for
Old 03-10-21, 11:30 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Is this it? https://***********************/blog/19...nRlyveERRdB2Zs

Last edited by unterhausen; 03-11-21 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-10-21, 11:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Is this it?
?
Old 03-11-21, 12:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't know what happened to my link
1951 Rene Herse 650b Randonneuse! - Bike Recyclery
Old 03-11-21, 02:42 AM
merziac

I don't know what happened to my link
1951 Rene Herse 650b Randonneuse! - Bike Recyclery
Yep, that's it, hard to say whats going on.

Looks like Justyne is having trouble making up their mind.
Old 03-11-21, 02:59 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,073 Posts
I don't think those are VO racks, but I could be wrong.
Yeah I said V-O but that was a brain fart, I meant Nitto, for the Front rack. It might not be a Nitto, but it's definitely not a V-O, mea culpa! I have one V-O front and two Nitto's and I got them mixed up in my head.

But I still think the Rear is a V-O.

The person who bought it is Justyne *****, owner of Bike Recyclery in Portland OR. They (sorry I don't know their pronouns) say the racks are not original, but didn't say what brand they were. Words and pictures here, which may be just the CL pics, I don't remember. The bit about the racks not being original is from a post by Justyne ***** to Classic Rendezvous Wednesday evening. I've asked if they can tell what brand the racks are, but no reply yet.

Edit: and now I see that unterhausen already shared the Bike Recyclery link.

Mark B
Old 03-11-21, 05:24 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by bulgie
Yeah I said V-O but that was a brain fart,
Ha, my brain fart was actually correct, at least according to Justyne, who replied to my private email, saying that both racks are V-O.

She's wondering what "model" of Herse this is, since it doesn't have internal routing for the rear brake. I know Herse had named models in later years, but back in the early '50s? No idea. Anyone here with the big Herse book, or other historical info, care to weigh in on whether this is a known model?

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-11-21, 06:01 PM
merziac

Ha, my brain fart was actually correct, at least according to Justyne, who replied to my private email, saying that both racks are V-O.

She's wondering what "model" of Herse this is, since it doesn't have internal routing for the rear brake. I know Herse had named models in later years, but back in the early '50s? No idea. Anyone here with the big Herse book, or other historical info, care to weigh in on whether this is a known model?

Mark B
Both the big blue book and The Golden age of handbuilt bicycles show basically identical bikes as "Randonneuse" bikes or models. One thing to keep in mind is that this style was his go to and while he built all different styles, these were his stock in trade, they were raced and competed in many different events, races, and competitions of all kinds with this style of bike and it was the style most rode for pleasure, travel, camping and much else before the 4 wheel cages took over.
Old 03-11-21, 06:19 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

I'm looking at the 1960 Herse Fédéral in BQ #27 (Spring '09), frame is a good match except for a cable-operated F. der., and Speedy tubing rather than Vitus.

As I understand it, a Fédéral wouldn't normally have the Herse cranks (and special BB) or stem, so maybe this one was upgraded before it left the atelier (buyer ticked all the extra-cost options boxes), or maybe the hi-zoot goodies were put on later.

What I don't know is whether there was a Fédéral model in '51. Or could there have been a mid-priced model between the Fédéral and the top o' the line?

Of course we're just taking the seller's word for it that this is a '51, but it seems reasonable. Can one tell by the serial number? Someone should ask Heine, though I think I have exhausted my interest in this particular bike. If I'm boring myself, I know most everyone else dropped off long ago!

Mark B
Old 03-11-21, 06:42 PM
merziac

I'm looking at the 1960 Herse Fédéral in BQ #27 (Spring '09), frame is a good match except for a cable-operated F. der., and Speedy tubing rather than Vitus.

As I understand it, a Fédéral wouldn't normally have the Herse cranks (and special BB) or stem, so maybe this one was upgraded before it left the atelier (buyer ticked all the extra-cost options boxes), or maybe the hi-zoot goodies were put on later.

What I don't know is whether there was a Fédéral model in '51. Or could there have been a mid-priced model between the Fédéral and the top o' the line?

Of course we're just taking the seller's word for it that this is a '51, but it seems reasonable. Can one tell by the serial number? Someone should ask Heine, though I think I have exhausted my interest in this particular bike. If I'm boring myself, I know most everyone else dropped off long ago!

Mark B
I meant to give the year, It is a 50, again almost identical and I'll bet this is what you got if you ordered a "standard" bike for normal riding and use of the time.
Old 03-11-21, 06:47 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
For that price, I would expect authentic French air in the tires.
That's easily taken care of by shipping the wheels to France and back. The hard part would be having 1951 French air in the tires.
Old 03-11-21, 06:53 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Front and rear racks appear to be Velo-Orange. For $10k I'd expect a little nicer racks -- also both pedals should come with dust caps at that price!!

Jan Heine, who owns the Rene Herse name, has had at least one modern Herse repro made by an American framebuilder, I'm forgetting now, was it Ouellette? It has the carbon brush in the head tube.

A number of other guys are making that feature too, like Hahn Rossman. Not cheap (I assume) but totally do-able. Japanese constructeur Hirose has sadly passed away, but up until recent years he made bikes with that feature. John Clay is an amateur garage builder who has made himself one or more frames with the HT internal connection, done a little differently (I think Clay did it the Hirose way). I've seen a few other one-offs as well. I'm pretty sure Rossman will even sell you the parts to give your framebuilder, if you're not buying a Rossman, so you don't have to re-invent it. He offered me a set anyway.

Mark B in Seattle
Jamie Swan on Long Island is also making a copper-brush in the head tube system. He has a complete photo set documenting it on flickr.
Old 03-11-21, 07:06 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by southpawboston
Jamie Swan on Long Island is also making a copper-brush in the head tube system. He has a complete photo set documenting it on flickr.
Yep, gugie covered this in post #24 about one he did.
Old 03-11-21, 07:06 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Ach, I should have known I couldn't leave it alone, so here I am replying to my own post again <sigh>
I forgot I had this compilation of Herse catalog translations and other documentation from Heiko Strömer of Germany.

"1952 René Herse Catalogue page 4
Fédéral (new model)
"D'un prix plus modeste, je n'envie rien à mes frères aînés, puisque
construit entièrement sur mesure et que de 8 vitesses je suis équipé."
"Of a more modest price, I don't envy anything to my elder
brothers, since I am entirely made to measure and equipped with 8
speeds."

So if the bike in question really is a '51, and if the Fédéral really was a new model for '52 as
Herr Strömer has it, then maybe this bike isn't a Fédéral.

But then (quoting Herr
Strömer):
When looking at the bicycle models always keep in mind that
"Herse did not really offer specific bicycle models, but made the
bikes to the customer's specification" (Heine). Many of the bicycles
shown in these catalogues where special built show–bicycles, often
sold after the shows. The catalogue models just served as
inspiration or examples of what was available/possible.
About how the year of the catalog was determined to be '52, he writes:
As there are no René Herse advertisements indicating a new
catalogue at the beginning of the 50s, the publication date of this
catalogue has to be determined by its content.
Based on the information from various articles in "Le Cycle" this
catalogue definitely shows an intended 1952 model range:
– motorized models were first shown during 1951, tandem in May,
single in Oct.
– "Federal" model prototype was introduced Nov. 17th 1951
– same with wingnut mounted taillight.
As these things are illustrated in the catalogue, it can not show a
1951 or earlier model range.
– motorized models were dropped during 1952 but are shown in
the catalogue
– seattube mounted JOS taillights on Herse bicycles were
introduced Oct. 1952 (part of the 1953 model range) but are not
shown in the catalogue.
That's why this catalogue can not show a 1953 or later model range.
The only remaining year is 1952.
While "model range 1952" is a solid data, publication date is not. In
theory it could have been published on any date after Nov. 17th
1951. In practice the latest publication date is limited by such a
catalogue sold on Ebay UK in Dec. 2016. It was accompanied by a
1953 price list. Mark Bulgier saved the auction photos (Thank you!!).
https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Herse/
Sounds like the guy did his homework!

Oh, and about what I said about the Fédéral not having Herse cranks and stem? Wrong! Here's the '52 catalog page for the Fédéral. Note that it comes with Herse cranks and stem, like Justyne's. And the tubing decal is too vague to read in the Rebour drawing, but it does sorta look like a Vitus.

So, do we have a winner?

Many thanks to Heiko Strömer for his painstaking research, the translations, and the catalog pages on Flickr that he also put a huge amount of work into scanning and cleaning up. What a fantastic resource.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie: