Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tyrell Ive - a first impressions review

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tyrell Ive - a first impressions review

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 09:57 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It can be a pain removing stuff from the rack to fold or half fold a bike. From experience though other systems have their down sides. Ie a Brompton is difficult to carry front bag fully loaded and you are best removing it for steps anyway. I found the quick release rack bag on my mezzo just as convient.
Also a front bag makes the bike unstable half folded.
As long as the rack bag is quick releae and has a shoulder strap you are missing out on many refinements to convience in reality.
Ps its possible to fit the Mezzo rack system to other bikes, using adapters. See the Mezzo upgrading thread.
Old 03-01-16, 02:26 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! No interest in Tyrell before this, but this looks like a better ride than Bromptons. I might get this and sell one of my Bs!
Old 03-01-16, 10:14 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like it also. Wish it was available in UK. There are some great Bikes out there.
Old 03-01-16, 10:57 AM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I sent a message to Tyrell facebook page last year and they would sell them in the UK but were looking for a dealer, obviously none came forth which i expected as shops here like to be sheep and sell the same bikes as every other shop sells, road or mtb or hybrid, anything else has to be ordered in.
Old 03-01-16, 06:27 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
Nice! No interest in Tyrell before this, but this looks like a better ride than Bromptons. I might get this and sell one of my Bs!
Its worth a look if you can get to try one.

Originally Posted by dezzie
I sent a message to Tyrell facebook page last year and they would sell them in the UK but were looking for a dealer, obviously none came forth which i expected as shops here like to be sheep and sell the same bikes as every other shop sells, road or mtb or hybrid, anything else has to be ordered in.
Maybe you can try one of the large online stores in Japan?

I'd think market penetration would be hard in the UK too, since its the land of the Brompton.
Old 03-01-16, 06:46 PM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Too much hassle besides i have a xootr, a Raleigh Stowaway to ride and 2 old Moultons to restore, aint nobody got time for that!!
Old 03-01-16, 08:55 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
Its worth a look if you can get to try one.

It was inaccurate to say I had no interest but Tyrell has always seemed more like a racing bike with a bulky fold to me. I'm no speed demon but given the brand's pedigree and a now-impressive fold (that obviously drew inspiration from Brompton), it's definitely worth to a second look now.

I will keep an eye on it and consider the next iteration which will probably have a fair number of refinements (hopefully). The price is not more expensive than a Brompton so it's definitely a contender for my next foldie!
Old 03-01-16, 11:52 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by keyven
It was inaccurate to say I had no interest but Tyrell has always seemed more like a racing bike with a bulky fold to me. I'm no speed demon but given the brand's pedigree and a now-impressive fold (that obviously drew inspiration from Brompton), it's definitely worth to a second look now.

I will keep an eye on it and consider the next iteration which will probably have a fair number of refinements (hopefully). The price is not more expensive than a Brompton so it's definitely a contender for my next foldie!

It rides in between a road bike styled mini velo and a Brompton, perhaps with a hint of MTB too because of the 1.5" Schwelbe Marathon Racer tires on it.

Between my suped up Raleigh MV8 and the IVE, the MV8 is certainly faster with the drop bars, lighter weight and 1.25 tires on 20" wheels.
The IVE is however close behind, and folds so well.

Its exactly what I want for a travel bike.
Fold it up and load up a coach or plane, to cover large distances, then upfold and travel around once there and at the same time having the gearing to cover tougher gradients and a larger distance since it rides fast/nice.
Old 03-04-16, 04:53 AM
Biker from BKK

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May I share my experience. I have got Tyrell Ive for 2 weeks, and found when depressed the red level on handle bar , the rear part was still latched to frame. Nomatterwhat I did I could not unlatch the rear part. I was about to get on MRT. so I had to take a taxi because unfolded bike was unallowable on MRT.

Explanation from dealer after fixing it is sting attached to the level is extendable after using for sometimes, which is my case.

i feel its latch-unlatch machanism is unreliable, please make sure it is unlatch-able if you intend to take it on MRT or wherever need you to fold it.
Old 03-04-16, 07:26 PM
firewave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the latch connected via some kind of brake/shifter cable? If there's cable tensioner at the lever, I think you'd just need to set more tension.

Similarly problems can happen with brake/shifter due to cable stretch...
Old 03-04-16, 10:26 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Biker from BKK
May I share my experience. I have got Tyrell Ive for 2 weeks, and found when depressed the red level on handle bar , the rear part was still latched to frame. Nomatterwhat I did I could not unlatch the rear part. I was about to get on MRT. so I had to take a taxi because unfolded bike was unallowable on MRT.

Explanation from dealer after fixing it is sting attached to the level is extendable after using for sometimes, which is my case.

i feel its latch-unlatch machanism is unreliable, please make sure it is unlatch-able if you intend to take it on MRT or wherever need you to fold it.

Thanks unfortunate to hear.

However, if you look at the picture :

20160126-DSC09742 by jenkwang, on Flickr

On that silvered cable guide (on the right), there is actually a cable tension adjustment knob.

That said, I think shops that sell this bike can better educate us users on some of such matters.
I too was never briefed on this and only looked around when you mentioned your problem here. (which is why sharing on a forum can be great)
Old 03-04-16, 11:14 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Hey guys, have you taken this little guy on fire-roads or smooth gravel roads?
Old 03-05-16, 04:43 AM
Biker from BKK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mechanician at the shop did make a fuss over the silvered cable , but unsuccessful.
Finally, he put a small miniature screw into a hole on the other side of the tube, then bingo ...

by the way I forgot to mention the the rear became unlatched without pressing the red lever during spin wheel testing. ��
Old 03-05-16, 07:10 AM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Hey guys, have you taken this little guy on fire-roads or smooth gravel roads?
Not in my case, though I don't think the Marathon Racer tires and 18" wheels are anywhere near ok for such riding.

Maybe with knobbly tires.....

Originally Posted by Biker from BKK
Mechanician at the shop did make a fuss over the silvered cable , but unsuccessful.
Finally, he put a small miniature screw into a hole on the other side of the tube, then bingo ...

by the way I forgot to mention the the rear became unlatched without pressing the red lever during spin wheel testing. ��
Sounds like something wrong with the catch mechanism on your bike, probably worth to double check if its really fixed now or just jury rigged to be 'ok' for a short while.

I'd better try to understand how the latch mechanism work myself (just in case) or ask the bike mechanic the next time I visit the shop.
Old 03-12-16, 05:43 PM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Some photos I took this cycle show, interesting design on front rack and you can make it compatible with brompton front luggage system.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P9070238.jpg (45.0 KB, 565 views)
P9070239.jpg (39.5 KB, 561 views)
P9070240.jpg (26.8 KB, 554 views)
P9070241.jpg (37.4 KB, 557 views)
P9070242.jpg (37.9 KB, 549 views)
P9070243.jpg (33.6 KB, 560 views)
P9070244.jpg (33.5 KB, 547 views)
P9070245.jpg (38.9 KB, 551 views)
P9070246.jpg (41.1 KB, 548 views)
P9070247.jpg (20.9 KB, 544 views)
P9070248.jpg (41.1 KB, 551 views)
P9070249.jpg (33.3 KB, 545 views)
Old 03-12-16, 06:52 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One concern on the IVE is the position of the rear elastomer on the seat tube; it doesn't have anything backing it. AFAIK some Moultons suffered seat tube cracks due to the same geometry issue. There is a huge amount of continuous varying force, impact and vibration on that point.
Old 03-13-16, 07:48 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hello Jur I don't get how this is anything different from Brompton or Birdie etc arrangement.
Attached Images
6887459359_37e0d84bcf.jpg (35.9 KB, 287 views)
images(3).jpg (9.9 KB, 290 views)
Old 03-13-16, 09:39 AM
RayB

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great review. I've seen a number of those around here and love them. To heavy for them myself so I've had to stick with Tern but I'd certainly take one for a spin if I could.
Old 03-13-16, 10:01 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you are having issues with the cable release try adding more spring return with a pen spring in a cable terminal and/or make sure it has teflon coated cable fitted. Also add a bit of light oil. Not WD 40.
The long curving routes on folders often causes cable stiffness.
Old 03-13-16, 03:11 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
Hello Jur I don't get how this is anything different from Brompton or Birdie etc arrangement.
If you look at the place where the elastomer is mounted on the seat tube, there is nothing on the other side. With the Brompton, Birdy, Reach, Moulton etc the support point is backed by the top tube or something equivalent. The force exerted by the rear triangle on the seat tube is transmitted to the rest of the frame. On the IVE, the seat tube flexes. Being aluminium, it will take a defined number of flexes and will then crack, as I understand aluminium. With other materials, you can design it to have an infinite stress life, but not with aluminium. You can design it to have a practically infinite life. The trouble is the the amount of force exerted by the rear triangle is *huge*.

It is not for nothing that diamond frames' seat stays meet up at the top tube.

I hope they did the sums correctly.

Last edited by jur; 03-13-16 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 04:35 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by jur
If you look at the place where the elastomer is mounted on the seat tube, there is nothing on the other side. With the Brompton, Birdy, Reach, Moulton etc the support point is backed by the top tube or something equivalent. The force exerted by the rear triangle on the seat tube is transmitted to the rest of the frame. On the IVE, the seat tube flexes. Being aluminium, it will take a defined number of flexes and will then crack, as I understand aluminium. With other materials, you can design it to have an infinite stress life, but not with aluminium. You can design it to have a practically infinite life. The trouble is the the amount of force exerted by the rear triangle is *huge*.

It is not for nothing that diamond frames' seat stays meet up at the top tube.

I hope they did the sums correctly.

Just to clarify, the bike is steel not alu.
Old 03-13-16, 08:18 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
Just to clarify, the bike is steel not alu.

just to clarify, he's still right, though.

i would suggest keeping your weight at around 70kg and getting an extra long seatpost.

Old 03-14-16, 01:19 AM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by smallwheeler

i would suggest keeping your weight at around 70kg and getting an extra long seatpost.

I was just clarifying on the material. (which is steel and not alu as mentioned)
Perhaps that was a conscious choice too as most other Tyrell bikes are alu (except for the very expensive Ti one).
There's also a weight limit of 80kg (perhaps also another "safeguard")
The seat post is long too (if it does any purpose to reinforce the area).

I'm far from 70kg too, which is a bonus.

That said, the design is actually common on many tri-bikes.

Old 03-14-16, 04:38 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It is also a question of lever arm length. The force is multiplied by the ratio of the chainstay length to the vertical bit.

Avoid big impacts like jumping down kerbs or bunny hops.
Old 03-14-16, 04:50 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler

Oooooh ouch. That is the APB, but the design was improved in that area in the next model. I too have the APB and was just this weekend tearing down MTB track boasting that "you're looking at the original first ever designed full-suspension MTB, dude"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.