Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tyrell Ive - a first impressions review

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tyrell Ive - a first impressions review

Old 05-09-18, 06:18 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
i recall visiting MyBikeSG in early 2016, and an IVE sold for SGD1,900 or about $1,325. How much are they now? I've got about $1,250 in the piggy bank from recent bike part sales...
Yeah, I got the bike early when it was launched at the price you mentioned above minus the rack (an extra ~$180 iirc)
Last I heard, it was SGD1600 with the rear rack, but that was quite a few months back, so do give them a call to check out the current price.
Old 04-05-21, 10:18 PM
Freem@n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tyrell IVE / FX or Reach GT

Hi Pinholecam,

I have a question - I am about to receive my wheels to start building the Change bike, and now looking to buy a foldable bike for my wife so we can bring along both bikes in our car to bring our young son for rides.

Criteria:
1. Folds small enough to go into car boot (does not need to be folded often - just to place in the boot) along with the Change Bike
2. Easy to maneuver for a lady rider - Not overly heavy and wife prefer smaller wheels so its easy to get on and off
3. Straight bar preferred
4. Able to install child seat (preferably quick release) safely
5. Enough gears to have reasonable speed to join group rides (if possible least 90 gear inches)
6. Decent low gears for small climbs
7. Ideally able to go on various terrains, including off road/trails (i.e. Railway corridor) worst case we will cede this as we still have our MTB
8. Prefer frames without the middle fold (so its sturdier, safer and stiffer) but willing to cede this one if its too difficult

On your recommendation considering Tyrell IVE/FX or possibly Reach GT/Birdy GT, but wondering which ones can be used with a child seat.

Any recommendations?

We went to MyBikeShop at Lower Delta but unfortunately they don't have any IVE/FX available for her to test out and its a rather expensive gamble to buy without trying and hope that my wife would like the bike.

Last edited by Freem@n; 04-06-21 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 02:32 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
If you want to do some offroad and if your wife is concerned by comfort, the Birdy is more suited.

The folding rear rack of the Birdy is rated for 15kg max.

But it would be better to carry the child on your bike than on her bike !
Old 04-06-21, 07:01 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Freem@n
Hi Pinholecam,

I have a question - I am about to receive my wheels to start building the Change bike, and now looking to buy a foldable bike for my wife so we can bring along both bikes in our car to bring our young son for rides.

Criteria:
1. Folds small enough to go into car boot (does not need to be folded often - just to place in the boot) along with the Change Bike
2. Easy to maneuver for a lady rider - Not overly heavy and wife prefer smaller wheels so its easy to get on and off
3. Straight bar preferred
4. Able to install child seat (preferably quick release) safely
5. Enough gears to have reasonable speed to join group rides (if possible least 90 gear inches)
6. Decent low gears for small climbs
7. Ideally able to go on various terrains, including off road/trails (i.e. Railway corridor) worst case we will cede this as we still have our MTB
8. Prefer frames without the middle fold (so its sturdier, safer and stiffer) but willing to cede this one if its too difficult

On your recommendation considering Tyrell IVE/FX or possibly Reach GT/Birdy GT, but wondering which ones can be used with a child seat.

Any recommendations?

We went to MyBikeShop at Lower Delta but unfortunately they don't have any IVE/FX available for her to test out and its a rather expensive gamble to buy without trying and hope that my wife would like the bike.

How old is your son?
I start ferrying my kids on the rear of my Raleigh with rear rack from about age 4-5. (so YMMV in terms of worry )
As for small children, (2-4) I have always used a cheap China market bike with rear child seat (or a trailer, before I sold it )

For a folding bike that can fit a child seat, it will be a really hard (at least in my opinion).
Reasons :
1. If mounted on the rear rack area, usually there is not enough feet clearance when pedaling.
2. If mounted on the front, I just find that it exposes the child to and front collision (though this risk is actually very very low )
3. Front mount also can interfere with the pedaling having the legs to be in an odd wide angle to avoid the seat that is in front.

You won't get feet clearance with the IVE for a child seated behind.

IMHO, its also too expensive a bike now to buy before trying. (used to be cheaper before this bike boom )

Best advise I can give is to check with some of the local folding bike FB groups as some have managed to mount/use a child seat successfully.

It also boils down to the child's age. I have towed my 6yr old son on his own bike just by tying a dis-used inner tube to his bike from mine.
Old 04-07-21, 04:23 PM
Freem@n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks @pinholecam and Jipe for your feedback. All good points.

Pinholecam, my boy is 2 turning 3.

Aware of leg space constraints as folding bikes has limitations hence I am considering a frame or post mounted solution.

Was considering a Yepp Maxi - https://www.carousell.sg/p/foldable-...eat-205603501/

Would you reckon it will work with the Ive or FX? Unfortunately i doubt it will work on the Change Bike as its mounted where the folding clamp is.

Also saw other examples which seem to have sufficient space.
https://www.carousell.sg/p/reserved-raleigh-broadway-20-foldable-bicycle-with-child-seat-29810926/

Last edited by Freem@n; 04-07-21 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 07:15 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Freem@n
Thanks @pinholecam and Jipe for your feedback. All good points.

Pinholecam, my boy is 2 turning 3.

Aware of leg space constraints as folding bikes has limitations hence I am considering a frame or post mounted solution.

Was considering a Yepp Maxi - https://www.carousell.sg/p/foldable-...eat-205603501/

Would you reckon it will work with the Ive or FX? Unfortunately i doubt it will work on the Change Bike as its mounted where the folding clamp is.

Also saw other examples which seem to have sufficient space.
https://www.carousell.sg/p/reserved-raleigh-broadway-20-foldable-bicycle-with-child-seat-29810926/

My thoughts on that Vert with system you linked is not viable.
Based on my own (and others) experiences with seat post clamp rack solutions, they Will turn if loaded heavily.

The system on that Raleigh are the ones I've seen on the pavements that seem "ok", but as usual, the devil's in the details and only those who have used it can give a better assessment of it.
Main thing is like how wide the cyclists legs need to open up to not knee the seat/child.
I have a child saddle mounted on a 26" "mamachari" (china market bike), totally hate hop my legs need to angle away (so its not for long distance cycling )

My own take is to get a cheap folder (like that Raleigh) and be done with it.
Also temper expectations of where you will cycle (no grand outings, likely just neighborhood cycling to/around the park )
They will all be troublesome to setup (and fit into the car ), or at the least will take up more time that usual. (you need to have the patience for it )
My few cents