Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rough ride today *explicit language warning*

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rough ride today *explicit language warning*

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 12:11 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The older I get the less I care when stuff like that happens to me. A lot of people on the road are either selfish, distracted or both, and I have decided to just not let it bother me. You're not going to teach anyone to be considerate by reporting them to the police. If anything, they'll probably just resent cyclists even more than they did before. I think of it as a test of my serenity and one-ness with the bike.
Old 02-12-17, 12:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
The older I get the less I care when stuff like that happens to me. A lot of people on the road are either selfish, distracted or both, and I have decided to just not let it bother me. You're not going to teach anyone to be considerate by reporting them to the police. If anything, they'll probably just resent cyclists even more than they did before. I think of it as a test of my serenity and one-ness with the bike.
That's easy for you to say, you're a Jedi Master!
Old 02-12-17, 12:31 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
There is great benefit to reporting these incidences to local police. It can affect public attitudes and in the extreme cases can affect policy decisions on policing and even road construction.

There was a nutcase (quite literally, the guy needs psychiatric care) around here who was actively running motorbikes and other people off the road - but specifically targeting motorcycles. If it hadn't been for multiple reporting of the guy w/a description of his car, he'd have killed somebody - cyclist, pedestrian, motorcyclist, etc.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/pens...untains/116882

In fact, it's completely not unreasonable to think he could have caused a fatality in the past, with the "single-vehicle motorcycle fatality" being not totally uncommon. People just assume motorcycles "go too fast", but it can also be due to bad road conditions, or other very bad road users.
Old 02-12-17, 01:56 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
There is great benefit to reporting these incidences to local police...
Couple of years ago a guy in a creeper van followed me really close for a few blocks, then came up along side me really close, then intentionally right hooked me so I had to really jam on my brakes to avoid hitting him. I made a mental note of his license plate number and called the local police when I got home to report the guy. They said I would have to come into the station to file a report and they probably wouldn't do anything anyway. So you go ahead and report whoever you want to the police. It's not worth my time.
Old 02-12-17, 02:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
It's not worth my time.
It's funny that this is your argument against acting for (potentially) the good others when you'd previously said,

A lot of people on the road are either selfish...
I guess you'd included yourself among the selfish lot, eh?
Old 02-12-17, 02:15 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I guess you'd included yourself among the selfish lot, eh?
Yes. Everyone is. That's what I said before.
Old 02-12-17, 02:24 PM
WhyFi

Yes. Everyone is. That's what I said before.
No, you said, "a lot." You also implied some superior level of serenity, so I thought it all amusing.
Old 02-12-17, 03:13 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

No, you said, "a lot." You also implied some superior level of serenity, so I thought it all amusing.
I don't get it. Why is it amusing that someone doesn't let bad drivers bother them and also doesn't report bad drivers to the police because they think it's a waste of time?
Old 02-12-17, 04:13 PM
WhyFi

I don't get it.
I know.
Old 02-12-17, 04:49 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I know.
Ad hominem? Wow. I must have really struck a nerve. Sorry about that.
Old 02-12-17, 06:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,032 Posts
So much for the Jedi crap.
Old 02-12-17, 07:35 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
School Bus: You saw the bus rolling and had enough time and distance to brake hard and turn right to avoid the bus. It's obvious there was going to be a squeeze. Riding like that will get you killed some day. See the squeeze before it happens and avoid it. A collision with a bike vs Car/Truck/Bus- you lose, regardless of whose fault it was. You're sticking your head into the lion's mouth and waiting to blame him when he bites you.

Wanksters: Nothing you could have done about that.
Normally I'd agree with you -- my mantra is to always ride as though motorists can't see you.

Unfortunately, the fidelity of the video isn't quite as good as what can be seen in real life. Immediately after the pickup truck passes in front of the bus, the driver looks right at me. As mentioned, I was running a super bright flashing front light and hi-vis clothing, plus there were no other vehicles on the road. Considering she looked right at me, that gave me a high degree of confidence that she saw me.

On quite a regular basis I'll have people make left turns much like the bus driver did, but they almost always stay further left until they've accelerated past me before they transition fully into the lane. Frankly, I was flabbergasted that the driver kept coming over after it appeared she had looked right at me. Had I not seen her look at me, I definitely would have just slowed down -- much easier than going in a ditch

By the time it became apparent that the driver wasn't going to stay further left and would just continue on to the side of the road, I was up by the entrance to the bus. I was concerned that if I hit the brakes, I wouldn't slow down quick enough to avoid the butt-end of the bus. Nevertheless, your advice to see the squeeze before it happens is spot-on.

I'm still going to follow up with CMS. I've got no desire to get the driver fired, but I do want her supervisor to be aware. Either she didn't see me (which would be bad, because I'm an effing beacon of light), or she saw me and didn't care. Neither is good for someone driving kids around.
Old 02-12-17, 09:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with that pass. Report the driver.
It's not just the pass, it's the fact that the driver didn't respect the OP's right of way when he turned onto the OP's road. Definitely worth reporting.
Old 02-12-17, 09:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
To me it looks like the bus just didn't see you. Negligence, yes, but not malice.
Perhaps, but unacceptable regardless.
Old 02-12-17, 09:50 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Reporting them, consequences for their behavior is the only way it's going to change them. As you said, a conversation or plea is not going to do any good. If you believe you have the right to inflict injury and even death to cyclists, reason is not going to do any good.

Keep in mind, there are very few police departments now that don't have cops on bikes and motorcycles. It seems more and more cops take cyclist harassment personally.
Old 02-12-17, 09:50 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
Frankly, I was flabbergasted that the driver kept coming over
After being hit once and nearly hit at least 4 or 5 other times, I've learned to trust when I feel myself beginning to be flabbergasted like that on the road. As soon as I see a drive doing something that causes me to say to myself, "They're not really gonna do that, are they?" I immediately assume they are and I save myself one way or another (hop up on the curb, into the ditch, slam on the brakes, etc.
Old 02-12-17, 10:11 PM
reggieray
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What equipment are you using to film? I want to get those.
Old 02-12-17, 10:19 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
What is most disturbing to me, the few drivers who behave this way, is somehow they must be internalizing that a cyclist is not human, or a life form.
Old 02-13-17, 12:18 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Normally I'd agree with you -- my mantra is to always ride as though motorists can't see you.

Unfortunately, the fidelity of the video isn't quite as good as what can be seen in real life. Immediately after the pickup truck passes in front of the bus, the driver looks right at me. As mentioned, I was running a super bright flashing front light and hi-vis clothing, plus there were no other vehicles on the road. Considering she looked right at me, that gave me a high degree of confidence that she saw me.

On quite a regular basis I'll have people make left turns much like the bus driver did, but they almost always stay further left until they've accelerated past me before they transition fully into the lane. Frankly, I was flabbergasted that the driver kept coming over after it appeared she had looked right at me. Had I not seen her look at me, I definitely would have just slowed down -- much easier than going in a ditch
No one ever wants to see a cyclist hurt. I've seen it and it's really sickening. I've been riding in traffic since about '74, and I'm convinced of:

1 percent of the drivers couldn't care less if they kill you. Really.

Some drivers won't see you no matter what kind of headlight and fluorescent clothes you wear. You could be on fire and they won't see you.

The law does nothing to keep you from getting hurt. That's all on the rider. The law will find fault and hand out punishment, but it won't keep you out of the hospital or out of the ground. On a bike, you can be 100% in the right and be mangled or dead. In a collision you always lose. Always.

A part of your brain has to always be working to spot the danger in advance, and give yourself an immediate out. Usually the escape is to the right. And the right has 24" oak trees and limestone landscape boulders.

Ride safe, and I could have used better language in my earlier post. I never want to see any of us get hurt.
Old 02-13-17, 12:42 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Originally Posted by reggieray
What equipment are you using to film? I want to get those.

I'm running a Cycliq Fly12 and Fly6. I've been very pleased with both.

The Fly12 is particularly nice: it shoots full 1080 HD, has a 400 lumen light integrated (bright enough to use as a headlight at night), is compact, and has super long battery life for less than a GoPro. Plus you can connect your phone to it either via Bluetooth or wifi, and review footage/edit/share.

The Fly6 is also nice, but you can tell it was the company's first go at a bike camera. It's bulky for what it is, but shoots 720 HD, has only a 30 lumen light, and only 6 hours of battery life. There's no wireless connectivity, and it only outputs AVI format videos. The light isn't bright enough for me, so I run a second rear light in addition to this one. There's nothing else on the market that really does as good a job for the price, but it's still not as nice of a unit as the Fly12.
Old 02-13-17, 12:47 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Happens like every single day I take a bike ride out on a main road. Go ahead and report or whatever and do your thing but if that were the case, I'd have a backlog of so so many folks I'd be reporting that I'd never get out to ride again.
Old 02-13-17, 12:48 PM
WhyFi

I'm running a Cycliq Fly12 and Fly6. I've been very pleased with both.
Those are pretty cool. Will have to check them out when I'm in the market.
Old 02-13-17, 02:08 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
.. Immediately after the pickup truck passes in front of the bus, the driver looks right at me. As mentioned, I was running a super bright flashing front light and hi-vis clothing, plus there were no other vehicles on the road. Considering she looked right at me, that gave me a high degree of confidence that she saw me...
In that case, calling it in was probably the right thing to do. But there are three things I would throw out there:

1) At least on the video, the bus situation looked really obvious and avoidable with plenty of time to react, even factoring in the eye contact. I would go so far as to say it would be hard to time that encounter much worse than shown in the video

2) For some reason, cyclists sometimes don't register with drivers even when they see you. I've had discussions with motorists where eye contact and communication was made and then they do something insane for which they profusely apologize saying they did see me but somehow it didn't register they had to do something different.

3) In most drivers' heads, bicycles putz along at 8-10mph. A lot of drivers cannot fathom that many cyclists ride more than double that which you were at the time. So even if they do see you and it does register, they still time it all wrong.

I still think it's good for drivers to get talked to when they mess up (especially the kids that intentionally did something dangerous) -- helps them be mindful. BTW, nice footage.
Old 02-13-17, 05:08 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
First, I nearly got run over by a school bus (despite running a 400 lumen front strobe & high-vis clothing):

Then minutes later, I had this lovely encounter:
Wow, unbelievable.

In the second vid, did the kid hanging out of the window actually make contact with you?
Old 02-13-17, 06:19 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
Wow, unbelievable.

In the second vid, did the kid hanging out of the window actually make contact with you?
I think he might have lightly brushed my leg. I seem to recall feeling something, but couldn't say if it was road debris or increased wind pressure from the car being so close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.