Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weightlifting Lifting And Endurance Cycling

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Weightlifting Lifting And Endurance Cycling

Old 11-30-18, 06:37 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Wait, people shouldn't lift because it might lead to injury doing something other than lifting because lifting doesn't prevent all injuries? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
It took you until page 12 to feel that way??

Here's a better explanation of the point I think you were thinking of.

For some sports lifting is detrimental - like boxing.
For some sport lifting doesn't help.
For some sports lifting is pretty common (like football)...but it's still just a small component of what they do.

What they're trying to pretend is that guys like these guys:

Are going to go to the gym and have the same injury rate throwing 200lbs/400lbs on their back that these guys would have -

Football team warming up:

Another team warming up:

Another team practicing:

Just non-lifting warmups/workouts several days/week would greatly improve the injury rate for lifting. And that's before -
- Age, easier to avoid injury when you're younger.
- Genetics - a well funded / serious sports team is only going to have the people with good genetics for athletics.
- Other issues with self-reporting and trying to discern a conclusion from a self-selection non-random group.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 11-30-18 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 09:45 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Yeah this is exactly what you're doing.

You claimed "studies" like the anti-vaccine crowd did:
- Pushed a flawed or low quality study over and over again
- Refer to a study on a tiny self selected portion of the population
The study wasn't flawed, and was on people practicing the sport in question. It's not unreasonable in the least to expect a study of an athletic movement to be done using athletes.
Studies have said that vaccines cause autism, that people of a certain race have smaller brains, that smoking cigarrettes is good for you, and that "x/10 doctors recommend our product!".
All of which have turned out to be flawed and/or dishonest.
Ancedotal evidence is still evidence. It is not proof. My personal experience going outside and getting wet is not invalidated by your claim of having a study that says people went outside and didn't get wet.
It's crappy evidence. If you get rained on in the desert, it doesn't mean it's common.
Aside from the issues with studies in general, pretending a study on athletes applies to applies to everyone else is completely disingenous.
While not ideal, it isn't disingenuous.
- Looking at 15-21 year olds is not comparable to people in their 30's, 40's, etc. As you get older you become far more likely to become injured as a matter of biology and aging.
Why do you assume it was 15-21 year olds in the 9 studies reviewed?
- Athletes are training several times a week doing non-lifting things like warming up, mobility, running around on the field, etc.
An assumption on your part. You don't know what they're doing.
Their injury rate is not comparable to sedentary people who have spent 5 or more years sitting for 40 hours/week and often not doing anything more athletic than walking to their car, and then suddenly lifting huge amounts of weight as their only physical activity.
First, that's describes many people who have taken up the sport of powerlifting. I did pretty much this exact thing. Second, people actually competing are far more likely to push their limits than regular people at the gym.
- Coaches for the kind of sports teams who have a central training facility and report injuries to a central authority are the kind of teams who only have people with very good genetics/etc on them. Bad genetics for sports? You're not on the team? Mediocre genetics for sports? You're not on the team. Mobility issues that make you slower? You're not on the team. The coach of the team has already filtered out the average people so the only people still on the team have good genetics and are in good shape - you're only looking at a small group of people who are both inherently good at athletics and have been training for them.
So good genetics for a team sport somehow make you less injury prone in the gym? Do you have any evidence of this?
I said that my experience is based on people of a certain age and background that I know. You're hoping a word salad of "study athletes safe" means no one would actually think about how unrelated what you're posting is to the topic I was talking about.
You realize that your 3 (or now suddenly 5?) people isn't exactly an extensive set upon which to base conclusions on right?
By your "logic" apparently 80 year olds in a wheel chair are safe to do heavy squats, after all a low quality study of athletes said it was fine.
That's a strawman argument if there ever was one.

I have to give you credit for cramming a political level of manipulation in here.
- You clearly say "many" not "all" yet you argue as if it's "all". Why don't the other ones doing big heavy lifts? Maybe because the risk is much higher for them than the reward. You're back to "someone jumped out of an airplane and survived so it's safe for everyone" level of claim.
I said "many" because that is the truth. As to why not all do, you'd have to ask them. I'm sure some don't for valid reasons while others are lazy or ignorant. There are likely many sports where lifting is of little benefit (possibly cycling for one). No reward makes the risk/reward ratio pretty bad.
- You're trying to play a game of emotional association like "if you do this you're a serious athlete!"
This is simply false. This wasn't my point at all. You inferred incorrectly, or, more likely, are being intentionally dishonest here.
when in reality serious athletes are in an entirely different position - younger, in the best shape of their lives, likely a professional training them (someone who actually knows how to train "boringly" and more safely not someone following the absurdly bad lifting advice on the internet), good genetics for athletic stuff as if they didn't have that they would be on the team, etc etc etc.
Lots of seriously athletes are in their late 20s or older. Some probably do have a professional training them. Again, can you find any evidence that good genetics for a sport makes someone less injury prone in the gym. Again, my whole point was that if athletes who's multi-million dollar career depends on them being healthy are willing to squat, it probably isn't as dangerous as you make it out to be.
- You strawman literally everything I write to pretend I'm saying something you'd rather argue against rather than what I'm actually saying.
Please give an example.
- A whole bunch more I'm not even going to take the time to get into.
Odd, based on the length of this post, you seem to have plenty of time.
You seem to have spend a lot of time on political forums as you're very versed in their tactics where the any truth doesn't matter. You aren't even arguing against what I'm actually saying.
I don't spend any time on political forms. Again, you're the one being dishonest here.

Same things as before, but also there's a reason he says "suggests" it not "insists". That's not even getting into how much PR statements often don't really relate to what they actually do.
Why would he suggest something that is so dangerous?
That's not even getting into how much PR statements often don't really relate to what they actually do.
So now your argument depends on both me and him being dishonest.
But I didn't say no one can do squats, I said if you are the situation I've seen people be in - late 20's or older, working an office job for years where you're sitting, and getting advice on lifting from poor sources like the internet - then if you do heavy complex lifts my experience is you'll probably get seriously injured following that pattern.
The majority of evidence, but anecdotal and actually studies seem to indicate otherwise.

Same as before but you know that's not an argument against what I was actually saying. Gyms will "allow" you do to lots of things they're not liable for. Try hiring a personal trainer at the gym though, and suddenly you'll find that they're heavily steering you away from the free weights and trying to avoid you doing heavy lifts like squats, deadlifts, and bench press partly because they know the injury rate is higher with those and face more liability.
My experience has been that the vast majority of personal trainers are pro-free weights and pro-compound movements.

Do keep in mind: by your own admission, your gym experience is far less than mine.

Again with the "someone jumped out of a plane with a faulty parachute and lived, so everyone who does it lives!" level of absurdity.
Interesting that you don't see how your entire argument is based on this. Also, this is a poor analogy since my comment was about an entire sport. There are hundreds of masters lifters in my province.
I would bet most of the people doing that have suffered serious injuries. I've only met a few people who do things like that but they always seem to have a surgery story etc. And those are the ones I meet...if someone got seriously messed up I probably wouldn't meet them because they can't go out or at least can't do the physical activities I meet them at.
You would be wrong.

You are consistently in pushing manipulative arguing tactics and political level claims along the lines of "someone did this once and didn't die so it's 100% safe for everyone".
That isn't what I've said ever. But you'll no doubt keep pretending it is.
What I originally said was that no one is doing studies on people of varying ages, fitness levels, and backgrounds and their injury rate so there's not really any objective or scientific data on what the injury rate is to refer to. And after all this rubbish from you, that is still true. We don't have data on it above personal experience level.
What you originally said was that lifting weights is dangerous because you and two people you know got hurt. What I pointed out in reply was that what studies there are indicate lifting weights is no more dangerous than other common sports.

You've offered exactly the same thing as the anti-vacinne people. A flawed study, followed up by manipulative tactics.
Again the study was not flawed and there is nothing manipulative about pointing out the extreme limitations to your anecdotal evidence. Nor is there anything manipulative about pointing out my, similarly limited, anecdotal evidence that contradicts yours.
Then your claim is that I can't trust what I see with my own eyes, only you know the "real truth". I see a lot of that in political arguments. That's why they're so awful.
I claim you should put more faith in scientific data than a singular experience. The fact that it is cold outside today doesn't disprove global warming. The fact that you know someone who got hurt doing something doesn't make it inherently dangerous.

From what I learned later, the people who actually train people, face liability for injuring them, and know what they're doing - would generally never train people this way. Some of them don't like squats. Some of them do like squats but wouldn't just throw people under a heavy bar with near their max weight right away. I learned that most of the online advice is driven by sounding cool to people who don't really know what they're doing, without regard to effectiveness or safety, and you end up things being pushed that are mostly the opposite of what people who know what they're doing would do. (For example most online programs don't mention warming up which is critical, most online programs push excessive lower body work on people who's only goal is to look good which is absurd, most online programs push are just like "just jump into the gym near your max weight" whereas pro's do a lot of "boring" work with no or minimal weight to get peoples bodies used to lifting....the list goes on and on, most online advice centers entirely around cutting out anything that sounds boring or unexciting without any regard to whether it's a good idea.)
I know lots of famous online lifting programs. 5/3/1, smolov, 5x5, starting strength, stronglifts, sheiko, westside, Joe Defranco's programs etc. I'm not aware of any that suggests beginners lift near their max. I'd love to know where you got this advice?
I highly recommend that anyone who's in the same age/background/etc that I described be aware that there are risks to lifting. And if you're lifting via bad advice (much of popular online stuff about it) those risks are higher. People can make their own decisions on what level of risk they want to take, but not if they're being fed bad advice about those risks, and bad advice about how to decrease their risks.
Perhaps you can share some examples of this bad advice so we'll know what to avoid?

There seems to be some group of people really invested in telling people that it's risk free but then angrily attacking people who get injured to try to silence them,
I don't know anyone who says lifting weights, or any other physical activity, is risk free.

Ultimately it comes down to this. You say lifting weights is really dangerous based on your experience and that of a couple of people you know. I say the risk involved is fairly low based on a scientific review of 9 separate studies of injury rates, over a decade of personal involvement in the field, friendships with dozens of competitive lifters, the fact that athletes are willing to risk their extremely valuable careers to lift in the offseason, the fact that many coaches recommend squats and other heavy compound lifts and the simple fact that gyms manage to stay in business despite allowing this "dangerous activity" to continue.

It's pretty clear which side has the preponderance of evidence.
Old 11-30-18, 10:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
@OBoile, you have the patience of a saint.

CDC, NIH, and pretty much everyone else recommends that everybody who can should get 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise and 2 resistance training sessions per week.
Old 11-30-18, 10:07 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by redlude97
Wait, people shouldn't lift because it might lead to injury doing something other than lifting because lifting doesn't prevent all injuries? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
You and me both.
Old 11-30-18, 10:12 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
@OBoile, you have the patience of a saint.

CDC, NIH, and pretty much everyone else recommends that everybody who can should get 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise and 2 resistance training sessions per week.
But, but, following the CDC's advice is just the kind of thing those anti-vaxx people do.

It's a slow work week for me. I'll probably give up soon. It's clear that nothing is going to change that guy's mind.

Edit to add: if you think this is bad, you should see the kinds of things they say about cycling on weight lifting forms. It will wreck your back, wreck your knees, ruin all your "gains" and make you impotent. That is, if you are lucking enough to not get hit by a car.

Last edited by OBoile; 11-30-18 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 10:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I can personally attest that cycling doesn't make you impotent.
Old 11-30-18, 10:36 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I can personally attest that cycling doesn't make you impotent.
Me too. And since those commercials always say it affects 1 man in 3, I guess the next guy that posts here is in trouble.
Old 12-01-18, 01:12 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Hi,

What's this thread about?
Old 12-01-18, 01:41 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
The study wasn't flawed...
Originally Posted by OBoile
(Studies have said that vaccines cause autism, that people of a certain race have smaller brains, that smoking cigarrettes is good for you, and that "x/10 doctors recommend our product!".)
All of which have turned out to be flawed and/or dishonest.
Yeah, flawed and/or dishonest like what you're doing. Those people refused to accept that their original study/source was wrong. You refuse to believe what your own study says:

"Quality assessment - the results of the quality assessment are presented in table 3.One study was considered to be of ‘good’ quality.20 This was the only study that could answer question nine of the assessment tool ‘Were the exposure measures (independent variables) clearly defined, valid, reliable, and implemented consistently across all study participants?’. Four studies were considered to be of ‘fair’10 ,18 ,19 ,21 and four were of ‘poor’ quality... Since no study identified the possible risk factors, most studies were of retrospective design and generally of ‘poor’ or ‘fair’ quality; the information received from this systematic review is insufficient to address the potential for prevention. Future studies are needed to describe the specific injury types and risk factors for injuries in weightlifting and powerlifting."

This is what I was saying:
1. Tell people lifting safe and healthy.
2. People get hurt.
3. Attack anyone who talks about getting trying to silence them.

That you're attacking with exactly same tactics and the anti-vaccine crowd used...I don't even know what I could add to that.

Edit: No, wait, I stand corrected, I can. I think of the most annoying awful people I've ever had to spend time around in real life. Then I imagine them giving out advice, someone following their advice and it not working and making things worse, then them throwing a whole fit about how it wasn't their fault and they didn't say it and it definitely didn't happen. Now I can see it. You're basically Dolores Umbridge:

There we go, now it makes sense.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 12-01-18 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 05:31 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Hi,

What's this thread about?
A bunch of people are trying to convince a believer that god doesn’t exist. Pointless...
Old 12-01-18, 11:24 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
A bunch of people are trying to convince a believer that god doesn’t exist. Pointless...

I heard posting here would make you important...
Old 12-02-18, 10:36 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Well I've done six weight lifting workouts and haven't managed to hurt myself yet. I started out just doings reps with the bar and a more experienced lifter (my gf) watching my form to make sure it's on point. I've hurt myself cycling a few times in the last few years... knee issues and achilles issues. I haven't felt any problems in those parts so far with my lifting and, aside from some minor doms, I feel better already. I'm working on doing bench press, overhead press, deadlifts and squats; along with chinups and some rows for now. I will keep things pretty simple for the next 2 months and then look into branching out with more accessory work. Aside from riding bikes my work sometimes involves a lot of heavy lifting and I need to keep strong all year so it's unlikely I'm gonna give it up... I really enjoy lifting even though I'm super-new to it. Different kind of feeling after doing a challenging set. I also ride mostly long distance stuff so I am not really worried about maximum power output... when I was fatter I had no problems finishing 600k and even a 1200k ride so I don't really see any downside to adding some weight training to my life.