Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike of Flat pedals

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Mountain Bike of Flat pedals

Old 02-07-21, 09:56 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM

If your trails aren’t that difficult, you could even get by with your road shoes and pedals.
I would think it would really be challenging without pedals. But that's just me...
Old 02-08-21, 02:17 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Bigbus elk point office derogate amonita to the highest shelf for.
Old 02-08-21, 11:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
You’ve already gotten used to clipping in on your roadies, it’ll be cake to do the same on an mtb.

The only reason for someone already adjusted to clipless to have flats is to be able to wear regular shoes.

If your trails aren’t that difficult, you could even get by with your road shoes and pedals.
There are other reasons to use flats even if you are very 100% comfortable with clipless. Also, there are shoes designed for that which are far superior to regular sneakers or hiking shoes.

If road pedals and shoes work for you ... go for it.... but there are reasons that almost nobody MTBs with road clipless systems. Too slow to get into, and/or sketchy to walk in or throw a foot down on certain surfaces, and/or they clog up easily. I have been on two rides with people who were giving their road clipless a try for MTB. Both hated it. Even in my 100% clipless days, I would have picked flats over road clipless.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-08-21 at 01:28 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-08-21, 05:50 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bigbus elk point office derogate amonita to the highest shelf for.
Isn't that what I said?
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 02-08-21, 05:53 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kapusta
There are other reasons to use flats even if you are very 100% comfortable with clipless. Also, there are shoes designed for that which are far superior to regular sneakers or hiking shoes.

If road pedals and shoes work for you ... go for it.... but there are reasons that almost nobody MTBs with road clipless systems. Too slow to get into, and/or sketchy to walk in or throw a foot down on certain surfaces, and/or they clog up easily. I have been on two rides with people who were giving their road clipless a try for MTB. Both hated it. Even in my 100% clipless days, I would have picked flats over road clipless.
I have clipless on my Fuji, I would never even try them on my mountain bike. Plus, I don't want to destroy the shoes. My wife would kill me if I kept telling her I needed new shoes.
Old 02-09-21, 06:59 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Thanks for all of your reply's, I have been using SPD Pedals on my Road Bikes since 2011.I have them on the Mountain Bike( 2021 Scott 925 Scale) So far due to the weather I have only rode it twice. I have a lot to learn, Lots of Fun!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-21, 10:35 AM
benton1

Bikes: Fuji Origami 1.3 Folder,MetaPhysic, Michael Whitener road bike, Specialize Vita Comp Carbon Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I got cheap kids soccer shin guards and that solved the pin shredding my shins and my clothing. $19.