Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why no major German bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why no major German bikes?

Old 03-04-21, 03:13 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
/OT
That's curious. I have the same trimmer, but mine was made in the US.
Of course, I got mine from an OPE dealer, not a discount tool store, so that might be why.
Old 03-04-21, 03:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,049 Times in 3,806 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
What I wrote is not from my head, I am not that much die hard pro biking scene follower. That was the view taken by the TV commentators of the major pro races that caught my interest at the time. I am aware of all those names and teams you mention and of course the TV commentators too. I think it had to do with Germany not having their own big race(s) and popular home base for cycling and it being way richer economically than other EU countries. Like no one expects anything from its small neighboring countries, Czechs and Slovaks, whose talents have to leave and find place on some other countries, teams, sponsors (Sagan, Kreuziger, Stybar).
Prague also might host opening TDF stage one day like Germany did several times in past but that is about as far as it may go.

That the thread like this one was made in the first place is indicative of the general perception and it wouldn't exist if things were 'ALL RIGHT' in this direction as your reply would seem to indicate. When you say Italy, you can say in second breath Campagnolo bikes, Ferrari cars, when you say Germany, you can say Mercedes but you can't cite an iconic bike manufacture. And that is what this is about.
You indicated that there isn't - and hasn't been - a German team, with German sponsors. This is not correct...no matter who said it originally. That was my issue with your previous post.

I would agree that the quantity of pro-level bike racers from Germany is lower than some other EU countries where bicycle racing is a more deeply ingrained part of the nation's culture, such as Italy. Such is the nature of how nations develop their own "personality".
Old 03-05-21, 01:27 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Such is the nature of how nations develop their own "personality".
That's fair point. It is a very interesting subject. Also, to some extent it is not set in stone, things can change, at least somewhat, like bike racing used to be pretty well European thing, then Americans joined in, now you even have a fairly strong bicycling base in US with home racing scene, but still the wider popularity of the sport can't even come close to football, basketball.
Old 03-07-21, 03:29 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
That's fair point. It is a very interesting subject. Also, to some extent it is not set in stone, things can change, at least somewhat, like bike racing used to be pretty well European thing, then Americans joined in, now you even have a fairly strong bicycling base in US with home racing scene, but still the wider popularity of the sport can't even come close to football, basketball.
It can all change quickly based on one or two superstars. The US got a big boost from Lemond and Armstrong and Germany from Ullrich. In the UK we have seen a huge increase in the popularity of cycling among the middle-aged since Wiggins and Froome to the point where many golf clubs are going bust.
Old 03-08-21, 01:36 PM
Montobo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to take the subject of German/Schwinn bikes in America in a little different direction. The German-born, Ignaz Schwinn started the Schwinn company in 1895. Eventually, the company went bankrupt in 1992. The manufacture of the lower-quality bikes went to a string of corporate acquisitions (Pacific, GT, Windpoint, Dorel, Nautilus, Questor Partners Fund)--I am not concerned with this topic right now. In the meantime, Schwinn Paramounts, designed by Mark Muller, had been made at the Waterford, WI plant since 1980. Ignaz Schwinn's great grandson, Richard Schwinn and Mark Muller purchased the plant in 1993 to form Waterford Precision Cycles. Today, Waterford builds frames under its own label as well as for Rivendell Bicycle Works, Milwaukee Bicycle Co., and Shinola Detroit. Personally speaking, my Milwaukee bike is outstanding! And I am happy that Schwinn has carried on with bike-building in this way.
Old 03-08-21, 01:43 PM
Ford

Bikes: Riders: Bianchi sport/tourer and '73 Colnago Super - Also many fully restored Italian steel frame-sets for sale.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I suggest that since Europe is a relatively smaller and highly interconnected geography and there were many very well-established and respected bike brands available from neighboring countries, German makers may have decided to compete in other areas of manufacturing. Post-war, cars were it, once a renewed manufacturing base was developed. Bikes were not big business any longer. Perhaps for that reason German bike brands were not exported to the US, just as there are a great many "vintage" (60's, 70's, 80's) Italian brands never sent across the pond and thus unknown to most American cyclists.
Old 03-08-21, 01:45 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
YT Bikes
Old 03-08-21, 01:49 PM
antdd

Bikes: commuter: Soma Wolverine, Patria Roadster / cargo: Nihola Family

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
In the former eastern part of Germany is the oldest still existing German bike brand: Diamant, which also build the east's racing bikes. Some photos here (the models with FF in the name were the high-end, made for the Friedensfahrt (the TdF of the east https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Race) race -> https://www.diamantrennradkult.de/di...t-modell-1955/ ).

A lot of German bike and component brands were already mentioned, just some few more:
- Continental (there's not only Schwalbe...)
- some newer bike brands: Bombtrack (gravel), Veloheld
ok, that's all I have in mind right now, there are for sure some more...
Old 03-08-21, 02:23 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by antdd
In the former eastern part of Germany is the oldest still existing German bike brand: Diamant, which also build the east's racing bikes. Some photos here (the models with FF in the name were the high-end, made for the Friedensfahrt (the TdF of the east https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Race) race -> https://www.diamantrennradkult.de/di...t-modell-1955/ ).

A lot of German bike and component brands were already mentioned, just some few more:
- Continental (there's not only Schwalbe...)
- some newer bike brands: Bombtrack (gravel), Veloheld
ok, that's all I have in mind right now, there are for sure some more...

Diamant is owned by Trek
Old 03-08-21, 02:26 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford
I suggest that since Europe is a relatively smaller and highly interconnected geography and there were many very well-established and respected bike brands available from neighboring countries, German makers may have decided to compete in other areas of manufacturing. Post-war, cars were it, once a renewed manufacturing base was developed. Bikes were not big business any longer. Perhaps for that reason German bike brands were not exported to the US, just as there are a great many "vintage" (60's, 70's, 80's) Italian brands never sent across the pond and thus unknown to most American cyclists.

Smaller huh
Old 03-08-21, 04:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris

Smaller huh
why is Alaska misrepresented? & where is Hawaii?
Old 03-08-21, 05:39 PM
arhant

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Yeti Road Project

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Vintage Enik Iseran from Germany

This was purchased by a US serviceman in Germany and brought back to the US. It has Columbus Aelle tubing w. Shimano 600. The store is still in existence.
Old 03-08-21, 07:52 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I would agree that the quantity of pro-level bike racers from Germany is lower than some other EU countries where bicycle racing is a more deeply ingrained part of the nation's culture, such as Italy. Such is the nature of how nations develop their own "personality".
Part of it is the relative lack of popularity of cycling in Germany when compared to France or Italy, but I think a far bigger factor was the fallout of the various doping scandals. The most notable scandal was obviously Ullrich, but more broadly on tons of Germans on teams like Ullrich's T-Mobile and Gerolsteiner tested positive in those dark days. Germany took these scandals more seriously than most countries. In 2007, the major German TV networks ARD and ZDF refused to broadcast the Tour in Germany. By 2009, every German sponsor had pulled out of World Tour cycling. A German sponsor wouldn't return to the World Tour until 2015 when Giant/Alpecin (now DSM) came back in. In 2017, the Tour started in Germany, signaling the return of Germany to the cycling fold. This lost decade really hurt German pro cycling. The Aderlass scandal is now threatening to disrupt this momentum again...

One jarring fact I was reminded of while fact checking myself here: there hasn't been an Italian-registered team in the World Tour since 2016 when Lampre folded. Currently, Kazakhstan, Israel, the UAE and Bahrain all have World Tour teams but Italy has no team. That's really weird.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 03-09-21, 10:16 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris

Smaller huh
Russia isn't Europe. Not really.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 03-09-21, 10:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,049 Times in 3,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Part of it is the relative lack of popularity of cycling in Germany when compared to France or Italy, but I think a far bigger factor was the fallout of the various doping scandals. The most notable scandal was obviously Ullrich, but more broadly on tons of Germans on teams like Ullrich's T-Mobile and Gerolsteiner tested positive in those dark days. Germany took these scandals more seriously than most countries. In 2007, the major German TV networks ARD and ZDF refused to broadcast the Tour in Germany. By 2009, every German sponsor had pulled out of World Tour cycling. A German sponsor wouldn't return to the World Tour until 2015 when Giant/Alpecin (now DSM) came back in. In 2017, the Tour started in Germany, signaling the return of Germany to the cycling fold. This lost decade really hurt German pro cycling. The Aderlass scandal is now threatening to disrupt this momentum again...

One jarring fact I was reminded of while fact checking myself here: there hasn't been an Italian-registered team in the World Tour since 2016 when Lampre folded. Currently, Kazakhstan, Israel, the UAE and Bahrain all have World Tour teams but Italy has no team. That's really weird.
Good info. Thanks for that more in-depth analysis.

Not Italian team...wow! I didn't realize that, either. That's as surprising to me as learning that last year was the first time a Colnago-branded bike won the Tour.