Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Curious about threaded-headset folding bicycles.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-21, 03:26 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

I been considering the purchase of a KHS F20-JJ folding bicycle, for conversion to drop-bars. Since I see many other folding bicycles that appear to use this same technology, I thought that I might be able to get some info about the system as a whole, from this forum. This bicycle has a 1&1/8 threaded headset. I believe that it has a quill handlepost, and that a threadless stem is employed to secure the handlebars. This system would be all different from what the Dahon Speed (a threadless headset in conjunction with something other than a threadless stem) employs. So I'm curious about some things:

1. The handlepost on this bicycle folds to the outside. Can that be easily changed on these quill handleposts, so that it folds to the inside? Just loosen it up, rotate it around to whichever angle I want it to fold to and then tighten it back up?

2. How much height adjustment range does this system allow?

3. And an unrelated question: I don't see any magnet holding the fold together. Assuming that it doesn't include anything to hold the fold together, is there any way to make this happen so that I can roll it while in folded mode?
Old 04-11-21, 04:56 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I been considering the purchase of a KHS F20-JJ folding bicycle, for conversion to drop-bars. Since I see many other folding bicycles that appear to use this same technology, I thought that I might be able to get some info about the system as a whole, from this forum. This bicycle has a 1&1/8 threaded headset. I believe that it has a quill handlepost, and that a threadless stem is employed to secure the handlebars. This system would be all different from what the Dahon Speed (a threadless headset in conjunction with something other than a threadless stem) employs. So I'm curious about some things:

1. The handlepost on this bicycle folds to the outside. Can that be easily changed on these quill handleposts, so that it folds to the inside? Just loosen it up, rotate it around to whichever angle I want it to fold to and then tighten it back up?

2. How much height adjustment range does this system allow?

3. And an unrelated question: I don't see any magnet holding the fold together. Assuming that it doesn't include anything to hold the fold together, is there any way to make this happen so that I can roll it while in folded mode?

1. No. The angle will be completely wrong. But replacements are easy to come by.
2. dunno
3. Velcro straps are idiot-proof and hold better than magnets.
Old 04-12-21, 10:58 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Don't buy it on the assumption that the Dahon aftermarket parts will fit the KHS. Confirm. The Dahon Speed variants I am familiar with use an internally threaded headset and threadless stem.

As stated above just rotating will change the angle:

stolen picture from the internet

Dahon and Brompton use plastic catches to retain the stem while folded
Old 04-12-21, 03:25 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Actually, I'm sort of interested in it because it's not Dahon technology.
Here's the bicycle below. Doesn't appear to be any angle in the handlepost.
To me, that is straight and square with the headtube.
Old 04-12-21, 03:53 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I don't see how rotating the handle post would be a bad choice. If it won't fold properly it would be easy to put it back.
Likes For 12boy:
Old 05-10-21, 09:02 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Is anyone on this forum familiar with folding bicycles that have threaded headsets? I'd like to know what the options are for changing the height of the handlebars on them. The KHS F20-JJ doesn't appear to have a height-adjustable handlepost so, I'd like to know what I can do about that.
Old 05-10-21, 10:52 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
You can buy 1" and 1-1/8" quill type steerers that have adjustable height and are folding. Quality varies. I bought a 24 dollar unit originally for one bike, but I was worried about it snapping off. I didn't use it.

You can also buy a quill adapter that takes a 1-18" collar, Then you can install any number of 1 1/8" theadless steerers of adjustable height. That was my final solution. I liked the 1-1/8" steerer n my Downtube Nova, so I bought a spare part for about $80. Mounted that on a 1" threaded bike.
Old 05-11-21, 04:49 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
You can buy 1" and 1-1/8" quill type steerers that have adjustable height and are folding. Quality varies. I bought a 24 dollar unit originally for one bike, but I was worried about it snapping off. I didn't use it.

You can also buy a quill adapter that takes a 1-18" collar, Then you can install any number of 1 1/8" theadless steerers of adjustable height. That was my final solution. I liked the 1-1/8" steerer n my Downtube Nova, so I bought a spare part for about $80. Mounted that on a 1" threaded bike.
That's some helpful info. I think that I've seen some of the threadless steerer-posts that you're talking about. I might have to shorten the pieces of it in order to make it all low enough but, I'm feeling positive about it. It's all a lot clearer for me, now. Thank you!